IAP in an Arkanoid clone

What do you think would be the best way to go about IAP in an Arkanoid-type game. Virtual coins/gold/gems or maybe paying for special upgrades in cash instead of in gems? Ability to skip levels / add lives?

I also wonder what ads to put - interstitials or banners. I will probably go with interstitials to check the waters (banners in such games would have very low CTR anyway while interstitials can be shown between levels quite frequently since levels will be short).

I have thought for a while to develop and arkanoid-type game with in app purchases, but still waiting for Google to include Chile into “the list”. I would have a banner during the whole game + an interstitial every between a given number of levels (1 per level would be too much). The IAPs would consist of a complete new set of stages (same ammount as free ones), the option to buy more lives and special powers. Any IAP would also include ads removal. Actually, it sounds exactly like what you proposed, but the trick would be the way the game is played, the stages are completed and how the IAPs determine your success/failure.

Buying levels through IAP is not recommended. But I think lives, special powers should make people buy…

I’ve already had an arkanoid game on the market for a couple years. It has IAP to buy level packs. Also if you buy one of the level packs it turns off the banner ads.

I haven’t made much money with this game, but it doesn’t have a lot of downloads for 2 years on the market. Not thats it’s not fun, I guess I just didn’t market it well. First year or so I only showed banners on menus and between levels and made about $0-$0.30 a day from ads. Now I show the ads always and make about $0.40-$1.0 a day. And get an occasional iap, but not very often. It gets about 50 downloads per day. I’ve moved on to making new apps and try to market them better.

If your interested its https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xdebugx.dagazEhwas