WordHero: the story

Yeah, WordHero was on page 500 or something of the Puzzles and Games category… only 2k installs on Google Play in a year. Amazon of course had > 35k installs.

Wow, I was playing wordhero and usually I see about 100-120 just now I saw about 270 people. So I was looking through the play store and it was 157 in brain & puzzles section congratulations!

I like your installs graph on Google Play today - a straight line up :slight_smile:

Well, I think we went from 2k installs to 12k installs overnight :slight_smile:

In fact, I had to make changes to the server side code so that logging worked again. I used to pull the game results for a day, then iterate over them. This was fine with 100-200 people per game.

However, with 200-400 people in a game, Google App Engine times out when trying to retrieve the stored results. Probably because I am going over some internal limit or something.

So I did some re-writing… you can check the user play time graph (Income thread on WordHero) to see what the spike looks like in terms of number of people playing.

What? There is an IndyGame Category? It does not show up for me, where is it?

+1

Play → Games → Featured … scroll down.

Definitely not a new Category… more like an orphan section with a link from the “Featured” page.

hmm… is this section named or something? cannot see any difference naming “indy” or something (i am in europe)

Might be USA only version of Play ?

It looks like this:

Its was also on the main page.

http://i.imgur.com/cpdTR.png

btw.: I HATE when websites use your IP as language detection instead of what your browser asks for … how dumb is that?

EA has the same idiotism in origin where you can explicitly select your lang and paypal is not able to show different sites of their support section without having a “proper” ip from a “proper” land…

ok back to topic (g) I do not have these indi games. not in web and not on phone … so not available in spain it seams :wink:

Probably because the game is not localized ?

Hey mind I just read this post for the first time, thanks a lot for sharing, that’s very insightful!!

I’m glad WH is getting so much attention lately, you definitely deserve it, WH has grown into a very complex game!! =)

Congrats, brother!!

Thanks! It is hard to believe that version 1.0 was launched 19th August 2011. A year ago I was hard at work on it already :slight_smile:

Many congratulations! How are you doing now compared to your original goals? Did you have to apply to have WordHero featured, or did it happen on it’s own? Congrats again!

Original goals were based on a misconception. That misconception was : you could get $1-2 eCPM on a 30 second ad rotation on 320x50 banner ads.

So there is no way I will ever get there…

As far as users/game… I currently have more than I originally planned.

I got featured because I blew away the Google Friday Games Review team. They recommended WordHero get featured.

mind, i like your game a lot. fyi… i’m seeing a game which looks exactly same as yours and same gameplay of playing against everyone on single board on windows phone, its called wordament…looks like it release last year

Yep, I had users complain in reviews that WordHero is a rippoff of Wordament. In reality, WordHero was released over a year ago and was in development for a while before that.

Original versions of WordHero were very different to what it is today. It seems the two have evolved into something similar due to feature requests by users. A study in evolution perhaps ?