How has push notification ad ban affected you?

Ok guys, this seems to have descended into infighting a bit lol. I was hoping on doing interview one-on-one, but screw it, a forum Q&A makes things quicker! Some questions are below - anyone can jump in (just reference the number you’re answering). Some of the Qs are addressed to specific users. Guys I would really appreciate it if you could send me an email or pm with your real name for use in the article ([email protected]) please let me know your forum alias so I can match it up, and send me a link to whatever website/app page you want us to plug. Mobyaffiliates is a b2b blog read by loads of mobile ad industry execs in EU and US, so it’s a good opportunity to get your point across. But if you really want to stay anonymous no probs.

[b]1. First of all – to those who were using push notification/icon ads – how much of an impact has the ban had on your bottom line? Can you give me any numbers here? Revenue loss percentages etc? If you’re not comfortable sharing on forum, feel free to email me, or pm me.

1. How well were push ads performing for you, compared to other ad formats (again, would be great to get numbers here)?

2. Has the ban dramatically affected your business and your ability to continuing developing/running your apps? Or has this income been supplemented and are you getting by ok?

3. Obviously we all know why Google did this, but do you think they were justified? Were you getting complaints from users about the ads? Was Google heavy handed?

4. Billyh – as you seem very negative on the format – why do you think the ads were spammy? Can you give me some more explanation on your views? Was it because developers were misusing the ads?

5. To all – Do you think networks should have better educated developers on how to use push notification ads? Is this a case of a few bad devs spamming and ruining it for everyone?

6. Have ad networks been helpful overall in transitioning you from push ads? Or did they handle the ban badly?

7. We all know most devs are struggling to make money with Android. How does this action make you feel about Google overall? Is killing push ads ultimately in your interest because users were pissed at the spam? Or do you feel like Google no longer cares about whether smaller devs are able to make any money?

8. Finally, what are your tips for making up lost revenue from push ads? What alternatives have you found?
    [/b]

1. First of all – to those who were using push notification/icon ads – how much of an impact has the ban had on your bottom line? Can you give me any numbers here? Revenue loss percentages etc? If you’re not comfortable sharing on forum, feel free to email me, or pm me.

Fairly big impact. I had paid and free versions of my apps. I only used push ads and they accounted for 70% of revenue over paid.

1. How well were push ads performing for you, compared to other ad formats (again, would be great to get numbers here)?

By far, push ads were making the most of any of the ad system I have tried. I would say 10x better.

1. Has the ban dramatically affected your business and your ability to continuing developing/running your apps? Or has this income been supplemented and are you getting by ok?

The ban won’t effect me too much as all the money I make is really supplemental.

1. Obviously we all know why Google did this, but do you think they were justified? Were you getting complaints from users about the ads? Was Google heavy handed?

I think they were justified to an extent. I think everyone has had complaints from people. Maybe 1 in 20 downloads, someone would complain. There were actually people who didn’t mind.

1. Billyh – as you seem very negative on the format – why do you think the ads were spammy? Can you give me some more explanation on your views? Was it because developers were misusing the ads?

2. To all – Do you think networks should have better educated developers on how to use push notification ads? Is this a case of a few bad devs spamming and ruining it for everyone?

Possibly, but I think Airpush in particular wanted devs to spam the crap out of apps to get the more money. I had set my push ads to 1 push every 2 days. I got popups asking to change this to 3 per day while in the dashboard!

1. Have ad networks been helpful overall in transitioning you from push ads? Or did they handle the ban badly?

2. We all know most devs are struggling to make money with Android. How does this action make you feel about Google overall?

My view of Google has changed too much. Keep working hard people.

Is killing push ads ultimately in your interest because users were pissed at the spam? Or do you feel like Google no longer cares about whether smaller devs are able to make any money?

I think in the end its better for the ecosystem.

1. Finally, what are your tips for making up lost revenue from push ads? What alternatives have you found?
    All I can say is possibly more advertising and keep making better apps. Hopefully you will get lucky.

As a side note, sure the loss of money sucks but on one side I have also been pretty tired with getting dicked around by the ad companies. Numbers look so good when you first sign on than it levels off later. They claim there is no manipulation but I have read about so many people experiencing the same thing.

[/b][/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That’s great, thanks for the response - very useful. Judging by your username i assume you want to stay anon, but if you change your mind please email me and let me know who you are - [email protected] - we can give a plug for your apps in the article.

Anyone else?

So If I’m an ad network can I pay for placement on your blog mobyaffilates? I see some networks that you’ve ranked forsure that are not top 5.

Please do let us know your methodology?

It’s a serious matter

cgak - What placements are you referring to exactly? I am actually just a freelance journalist, I’m not involved in running the site, ads, or anything like that. I think the directory has some “featured networks” which are paid placements, but the ‘best networks post’ are not paid for (as far as i know), it’s just the opinion of the editor/writer based on the network’s remit, popularity, conversations with indsutry people, etc - i think most of the posts state this and invite readers to suggest their own networks should they disagree (and they often get added to the post)

Just in case anyone is interested, we published the article relating to this thread - thanks again everyone for your input

Surviving Google’s notification ad ban: Android alternatives

I read it. It’s interesting. One important point missed is that Google suspended accounts of many developers just because they used some Ad networks who claim they they are Google compliant. This forced many developers to just be with admob to be on the safe side

And you want to use new dev account with different user first & lastname with AdMob with your real lastname? That would allow G. to link your new account with your old banned lastname. And you cannot use AdMob for not real lastname because of tax reason.