anyone heard about Appayable? sounds too good to be true

Hence why we are taking your previous suggestion and making it more front-and-center on the signup page (skipping a step and making it an additional box the publisher must check and comply with). As for the end-user, if you have a suggestion on how to disclose it or educate the over 1Bn smartphone users, I am all ears.

KP

Well, I have seen some games throw up a dialog box on first run saying “you agree to our ToS and PP” and have the user hit ‘ok’, or else the app exits. That sucks though, but I think the lawyers want us to end up like that :frowning:

As of right now the lawyers do not require additional disclosures post the initial download. I am speaking purely in regards to Android development right now, as we are on an Android Forum. That being said, users should be educated on what specific app permissions mean, how their data is valuable and how it is leveraged by marketers. Regardless, the popup you are speaking of is, more or less, displayed - in the Google Play store (with a clearly articulated list of permission). Any outside use (a EULA, per say), should be included in either the description or the Privacy Policy per app.

I will touch base with the team here and see if we can make an optional popup for publishers to include if they so choose.

Best,
KP

Ok, so Keith and I had another call… he made an interesting point.

Companies like Flurry already collect all this information as part of analytics. Google is not banning apps with Flurry in them…

But they warned HeyZap recently for gathering some data.

Magnesus, feel free to forward the warning you received from Google. Otherwise, I believe we have had a miscommunication about the data our SDK relies on, how we colelct it, analyze it, anonymize it and license it. Your open statements are ill-informed and do not provide enough color to enable me to respond. Please provide me something specific to comment on so I can make you comfortable with our platform.

KP

I didn’t. But read here: http://forums.makingmoneywithandroid.com/advertising-networks/3393-heyzap-ads.html

Just got contacted today by Google about policy violation.
I have to change 2 apps that are violating the privacy of users within a week or they get banned.
The only apps that were mentioned have the appayable sdk.
Any other having the same experience?

Happy to find someone in the same case!

I got the message for 2 of my 3 apps. I think the problem is the the Appayable lib (no EULA shown). I will remove it and upload the app updates. I really hope Appayable is the problem and the unique problem!

App 1 : AdMob, Inmobi, Google Analytics, Appayable => WARNING
App 2 : AdMob, Adbuddiz, Google Analytics => nothing (Appayable present in /libs and Manifest but not code)
App 3 : Admob, Adbuddiz, Chartboost, Google Analytics, Google Play Services, Facebook SDK (not used in code), Appayable => WARNING

Weird… I got the warning in an app that had the lib but not the code.

Sed9 are you 100% positive you didn’t get a warning for your app 2 which has the lib but no code?

I am currently preparing an update to remove the lib, hoping it will be anough, but now because of your post sed9 I am not so sure :frowning:

Sorry yes, 100% positive.
I’m also looking for the right explanation.
But maybe it just means my app 2 was no checked by the robot.

I don’t see what else it could be.
I didn’t really checked Appayable before installing it on my apps, but it make sense that it breaks Google policy!!!
(Or a text (EULA) should be shown to users, indicating that some of their data are sent on the internet)

Do you think like me?
Please let me know if you find information.

Appayable Representative here:

It has come to our attention that a large number of Android Developers have received notices over the past 24 hours from Google. These warnings refer to section 4.3 of the Developer Distribution Agreement. Thank you for sharing the specifics of each of your cases with us in this forum - it is much appreciated and will help us as we explore the situation internally, with our partners, and Google.

While a number of developers whom have received this notice are part of our community, similar notices have been delivered over the past day to developers without the Appayable SDK.

We are investigating this matter and speaking with Google to clarify if the issue resides with our SDK.

I will personally keep in touch with all forum members via email or on this forum throughout this process and will provide an update as soon as I have more clarity on the situation.

In the interim, we recommend you reread Appayable Terms of Use which require disclosure of the collection of data and implementation of Appayable within your own application’s Privacy Policy/EULA.

If you have any questions please contact me directly via email (keith [at] appayable). We will update you in the near future.

Best,
Keith

Thanks for the complement of info !
I guess a possible answer is that your app2 hasn’t been scanned yet by google’s robots.
I may be wrong but I think it is easier for a robot to detect a lib than some code, so I suppose robots scan libs more than code. I also suppose it is similar to those freakin antivirus some users love that detect an ad sdk as a virus and then spam all over the ratings that the app has a virus (airpush anyone :slight_smile:
Just my 2 cents, lots of suppositions here as I don’t work at Google policy team…

Does anyone of you guys know what happened to Appayable? I received a google play warning like 3 weeks ago, which was due to appayable SDK I think. They are non compliant right?

Anyone? .

Looks like Appayable has finally come round to my viewpoint. Grabbing user data is only ok if the app implements a big fat EULA that the user is forced to agree to before being able to use the app. Having the permissions listed that allows them to do so and the user clicking ‘ok’ to install the app is not enough.

Here is the text of an email I received from them:

Appayable Developer Community,

Appayable’s team appreciates your understanding during the past few weeks, post the notification of Google’s Compliance Department. We have been working on addressing your concerns in addition to those expressed in the Google notice received on November 26th.

Appayable was unable to address the issue within the 7 day timeframe Google presented and proactively suggested that its community remove the SDK and notify the Google Compliance Department of your application’s updated build, sans the Appayable JAR file.

It is with great pride that we share with you today, the re-release of our Appayable SDK. All issues have been cleared and you can ensure compliance by taking the following steps for redeployment:

1. Download the updated JAR file from your Account on Appayable (Version 3.0): http://dev.appayable.com
  2. Make sure you have a privacy policy disclosing your relationship with Appayable so that your policies reflect the fact that the data might be used for cross-context matching and advertising purposes by third parties.
  3. Use the Google recommended/approved User Notification at launch of your application of your data collection and licensing policies as in the following example: Ads | Android Developers [We will be providing reference code which you could use to implement such a screen which is highly recommended by Google regardless of your relationship with us.]

Please make sure you download the updated SDK version and follow all necessary steps for redeployment as soon as possible. All Appayable accounts that do not follow the required upgrade procedure by January 10th, 2014 will be cancelled automatically.

As a recent improvement, and in response to increased communication from our Developer Community, we have implemented a Support Center. If you have any questions please create a new ticket by logging into your account and clicking “Support” in the navigation (on the left side of the page).

We would like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy New Year. We look forward to having you back on board with us.

Soo… hopefully they now look legit to Google and everyone can pile on and use them and make more money :slight_smile:

Hi there,

My name is Clara and I’m one of the AdBuddiz team. I’ve noticed we were quoted here.

I’d like to take the opportunity to say that AdBuddiz is, and has always been, fully Google Play compliant.

We have always ensured our solution is fully compliant and as a result our publishers have never received any complaints from Google.

Feel free to contact me if you need any further info: [email protected]