Technical resources for Android developers

Hi David,

Nice blog and very impressive goal. I was looking around in the net for resources and how-to’s related to Android and stumbled upon your blog.

Been visiting the blog for around a month now. Good next step as a FORUM. Clever thing to do.

BTW, I am a Java developer with good experience in Java. I have registered at Google Android site and ready to upload Android apps(if ready :slight_smile: ). Now, I am scrambling through the Android documentation to develop my app. Also, I am setting up my site. Should be up within a couple of weeks.

Can you please help me with reference to technical stuff ? Is there any other stuff useful and effective apart from official documentation from Google ? I got few PDFs from net for Android but I am kinda programmer who dives in first(with programming) and swim to come out of it…

Any references to tech material other than Official Doc would be really useful. I might need some help with non-tech stuff like Marketing…etc. but later. First things first.

We shall try to help each other out. Please let me know if you need any kinda help with technical stuff in a month’s time. I should be Up and kicking by then.

You can touch base with me at sa<dot>vickram<at>gmail<dot>com.

Add a thread for Introductions in the forum. Would be helpful for all members when the community becomes big.

:-).
Cheers,
Vickram.

I’ve added an Introductions thread now.

Hi Vickram,

With regards to technical material, I normally just check out Stack Overflow when I have a problem - it usually points me in the right direction. Otherwise the official docs are the place to go.

Other resources I’ve found useful include:
[ul]
[li]Android developers blog
[/li][li]Romain Guy’s blog
[/li][li]Android sample apps
[/li][li]AndDev forums.
[/li][li]Sony’s tutorials
[/li][/ul]
Most of the time though, I just get stuck into the coding, and learn things by doing them. So that means a lot of Googling!

If you’re looking for technical study material, here are some books you might want to consider (note: I haven’t read any of them, just seen them mentioned around the place):
[ul]
[li]Professional Android 2
[/li][li]Beginning Android 2
[/li][li]Pro Android 2
[/li][li]The Android Developer’s Cookbook
[/li][/ul]
Hope some of these resources are helpful for you. Also, feel free to ask any questions here in the forum if you’re stuck and Google doesn’t turn up any info. I’d be happy to help out :slight_smile:

Cheers,
David