New Ad Policy on Google Play

sounds good - curious about how the push ads will work afterwards :slight_smile:

X2

The way I read the new policy, push notifications are still perfectly ok. The only things they’re really cracking down on are push ads which simulate system notifications.

So this means Airpush, LeadBolt, SendDroid & any others will probably stop running ads such as “Your battery is low”, which are designed to confuse the user.

Most push notification ads already seem to have the app name appended at the end of the ad text. You just have to long-press the notification to see that. I suspect this is all Google’s really asking for here.

I’m glad they’ve released this new developer policy. Everything they’ve written seems quite reasonable to me. It’s just another step towards improving the Android user experience. Of course, it’s still up to developers to interpret these guidelines for each individual app, but these are the basic principles which should help filter out some of the more useless & annoying apps.

The new policy is a bit unclear about push notification. They mention “simulation of system notification”. There are two interpretations:

1. If there is category of android notifications formally known as “system notifications”, then the policy states that they should not be simulated.

2. If “system notification” denotes all notifications, then notification ads are definitely disallowed.

Just like how one wont go out and buy a car without reading the specs, or a TV without checking it’s features.

Neither does the car needs stickers all over saying it has “no MP3 support” all around it to ensure that the user knows what he is getting.

Same here in my opinion. Getting an app on your phone should not be any different from any other stuff you buy off shelves or anything else.

Just think that it should be fair to developers who actually do mention these stuff up front.

But yes, the details on the new policy is very unclear and I doubt anyone from google will ever respond.

Also, now the notification ads are in the hands of the ad providers. Developers can be really screwed if the ad networks screw stuff up.

Oh well… in the end… start making that AAA title then… maybe admob’s revenues will cover enough to get through the autumn.

Would you be happy buying a new TV just to find out it will turn on itself few times a day when not used to show you a commercial? Even if it was written in small text somewhere on the box that it would do so?

If it was written on the specs and features of the TV that it would do so, then no, I wont buy it.

And of course you read each and every detailed piece of information that’s on the box? You would be the only person I have ever encountered that does that.

right… i am unique you say… thanks.

the thing is, if it is written there, and i bought it… whose fault is it?

Let’s not make a flame war out of this but it does not matter whose ‘fault’ it is. What matters is whether doing so is good or bad for you and your business. Especially in the long term.

Back to the TV analogy - people will start returning it (uninstalling the app), this TV brand will get bad press (bad app reviews), ultimately biggest stores will ban selling such TVs (apps). Eventually the brand will start making TVs that behave like TVs or it will go out of business.

There are plenty of ways to make money in legitimate way. Don’t waste your energy on trying to fool the system. It never ends well.

Yes, this is not gonna go anywhere good at all (i have not even gotten to the part where it says that you paid money for the damned tv, while the app is free). So, I am gonna let this discussion about what’s the right way to do it or the wrong way to do it die.

Back to topic, it would be good to actually get a proper picture on the new policy implementation. Ad walls section does look like something related to tapjoy.

Notification ads, for me, are probably a no-no anymore as I believe google wants to use notification for system and apps related notices and not for ads.

Anyone gets a more solid answers to these do share.

According to airpush, it is not the end of notifications ads. They just sent an email to all its developers describing the new SDK:

[i]Airpush SDK 5.0 Components:
Google Compliance: Full compliance with Google’s new developer policy, which requires a clear opt-in mechanism for data collection and ads outside the app, enhanced controls for ad content, app attribution, and other requirements.

Lookout Compliance: Full compliance with Lookout Mobile’s new advertising guidelines, which requires opt-in, opt-out, app attribution, data security, and other requirements.

Enhanced Push: We made significant improvements to our flagship ad format, Push Notification Ads, by enabling images and various display templates.[/i]

Maybe we should not forget what the notification bar is all about; example:

I got a mail, so I got a notification of it in the bar and the led on my phone blinks blue - so I know I have something I WANT KNOW. That’s the whole magic of the notification bar, to notify my about things i want to get notified.

I will never ever be getting notified about the all new poker app by a blue blinking led, while I do not use the phone at all, just to look what it is and get the info, that I should now load the all new poker app for free.

Come on … IF there is a definition for spam, THAT’s how it would be. To be honest, I pretty wonder, that notification ads are still allowed by google.

