Suppose you earned $1 million from an app, what will you do with that money?

Wow, this is a tough job. Much tougher than what we do now.

That’s true. There is a lot of headache in it and in the end of the day you only get paid for building the app. If it goes on to make 10million in the next 6months you’ll be gutted you didn’t make it for yourself

Yeah, maybe. But at least that is not like a lottery - as we do now. You get a project, and you know approximately how much time you need for it, and how much money you ask for it. I will at least try and see how it goes :slight_smile:

So you want to be a freelancer? I was one. I backed the f… out of there as soon as the money made from Android games allowed me to do that.

Clients are insane. Do you have a really stupid review of your app? Imagine the guy who left that comment. Now imagine him calling you on Sunday evening with a new idea to add to the project you are making for him. And the same next Sunday. And the next… Not to discourage you, some people love working with clients/other people, I just don’t which is why I see such job as really, really tough. :slight_smile:

@Magnesus, at which time do you go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning. Managing time being free from office stuff is very tough. I ask because I am also planning to resign from my full time job next month.
Sudden boost in one of my app and I have jumped from $116 to $200 per day. Half of @Alkaline :smiley:

Is it the effect of your apps convertion into IOS or in android itself

It just takes discipline ;-). I work from 8:00 - 17:15 at home and have always been punctual.

I usually start the day at 9:00 but I work from 13:00 to 17:00. And go to sleep late at night.
Sometimes I work longer, when I need to finish something fast or am “in a phase” (usually I add additional hours in the evening then and work to very late hours).
I suppose I would earn much more if I managed to work 8 hours a day like a “normal” person. But I had depression when I was younger because of 8 hours / day office (+2 hours in a bus or car) work so I am willing to sacrifise everything (money included) to not have to work like that again. I suppose on average I work 6 hours a day max…

I am studying English at the same time (on Fridays and Saturdays) so I make my Fridays free from work but I sometimes work on Saturdays.

from android only. apple sucks. They are not approving my apps. On android, you can upload any kind of app but not on apple store and I can’t ignore iOS development.

Not exactly as a freelancer. I worked as a freelancer for some time, and I know it sucks, I even rejected all other freelance project offers because of exactly same reasons as you said. But when you have a company that makes apps, you make most of the requirements and plans in advance, so you don’t have so many requests to change the apps afterwords.

Now I have a part time job in a company that does what I want to do, and we don’t have so many problems with customer requests. It happens very rarely, when customer wants something different than we agreed before.

But still not sure yet, I will analyse the circumstances before I start that. (I just also have some friends who ask me to open a company, so that we do stuff together, maybe that is another reason :D)

im a 3rd of the way there earned around $360,000 lifetime on apps in past 3-4 years, don’t ask where the money went as I am flat broke. Made over $150,000 lifetime just from airpush revenue and 100,000 from leadbolt, but the majority of this came in 2011-2012 when notifications were hopping and reproducing money like bunny rabbits. went from 20k a month to just barely doing 3k a month now. Did a lot of foolish spending I highly regret.

Is that $3k a month all from livewallpapers? do you still use push notifications for the apps you publish outside of Google Play?

Hookers and cocain…errr… I mean… “pay taxes on it” :slight_smile:

Seriously… taxes first, then reinvest it in apps or the mortgage.

I made some money, the kind of money that I am not comfortable talking on public forums about… but I spent it on stupid shit, and not only cars or booze and fancy stuff, but like buying apps from other developers and never updating them after that… because i had no time to care.

If you think about it, there is a lot of money around, I am sure all of you know someone who has money, or at least you know where to ask if you needed lots of money for a project. I know I have contacts with a decent money but when it comes down to it, its how you save and able to keep that money is what counts. When you get that “perfect app” made, you are hesitant to ask others for money, because you know you can make that money yourself.

I think the key to making your first million is not biting off more than you can chew. Stay conservative and make sure to do what you do best, and not get off that path too much. If you start making money and feel like you need to have more expenses to lower your taxes, STOP. Just pay the taxes, save your cut, and don’t jump around looking for more projects to run.

“If you ain’t first, you’re last” quote from a movie. So if your app is not #1 in its niche, work harder at it :wink:

Good luck!

P.S. to the guy who wants to start their own development firm, that’s called having a job, you can find one on freelance websites today, $1m not required!

Yeah, I’ve spent more than I have made at this point… I’d be happy making a reasonable passive income. With 1M I would reinvest it into growing an app business.

–Edit–
Also to the guy wanting to start a dev firm. I worked in custom development for a previous company. It was horrible. Sales promises clients everything in a short time period. One project was WAY overbudget. We had multiple developers working on it for over a year. The promised time-frame? Two weeks. 400+ pages of documentation. That’s a worst case scenario, but I don’t know why anyone would want to work on other peoples ideas. They don’t know what they want half the time anyway. I so badly wish I didn’t start down that path and get stuck in it. I would be happy living off bare minimum, making apps, and not working for someone else if I didn’t have a family to provide for.

Those Angry Birds guys made 50 games that sucked and lost money until they made Angry Birds. If you like making games it will payoff one day.

Man, I hope so. Thanks for the encouragement.

Im still 20X away from it. But planning won’t hurt :smiley:

Thats a huge amount but its possible. If I earned 1m, I would spend it for a new company

Has anyone here have $50K (annually) in revenue on games or apps?