Video Ads

yes madhatter definitely, banner ads have low eCPM but way more impressions per user than interstitials (including video), push, or anything else assuming your active user % is decent.
imo it’s important to have all of it rather than choose.

gordonb:

Adcolony video ads - how short are these ads - 30 seconds ?

Is the fill rate of 20% visible on their webpages ?

With adcolony - what is the policy on:

• completed video view
  • partial video view

A more graceful solution for video ad campaigns maybe to stick with the video ad format BUT to tailor the length of the ads. For non-wifi just deliver extremely short videos (or ones which utilize slow motion and a voiceover) - i.e. something bordering on an animated gif.

From comments here or in the Airpush Smartwall thread - it seems they ARE delivering the doing something like that - i.e. switch to full screen banner if no wifi.

Is Airpush Smarwall somewhat separate from all the Airpush notification stuff - i.e. not going to get the app labelled as “virus” ?

@adforandroidapps:

• adcolony ads are more like 15 seconds

• i’m not sure about the completed video view vs. partial, good question though !!

• regarding extremely short videos, since the videos are streaming the length doesn’t matter so much…either way it will be poor with a weak connection. video ads simply don’t work unless the user has a fast connection.

• re Airpush SmartWall, yes it shows very low bandwidth ads (like ‘Dialog Ads’) when the user’s connection is slow. Regarding not being labeled as an Airpush app, per my AM at Airpush they are launching an ‘in-app only’ SDK which will just have SmartWall with NO opt-in screen and NO push/icon libraries.

I think a 15 second video could (and should) be cached (esp. if you are putting a limit on how often you show such ads in the first place - for example not closer than 2 minutes to each other) - 2 minutes is a reasonable time to accumulate a short video on a non-wifi connection (though there maybe other reasons to avoid using bandwidth on non-wifi - the high cost of data plans in some countries).

My sense is that doing “streaming” is toxic for an interstitial view - but I wouldn’t be surprised if that is what the video ad folks do.

Has anyone tested Greystripe - do they also show ads according to connection speed ?

quote:

• re Airpush SmartWall, yes it shows very low bandwidth ads (like ‘Dialog Ads’) when the user’s connection is slow. Regarding not being labeled as an Airpush app, per my AM at Airpush they are launching an ‘in-app only’ SDK which will just have SmartWall with NO opt-in screen and NO push/icon libraries.

Interesting - I’ve put in an e-mail to airpush to confirm if this is available in the current SDK v5.0 or later.

Airpush replied saying their in-app SDK (for Airpush Smartwall) should be done next week.