Non-Intrusive Ad Network

I think you really should try final step: remove airpush from libs/ and comment out lines in java source that show up errors. This should not take more than few minutes to test.

I copied workspace (so I could restore later) - then could easily comment out everything that showed red (after removing Airpush library from libs/). Removed Airpush mention from AndroidManifest.xml also.

Proguarded APK - does NOT register as “Intrusive Malware” or anything by AVG Antivirus now (re-scanned in AVG Antivirus).

The proguarded APK also does not get flagged as “Intrusive Malware”.

This confirms that the issue was Airpush.

Well, some good news (if you wanted support from Airpush for “in-app SDK”) - Google has just banned all push ads, startapp-like icon and bookmark ads etc.

http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/advertising-networks/2308-google-play-content-policy-update.html

This means now Airpush HAS to support their “in-app SDK” instead of ignoring it - also they will have get it cleared by AVG Antivirus etc.

Airpush should now ALSO move to make their SDK have a real name instead of the “sounds fishy” com.XXXXX.YYYYY generated per-user.

The original intent of this move was to allow Airpush to escape the radar - as each developer’s SDK would have a different name (as if they created those themselves).

Now that Airpush will ONLY be dealing with in-app SDK (everything else is banned) - we SHOULD get some support.

So, for now, I will KEEP the Airpush “in-app SDK” - even though it is being flagged by AVG Antivirus.

By the way, a possible affectee of this move would be the “antivirus” companies - with MUCH LESS bad apps (even high download apps which behave badly) - the value proposition of an antivirus is now reduced to just scanning for “new apps” - and even that can be reasonably done by users by letting others try them out first and reading reviews.

The Android space is rapidly getting much more simpler in this sense - by this Google move.

Yes, seems avirus companies will have to redefine “Intrusive adware” in the upcoming days, and find new niches :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually yes, the new Google update regarding push-ads and other intrusive type of ads is a good thing. Yeap, we might lose some revenue that we were making with this push-ads, but now the whole conception of “Intrusive Adware” should disappear, which means the AirPush in-app SDK will(or at least should) pass any antivirus control :slight_smile:

And all the advertisers who were paying for sending push-ads and icon ads will now pay for in-app banners I guess, which is kinda awesome. And maybe the advertisers from intrusive networks(StartApp etc) will go to a less intrusive network(AirPush hopefully lol), which should lead to higher payouts for developers.

Let’s see what AirPush and antivirus companies will do regarding this. I’m happy with this new update :slight_smile:

We are aware of the issue. We’ve tested every other antivirus application on the market. AVG is the only one that flags our SDK as malware. We are working on it and should be resolved shortly.

Thanks