WordHero income report

Trying to get my thread back on track :slight_smile:

Some revenue numbers from yesterday (now that more people have converted to updated tablet version!). Maybe yesterday was just a random good day, but hopefully it is a sign of things to come!

300x250:
Impressions: 29.5k
CTR: 0.88%
eCPM: $0.92

320x50:
Impressions: 33k
CTR: 0.49%
eCPM: $0.34

I think that is a stunning result.

Reasons (compared to Velti report linked here):

1. 300x250 ads approach iPad eCPMā€™s and are in the range of the top 3 highest paid categories
  2. 320x50 eCPM is close to what Velti reports as the average for this format.

Compared this to when I was using Mobclix and my figured looked like this for February:

Impressions : 1.25 million
CTR: 0.37%
eCPM: $0.13

Summary:
Mopub + others + tablet version + optimized advert layout and optimized refresh rate = $40/day
Mobclix = $163/month

Sooā€¦ if your figures donā€™t look like thatā€¦ it might be time to update/fix your app !

Haha yeah sorry for getting sidetracked! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow!!! Thatā€™s amazing, mind!! Congrats!! I guess we should all be trying out tablet ads! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, as I mentioned in another post:

We should all be writing weather apps for tablets that show 300x250 adverts and then do full-screen interstitials.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yesterday was my best day ever.

300x250:
Impressions: 50k
CTR: 0.69%
eCPM: $1.28

320x50:
Impressions: 42.5k
CTR: 0.36%
eCPM: $0.59

Total income: $89

Now all I need to is write a bunch more equally popular games :slight_smile:

that eCPM in relation to the low CTR is really stunning :wink: was it mopub?

Wow mind, thatā€™s amazing!! Congratulations! =D

Definitely, start putting out more cool games! :stuck_out_tongue:

btw: Robo Miner did 95$ yesterday with 110k impressions and a CTR of 3% ā€¦ itā€™s time to switch the ad-provider xD

(and this was one of the better days this month with an eCPM of 0.86$)

Well, part of the high payout is that more than half the adverts are 300x250. These pay a LOT more than banner adverts.

This revenue was not directly from Mopub. They just provide the infrastructure to talk to other providersā€¦ eg: Jumptap, Millennial Media, Admob, etc and custom ones like Smaato, Leadbolt, etc.

Thatā€™s great! Good to see the work on adverts is paying off. I reckon youā€™ve got about 6 months to perfect & grow this advertising setup now, before holiday season comes again and completely changes the budget & campaign allocations :wink:

Which means I have about 6 months to finish and launch my next game with micro-payments!

Some numbers from yesterdayā€¦ my new best day.

300x250:
Impressions: 49k
CTR: 0.69%
eCPM: $2.15

320x50:
Impressions: 43k
CTR: 0.30%
eCPM: $0.68

Total income: $133

This canā€™t lastā€¦ CPC is WAY too high !

Hm - the 300x250 equals 5x the normal banner in size - so maybe thatā€™s how they calculate the CPC for advertisers - and the high CPC.

I have one of this big rects in Tablet Tower Defense beside the menu on tablets but cannot see any difference in revenue - well that game is not played very often and does only gather up to 1000 imps per day so maybe I cannot rely on a decent base of calculation xD

To cheer you up: that is more revenue per day as Robo Miner (yesterday ~100$, 117k imps, CTR 2.61%, eCPM 0.79) which uses 320x50 only (in fact it uses other dimensions as well dependend of the screen size, but always banners)

I reckon an eCPM of $2.15 is possible. Iā€™ve got something like that for 320x250 banners (presented as an interstitial) before. The bigger adverts definitely work a lot better than small ones.

Iā€™m currently getting about $5-6 eCPM from LeadBolt with an App Wall, and $2.50 from Millennial Media with interstitials & video ads. So advertisers are willing to pay that much, for good quality adverts.

Mind - Iā€™ve been playing your game a little lately. One very minor suggestion.

When Iā€™m trying to get the bonus and there is one tile that I canā€™t seem to find two words for. When the results come up it is very cool how you can click on that tile at it tells you all the words that letter can be used in.

But if that letter is on more than one tile for that board it shows all words that letter can be used in and not just that tile. I find myself clicking down on each word real fast since it shows the path for that word. And try to find the ones that include the tile that I couldnā€™t find words for. It would be cool if when you clicked the tile it just shows the words that the tile are used in instead of the letter is used in.

Love the game. It may be more trouble to filter the words by the tile used instead of by the letter than it is worth. Or there may be a better reason for filtering by letter instead of by the tile that I am not realizing. But just a small little suggestion.

Short story: Yes. This is by design.

Long story: I would need to actually solve the board on the Android device. This would involve building a Directed Acyclic Word Graph (DAWG, see here: Directed acyclic graph - Wikipedia) among other things and then tracking every word based on each tile it passes through. This is a LOT of code and quite frankly, a pain-in-the-ass. I know, because my board solver that I use to generate boards has to solve every board to ensure it follows rules (2 words for each tile + minimum number of words and themes / etc). My board solver is written in Python.

At the moment, I use a 1-liner to which is part of the Android API to filter based on a letter. Soooo much easier!

But yesā€¦ I totally agree that I should do it. Someday. :slight_smile:

I figured there was a reason for it. But I thought I would mention it in the slim chance it was something that was overlooked.

Most users would probably never noticeā€¦ or at least never think that it could work differently. Just my own need to solve the frustration from not being able to figure out at least 2 words the damn tile can make. Itā€™s always the ones in the corner surrounded by all consonants. Evil little tiles they are. hahaha

There is actually a GOTCHA here. It is possible for a tile to ONLY have two words associated with it. It is also possible for one of those words to be spelled somewhere else on the board.

Now if you spell it somewhere elseā€¦ you lock yourself out of getting both words on the tile with only two words.

Some strategy might be required :slight_smile:

WordHero is being featured on Google Play. Not sure how long it will last, but the image in the first post of this thread is linked to a Google Spreadsheet, so it auto-updates when I update the spreadsheet (every day or so). You can clearly see the jump last night in number of players.

We went from around 160 players/game (evening peak) to around 320.

Wow mind, congratulations, thatā€™s FANTASTIC!! Iā€™m sure the numbers will keep growing over the next few days!! =D

There is no image in the first post (firefox and opera) just some broken image code.