This might dramatically change things for the worse

do u realize that this is just 1 ad placement box. not whole internet?

they cant make it cheap. if i am bidding $0.1 per click on this particular lucrative placement, my competitor will bid 0.11 and so the bidding war begins. this is going to be most expensive ad placement when compared to other. so costly that only big brands will be able to utilize it. and soon it will develop ad blindness. people will start ignoring those irrelevant ads and just scroll down. like i said before, its going to affect your organic downloads. nothing else

My 2 cents on the issue:

Of course, when a big player like google adds an option to advertise in the appstore, it’s not good for the other networks or the developers themselves. However… don’t forget that the entire advertising ‘pie’ is constantly growing.

Look at Facebook - almost not existing in 2012 (for mobile advertising), and today one of the first places developers go when they promote their apps. They had about 5% market share in 2012, now it’s more then 20% (see here). And even though they became very big, most of you kept on making a lot of money using ad networks. The reason is - the entire mobile advertising market grew, and it will keep growing in the next few years (probably).

(My) conclusion - it might cause a small hit, but most of us will still be in the same palce we are in today. Just keep making good & popular apps…

Advertising in the Playstore is one thing (probably trusted by big companies), but, for me, this won’t stop the ads in the apps.

People are not always looking for new apps in the playstore. Many of them never launch the store from themselves.
Big companies will continue to advertise in the app.

In addition, many of the big companies app have same style (clash of clans, e4k, bloom beach, …) they would want to advertise for the same place in the store but they won’t be able to… This place will be expensive.
They will continue to buy cheap advertisement in the apps

like i said before, this is just another channel for advertisers to bring downloads, like adwords is for websites. i will certainly be trying it out once its out of pilot program.

depends on the ROI… may be expensive but the targeting will be better than another channels… the marketing budget is fixed amount… so where will be better to invest it ? ad networks or hit the users in play store?
believe it or not but this is great for Google - their ecosystem is based on ads and they try to get as many as possible more money from advertisers…

Well my two cents is that Android has been getting worse for small indie developers ever since the Android Market changed to Google Play. This is just another step in that continual direction.

Are they really? If you are a talented/experienced developer you can still easily earn more than someone working at a big company. We shouldn’t forget that the big players need a bit more money to survive than a one-man-team. I think it’s pretty balanced. It’s rather a matter of skill, than a matter of developer size at this point.

Yes, I agree that you can still make more working as an independent developer, no doubt about that at all. All I was saying is that Google has continually made it harder for the small developer, and I expect the trend to continue. That does not mean they have made it impossible. But the freedom and openness that originally came with Android has long gone now. It really has no advantages over Apple at this point, as far as I am concerned.

Honestly, after working on all three major mobile platforms for the last few years, I can safely say that Google is by far the worst when it comes to developer relations. I have had an actual real person from Apple call me on the phone when they thought an app of mine fell out of compliance and needed to be changed. Google will just suspend your app with no real way to appeal. They nuke peoples Adsense accounts for no good reason with no real way to appeal, people who rely on it for their livelihood.

And yeah, I agree that a company like Google needs more cash flow than an indie developer, but I don’t think that means we cannot discuss the fact that the deal for the developers has gotten worse over the years. And an independent developer is a business as well, and we should share ideas on information on what companies are doing good for us and which ones aren’t. Not just blindly follow one who is rapidly turning into early-2000’s era MSFT.