Anyone using TapContext?

Just checked their website and saw this:

RPMD $30.41
USA $33.35
International $28.59

RPMD has stated in their website is the calculated average per 1000 app downloads, are this real numbers? Do you get this kind of numbers? :open_mouth:

RPMD is updated every 5 minutes.As for this moment, RPMD displayed on my dashboard is $42.88. Yesterday, it ended at $26.87.

Something is not right here i am testing their network and so far i can´t get more then $2.66 RPMD on my dashboard, what do you do to have such high numbers? And also my top country is USA which is even weirder!

It’s normal to have a low RPMD for a new app.registered with their SDK. As in my case it took a couple of weeks for RPMD to grow from $2+ to more than $20+.

Hey guys… just want to jump in here and bulk answer some of the questions from the past couple of days including @adforandroidapps and @Steve.

Regarding what makes TapContext unique: There’s one huge thing that makes us unique, and several smaller things that (we think) make us better. Our huge difference is that we are contextual. Our patent-pending contextual ads are shown in response to either a user action or a device state. These ads are much more relevant to the user. And, by extension, enjoy a significantly higher rate of engagement.

For example, imagine you’ve created an awesome tower defense game. With a traditional ad network you place a “run of network” ad that can show up in virtually any other app at any time. On the one hand, you can get a boatload of impressions. On the other hand, those impressions are very (very) inefficient. And it ends up not being a good way to distribute your app. And the more specific (or niched) your app is, the worse the traditional ad networks are.

But what if you only showed your ad to users who already have “Radiant Defense” (my personal favorite) installed? Or maybe they just installed (or uninstalled) “Robo Defense”? The quality of your ad goes up significantly, even if the volume of your impressions goes down significantly.

I know that most of the developers here are more interested in the revenue side than the distribution side of TapContext. But the advantage is the same to developers who embed our patent-pending SDK. Higher ad engagement = higher revenue. It should also lead to a more positive user experience with more relevant ads (and that’s definitely something that we’re still trying to balance and improve).

Smaller things that are cool, but complimentary, are our “live” ads that embed real functionality in the ad distribution. Think of it as a lite-lite version of specific functionality. That same functionality creates very interesting and unique ways that you, as a developer, can integrate with our SDK to drive even higher engagement.

We also have some features that, while not unique amongst ad networks, are beneficial. For example, the fact that you can use TapContext completely without sacrificing any UI real estate is an advantage over purely traditional display ads. That also helps when you have a low-engagement app (think flashlight app, for example) where traditional display ads simply won’t work. TapContext uses the operating context of the device itself as your engagement mechanism. For low-engagement apps (which are the vast majority of apps), this is a huge plus. You get reach and coverage without requiring the user to be actively engaged with your app.

Keep in mind that we’re still very young as a network. There are still a lot of features and partnerships we’re working on to improve the experience for developers (you), users, and advertisers. For example, we’re working on traditional IAB display ads for the next version. Even though they don’t get the engagement of notification-based ads, they are an important part of the Android ad ecosystem. Other things, such as first-class support for alternate development platforms (i.e. Unity, Corona, Xamarin, Air, etc.) will expand your development options for using TapContext.

And, being young and aggressively focused on growing our developer base, we feel like we are listening to developer feedback at a higher level than the larger, more established networks. That’s just our opinion, of course. But we try hard to back that up with responsiveness and developer-driven changes to our platform.

Regarding non-market app sales: It is acceptable to use your own merchant processing or alternate payments methods (movend.com was an example given earlier) as long as your app is not distributed through Google Play. If you distribute through Google Play, you must use one of their authorized payment providers (which, at the moment, is only Google Wallet). The obvious upside to non-market distribution is the flexibility in payment processing and elimination of the 30% fee. For most app publishers, however, this is more than offset by the expense of creating your own distribution channel. Typically, the Play Market is (and should be) the preferred way to go for app publishers (IMO). But that’s not to be confused with the only way to go.

It may be helpful to note, that, at the moment, any of our advertisers that currently promote out-of-market distribution must also have an in-market alternative. This is because requiring an in-market product goes a long way towards weeding out potential scams and bad apples (although it’s neither foolproof nor the only vetting process we have).

Also, as @Steve mentioned earlier in this discussion, if you watch other ad networks such as AirPush or Leadbolt (and many others), you’ll see the same type of out-of-market apps being advertised. It’s not an uncommon practice. I think TapContext makes you, the developer, more aware of it because the ad is preceded by something like a threat scan. But the concept and ultimate ad behavior is similar to what you’ll find on other networks. It’s just initiated in a different and unique way.

Regarding RPMD: It does, indeed, take a bit of time for some of your metrics to “season” and stabilize. For example, based on our internal numbers, we know that there are times of day and days of the week where users tend to install more apps than others. Given the contextual nature of TapContext, that means your users might not see a scan ad, for example, until they’ve had your app installed for several days.

This is natural. Because of how we trigger ads (in response to user actions and device state), it takes a little longer for your metrics to mature compared to traditional networks. In contrast, you’ll likely also find that the “tail” of TapContext is significantly stronger than traditional ad networks.