There are so many users who even have no idea of push ads - they would just complain, that android is crappy because full of ads or they will think it is a virus … both is not good for android - in no manner. Also, I may be wrong, but I cannot think of only one person who likes push ads …

Maybe I should code an push-ad blocker xD

I’m still waiting for some news from Leadbolt. I hope they will be fast to implement these changes.

I believe that Google only has a problem with notification ads that try to trick you. A small yellow star and the title “Get XYZ Free!” should not be a problem. However, a message symbol telling you “New Message from …” should not appear as a notification ad.

I’m using the home screen icon and notification ads. I will be changing my app description and explain to the user that the app serves notification ads and installs an icon. I will only show the notification ads while the app is running and the icon can easily be removed.

If Google would really wanted to ban this kind of advertisement, they would do so. A sentence like “In order to protect the user experience notification ads and ads that change the behavior of the system are forbidden”

Take a look at the guidelines:
“It must be clear to the user which app each ad is associated with or implemented in.” You should inform the user about the ads and they should only be visible as long as the app is used. If an icon is installed on the home screen, your application should let the user know. “Cool Apps Icon on home screen created”

Ads must not make changes to the functioning of the user’s device outside the ad by doing things such as installing shortcuts, bookmarks or icons or changing default settings without the user’s knowledge and consent. (underlined is probably a typo, might be created in a rush). Again let the user know what is happening in the app description what ads will be displayed and how to remove them e.g. uninstalling)

That is what I’m reading.

#################### Edit
@reiti.net
I rather see one notification ad when I start the app than flashing banners for the full time I use the app. 2 Seconds of exposure compared to maybe hours. So much about that :wink:

as long as the notif ad appears only during app usage it’s a different story - that’s not the spamy thing I mentioned :wink:

a banner ad also consumes a lot of screen space so the notif bar could be an alternative … but only when used properly

Well, Leadbolt is saying (according to my AM) that their notification ads are in compliance with all of google’s ad policy. And I believe it is not true as leadbolt’s notification does not show the source of the ad. Airpush shows your app’s name in their ads.

Also, I am wondering how much trust we can place on the ad networks? They could still send out ads for the “low battery level” types, and we wont even know it unless we get that ad too. And if google happens to be looking at your app at that time, you’re screwed.

Like someone else has mentioned, maybe it really is time to move away from notification ads…

just need to be clear about a little thing

“Any new apps or app updates published after this notification will be immediately subject to the latest version of the Program Policy. If you find any existing apps in your catalog that don’t comply, we ask you to fix and republish the application within 30 calendar days of receiving this email. After this period, existing applications discovered to be in violation may be subject to warning or removal from Google Play.”

this means if we publish an app today, it should be comply with this policy right?

and if we update an existing app, do we still have this 30 days to fix the things or should it be comply with these terms with the update?

You quoted yourself: “Any new apps or app updates published after this notification will be immediately subject to the latest version of the Program Policy”

So you don’t have the 30 days for your updates. I hope you did not make a change yet :slight_smile:
[hr]
I just received an answer from Leadbolt. They told me they are working on an “advanced SDK” and will release it next week. They will also send out a recommendations document and a check list.

About the notifications they basically told me their ads do not mimic system messages and that “All Leadbolt notification ads have an opt-out.”

I think it is good to hear that they are taking steps at their end. :slight_smile:

I think it is time for me to remove Leadbolt from my apps, first all the virus-reviews and now this. I dont want to take the risk of getting banned, because of few dollars from notification ads.

The main thing i am concerned about is Tapjoy offers. So if you give users simple extra features, when he completes an offer is banned method? Even if the app is completely usable without the features.

Interstitial ads are allowed right? They should have given better examples of what is allowed and what is not.

I would just obey on, that everything which is offered by admob also will be allowed in google play. And admob does offer interstitials (even when not for everyone). So they should be no problem.

That said … tapjoy should be no problem as long as you do not force users to use them. Example:

You can play until level 10 and then you have to make an tapjoy offer for every next level. I think that is forbidden as long as you do not offer an option to buy the full game (or each level).

That sounds logical because google does not earn anything when “unlocking” your game through tapjoy offers but the app complied with their ToS (because nothing is sold)

…there are days, where I am not sure, if google tends to be greedy or just not want to give away some control to third parties xD