Adding IAP to free app

Edit: i posted the wrong section lol

I just read the following section on the developer agreement:
3.5 You may also choose to distribute Products for free. If the Product is free, you will not be charged a Transaction Fee. You may not start charging a user for a Product that was initially free unless the charge correlates with an alternative version of the Product. The Payment Processor must process all fees a Developer receives for any version of a Product distributed via the Store.

After reading i am not sure if we are allowed to add IAP to a free app that didn´t had any IAP before or not? They are implying that is ok if its a different version but to they mean another app like “XXX Pro”?

Are there any forms to contact google and ask this?

What do you guys think?

That just means a free app can’t be changed to a paid app later. However, IAP can be added to both a free or a paid app.

Hi there that doesn´t make much sense since you cant do that on google developer console once you set free you cant change but wait i asked google about this and this is their response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Google Play Team.

At this time we are unable to comment on your planned implementation. It would be recommended to submit a separate version, if you’d like a paid version of your app.

You may want to review our program policies before submitting your app.

Google Play Developer Program Policy:
Google Play

App Rating Guidance:

Google Play Apps Policy Center:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/113474

Be advised that any perceived compliance or non-compliance of other developers’ apps has no bearing on the compliance of your own apps.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your understanding and continued support.

Regards,
Bruce
The Google Play Team

So, they don´t comment on this but they recommend creating a separate version

I’m sure you can add or remove IAP from any app anytime you want, without having problems with Google.

If you add IAP, it means Google will earn more money.

Hi there i guess what you say makes sense but why would google say they didn´t comment on my situation and recommend creating a separate version then?

Maybe they didn’t understand, and as usual, Google isn’t answering straight, but very generic.

They could just reject your update, or give an alert in the apk as soon as you upload. Or just block it, as they do when your application is free not allowing you to change the price (Apple is handling this much better).

I wouldn’t worry about it.

I don’t think that you will have a problem i have seen again the behaviour of starting with the free model and as the app grows adding IAP.

But on the other side this is google and with google you will never know…

That just means a free app can’t be changed to a paid app later. However, IAP can be added to both a free or a paid app.