Also, it should be noted that RPMD can vary greatly from app to app depending on demographics, geographies, how long your app stays installed, which features you’ve enabled in TapContext, how you integrate interstitials, etc. Like any ad network, we see some apps and publishers with very high RPMD, and some with very low RPMD. There are a lot of factors involved. And that also means that TapContext may not be a perfect fit for every app.

I would suggest 3 things… One, give TapContext some time to season and mature in your app (i.e. don’t integrate it and ditch it 48 hours later). Let it run until your RPMD (or whatever metric you want to focus on) stabilizes. Two, compare it to what you can get with other networks. Of course, make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. Compare it to what you actually get with other networks. Three, choose whichever network is best for your app. If that’s TapContext, then awesome. If that’s Leadbolt, then awesome. And so on. Whichever network works best for your app is the network you should choose.

If you find that TapContext is not performing as well for your user base and app as it is for other apps, and you have ideas on how we can improve, please let us know. We’re very focused on what makes TapContext great. We also know we can’t be everything to everyone. And, at the same time, if we can help you improve your earnings and it fits with our vision, we’d love to get to your feedback and see if we can improve our performance for you.

I think this answers what I’ve seen here since my last reply. As always, thanks for your feedback. It’s appreciated, and it definitely helps improve TapContext for everyone. Please keep it coming.

Care to give ballpark figures i.e. how much are you earning (i.e. 2x, 3x) with TapContext vs. the other alternative you were using before (or compared to the benchmark Admob banner ads).

Thanks.

Thanks to the TapContext rep for providing some info on the network - however it still seems like a black box - and the full range of info they are getting from users’ devices is not clear.

Also there is a presumption that developers do not care what the user presentation of the ad will be like - that maybe so for some types of apps, however for other apps, the developer has to care about the user experience and understand exactly what the ad network does (because the developer is the front-facing side of the app - the ad network can do anything and are only indirectly blamed by users).

It looks like TapContext utilizes the apps list (app installed on the user’s device) and other such “info discovery” off the user’s device.

It is still not apparent what is the full spectrum of the stuff a new ad network does - and to some degree they would want to leak that info slowly as they acquire scale (lest their competitor use that info). However developers will be split into two camps - those who want to know exactly what the ad network does (because it is EXACTLY a part of their app and they will be responsible to users for it). And then there will be developers who are releasing many apps very quickly and do not care for any reputation on a per-app basis.

The new developers may switch ad networks by the day, while others will choose them more carefully (after the other developers have vetted them - which usually means they will miss the unreasonably high revenue that nearly ALL new networks have to promise in order to get some scale).

That is, so far we have seen a history of ad networks which promise high revenue and then trail off to more realistic levels.

The adventurous more nimble developers will be adopting every new network that arrives, while those who are swamped (and don’t have the manpower to divert to every new ad network) will need some reassurance of what the ad network “finally” settles down at - and then they may consider it.

This seems to be the adoption structure for new ad networks.

While TapContext suggests that advertisers can pitch their ads to say a user who has installed a paint app etc. - what does that mean in terms of actual permissions ? Maybe it is an innocuous looking one and not a long list of intrusive permissions ?
EDIT: ok, I think you may not need too many permissions to gauge what apps are installed - that info seems to be available to apps as part of the discovery process for “intents” available on the device etc. (I could be wrong).

And does it fall awry of new privacy considerations for kids - i.e. pitching new apps that match their existing app base etc. ? Though that is EXACTLY what Google Play does - and probably some of the other apps like some alternative app store apps can also look at your app lists.

However, the idea of using installed apps as a “filter” is an excellent one - in that (as an advertiser) I would know MUCH more about the user from their apps - than from any info on their age, gender etc. - because if I have a “Download and run this app” type of ad, I will do better if I pitch it to similar-looking app users (they are more likely to click on it) - regardless of their demographic i.e. the usual age, gender, location etc. stuff.

So the idea is sound - in practice I don’t know how well it will match the developer’s needs - i.e. if their app will be discoverable by the TapContext advertiser - for example if your app is Angry Birds-like or strongly associated with it - then there will be many advertisers pitching their game to that perhaps (if it is also a toss the ball type of app). Meanwhile if you have a niche app (or a new type of app) - that may not fit into any of the pre-existing categories and you may get the “average” ads.

Thus TapContext is designed to satisfy the needs of the advertiser - however it’s model leaves little room for the developer to attract advertising FROM developers (as MIGHT be possible with AppFlood etc. or Chartboost where you can have developer-to-developer direct deals). Which MAY place this type of advertising into the same category as “video ads” etc. - i.e. sound great - but in practice there is little ad inventory for YOUR app. That is, the advertising is SO-targeted that you don’t get much traffic from it.

