Profanity app

Once I heard that the "Fart App’’ on iOS made 10.000$/ day, I felt pretty depressing.

It acted as a trigger in consciousness of developer, mostly young developer about the idea of “getting rich quick” through vulgar and non beneficial app.

What’s your idea on this, is this somehow discourage you to make a traditional app that can have great value and worth the bucks ?

I’ve struggled with this a bit myself. So far my most “useless” app (Fake iPhone 4S) is by far the most popular. On the other hand, my more “useful” apps (such as Micro CPU Monitor) have had good ratings, but continue to fall far behind in terms of downloads & revenue.

Based on this experience, it doesn’t really make business sense to develop a very function app with good value. Far better to make one of those quick “fart apps”, and bring in the dollars from a proliferation of low-quality, high-appeal apps.

Not saying this is what I’ll actually be doing :wink: There is something to be said for keeping up personal standards, and actually developing something which you would enjoy using yourself. But it looks like it can be an uphill struggle to make money on Android as an independent developer with high functionality apps.

My view on it boils down to this:

• I don’t care if people are making and downloading “fart” apps. I have no desire to, I don’t see the point, but then I think very little of most of humanity so I’m hardly surprised.
  • If someone’s going to be so influenced by these that this is all they end up “creating”, I really don’t think we’ve lost a great mind in the development community.

Basically I’m happy to use it as a way of quickly identifying people I probably won’t get along with. It’s the same reason I don’t encourage people to hide their American accents* :wink:

• Disclaimer: That was a joke. Mostly.

Im still struggeling with the concept. Because in my oppinion those prank apps will only be used a couple of times for each download. That means you will have to get your money from new users. If you make a quality app the users will more likely buy the pro version or continue to use the free version with ads. Lets say you need 10000 new downloads a month with a prank app to make money, you might only need 50000 total installs from a quality app. Now these figures are made up and I have nothing to compare against, but thats my vision.

Still if you target a niche market like David said with a cpu monitor app, you will likely never get rich of it.

I guess I should carry on a test, I have made a poetry app and it’s abysmal in terms of downloading times.

I will now make a very quirky and low value (might be offensive) app, to see if there are any responses in term of theory evaluation.

Wish me luck guys :smiley:

I have a “Fart Board” like app. Dental Drill is surely absolute useless and a waste of time.

I just made it one day because I was bored. I had released a new game and there was no other project in the queue. And suddenly there was this idea…
from the idea to the final release it took exactly 4 hours. Then it was time to cook a meal for my kids coming back from school…

I think there are so many people just looking for such useless stuff. They don’t need a high sophisticated bureau management software with integrated logistics support and what so ever. All they want is to fool their friends. Give them the ammunition they need!

Unfortunately, getting rich through obscene and vulgar things is always easier, as they have a very broad target audience such as teenagers and just unintelligent people, and it makes me sad, too, but it is kind of a social phenomenon… :frowning:

ringtone maker free