But it is possible that for some types of apps - TapContext would provide much superior experience i.e. those apps which fall into the categories that TapContext advertisers are looking at etc. …

But it does not address the issue of “discoverability” for new apps or those not fitting into existing categories etc. - so recreates the whole Google Play discoverability issue but now with ad networks. Surely it will benefit or gives better granularity in pitching ads (for advertisers) - but is likely to leave great gaps i.e. your app may find the fillrate for ads is low (while for another app developer because their app is similar to Angry Birds they will find their fillrate is much higher or ads pay more per click etc.).

However, I guess that is where advertising WOULD want to go i.e. have greater power to filter for advertising - however it doesn’t provide a universal platform where the developer TOO feels as powerful - as they might with a Chartboost or an AppFlood - where there IS capability available for the developer to directly contact advertisers (who may just not have thought of your app as relevant to their campaign but may once you bring your app to their attention etc.).

Another issue with new ad networks is that their coverage spottiness makes them hard to judge from developer locations that are not in the U.S. etc. Which is why developers then have to ask - “how long does it take video ads to load” and what is the fill rate - because they cannot see those ads even if they download a sample app etc.

Yes , for the benefit of our fellow developers, here I reveal my earnings with both Admob & TapContext for not head-to-head comparison. Currently. with 12 apps using Admob banner ads, I’m getting around $20-$25 daily (the number surges to $40+

lately due to the Holy Month Of Ramadhan ). With 6 apps, the earning from TapContext is between $50 - $70 daily (the number surges to $140+ lately due to the Holy Month Of Ramadhan ).

Since TapContext uses push notifications, its probably more relevant to compare it with Airpush or Leadbolt (sucks anyway) rather than Admob which are purely banner ads.

Would you mind telling us your tapcontext earnings compared to airpush earnings?

Unfortunatley, I’m no longer using AirPush on my apps.

I’ve been using TapContext for about a month now. At first the SDK seemed to be causing excessive battery usage for some users. I sent this feedback through to my account manager, and a fix was implemented very quickly. In my experience the company has been very responsive to feedback and quick to follow up any issues I encountered.

Here are my stats for TapContext this month so far:

Interstitial Ads:
Impressions: 6,601
Clicks: 457
CTR: 6.92%
EPC: $0.06
CPM: $4.23

Push Notification (Contextual) Ads
:
Impressions: 3,480
Clicks: 654
CTR: 18.79%
EPC: $0.04
CPM: $7.02

Total (All Ad Types Combined):
Installs: 17,301
RPMD: $3.03
EPC: $0.05
CPM: $5.19
Earnings: $52.36

This makes TapContext my best performing network for interstitials at the moment. LeadBolt is second, with the App Wall giving me an ECPM of $2.08 this month (EPC $0.02). I’d like to start allocating more of my impressions to TapContext while the CPMs are this high. Unfortunately AdMob has disabled my account again, so I can’t access the mediation dashboard. :frowning: I’ll have to deploy a new mediation provider soon - maybe even write my own.

Anyway, even if you’re not keen on push notifications, it might be worth giving TapContext a go. I’ll certainly be using their interstitials in any new apps I create. Most of my users are US-based, but I do have a significant percentage of overseas traffic as well. TapContext seems to be working well for both.

Well its odd that @david has such low RPMD mine doesn´t stop rising, on one app is going at RPMD $10 and another is already at $20

@Steve, are you using mainly push or interstitials? That could make a difference, as well as the geographic distribution of the apps.

I agree - Tap seems to be number one. I have just released 2 very similar apps. I have put the Tapcontext sdk in one and the airpush in the other. The airpush app has been running longer than the other but Tap is already earning more. I will display the results in about a month. Also the fill rates on airpush for yesterday was 43% (can’t be happy about that!). Tapcontext support has also been extremely helpful.

Since David is giving a thumbs up to Tapcontext, I might try it now. Will start with a smaller app first…
Regarding payments, their website says they pay weekly. Are you guys getting the money on weekly basis and on time?

I am using push and interstitial combined, most my users com from India, U.S. and Indonesia, in that order, i just implemented them this last sunday and started with RPMD of $2 it has kept rising ever since

Well are you earning more then Airpush considering what you will get paid this current month? Cause considering all the months yes you can say they pay more but you have to think you will only get the full payment several months after.

Yes. Good point Steve. Fortunately cash flow is not a huge issue for me. I would happily sacrifice cash flow for a greater return. However, i can understand from reading these forums that there is a big demand by developers for fast payment so the tapcontext payment system may not be suitable for everyone.

Hi,

All my acitivities in game are in landscape mode. Unfortunately Interestialds and EULA are only portrait - this causing a huge mess in app. Is there any possibility to make interestials and EULA landscape?
When EULA is loading my phone freaks out…

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
I got answer from TapContext:“At this time we only offer our ads in the portrait format. We will let you know when the landscape format becomes available.”

Pitty.

Come out come out from where ever you are TapContext… 1. where are you located? 2. What is your payment threshold? 3. What are your payment terms? Net 7, 15, 30 4. Are you backed by VC? 5. Why should we use you? (bonuses don’t count)

I presonally would rather build up my own traffic and use my own push server, so sell me on the “WHY” I should go with another “flavor of the week?”

THanks