admob extremely varying RPM/eCPM?

It’s a little strange to be honest. I have to look more into it, since it seems a lot of people here recovered from the February drop while I stayed down. :slight_smile:

My eCPM was normal (fluctuating between $0.20 during the Fall to $0.50 at Christmas) until February where is started to fall and reached $0.11 (while my revenue stayed the same because I had a lot of new users). One of my app has a lot of users from Saudi Arabia or sth like that which would explain why it has lower eCPM, but I’ve just checked my other popular app (which has quite good ad placement) and it has really good countries - Germany, USA, Spain, France, Netherlands at the top - but also eCPM of $0.11. It should really have much more I think. Sometings else must be wrong.

Ah - I’m using normal 320x50 banners even on tablets (not those new smart banners because they are too big for my games - I show ads during the game, not only in menus). Maybe they don’t pay that well anymore (they were similar to smart banners before). I’ve also noticed that two of my old games have normal eCPM (with the same refresh rate) - honestly I have no idea was is so special about them, they use the same code and ad placement…

Anyway, I already moved at least half of the traffic to other networks where I have “normal” eCPM.

TAKE OUT THE INGAME ADS!!! Admob restricts banners in-game, you can only use them in menus. You should fix that as early as you can. Many people got banned from admob doing that

Are you sure ad-mob restricts banners in game? I did not know this, I thought as long as they were not near any buttons or clicked areas it was ok. Can you link to where admob says this?

I’ve had about the opposite effect from admob. It was at it’s highest in december, then fell to about $.40 in jan,feb,march. But picked back up in april to around $.90. The last 3 days I’ve seen some of the highest ecpms ever in one of my apps, at $1.50. I use smart banners but only for my apps that are in portrait mode. I don’t like the look of the long skinny landscape mode smartbanners. One thing that may be different about smartbanners, do they do the new admob ads that require 2 clicks, or old banners do too? If it’s smartbanner only that would make a lot of their advertisers bid higher for smartbanner ads.

Old banners also are double click.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/google-admob-ads-sdk/LKmq3kVIo2k/Vt5Hfu09naAJ
Hopefully they aren’t right :confused:

Today the eCPM fell to the half, again. Is 20k requests/day not meaningful enough?

They aren’t.

Anyway, I have calculated that I have $0.025 per click, it is normal, right? So only my CTR is too low (0,43%)?

Depends on your CPC if your CTR is too low. If companies with “expensive” products and a lot of financial effort advertize in your app, less people will click, but these clicks are worth more. If you have “YOU HAVE WON 3 RINGTONES” ads, every 12 yers old will click but this won’t bring you that much money.

I got between 1% and 1.5% and I have e.g. ads about cars, but ringtones as well

What is your eCPM for such CTR? Or could you calculate how much you get per click? What ads you see is not saying much - it depends on country anyway.

like the post title, i still confuse about this.

first please answer this Yes/No Question

1. Push Notification is paid EVEN IF the user doesn’t click the ads, and that’s called eCPM, per 1000 view.

2. Push Notification earning is BIGGER when the user click the ads. but how much the different?

3. Banner Ads doesn’t pay anything if the user don’t click it. and what’s this type called? CTR? Honestly, this is really a trouble… but any eCPM Banner Ads?

4. BUT Banner Ads paid higher (than any other ads) IF user click the Ads?

because this 2 type of ads have common, but most user rage in push notification ads than banner ads.
so for you, which one is better? in this 2 types of ads
and the reason?

1.Yes, from my experience. eCPM stands for Effective cost per mille - estimated earnings per 1k impressions. This is an industry wide term as it applies to all models (although you should only compare eCPM between one ad format at a time).

1. Push Notification earnings are of course larger than banner ads, but there is no static difference. Factors like seasons, bidding and traffic quality effect your earnings for any ad unit. This means earnings are always varied between ad types, which means you can’t measure their effective difference to a reasonable degree of accuracy. Typically you will see between 2x-10x earnings with push ads compared with banner ads, but like I said it is extremely volatile.

3.CTR stand for Click Through Rate. If you’re using a network that pays CPC then you are paid via clicks on ads (varying earnings per click). If you’re using a network that pays CPA then you are paid for the amount of impressions you display, although CTR and other factors are still important here.

1. No. There is no ad unit that pays more than another as a constant.

I use both of these ad types, often in unison as they don’t interfere with each other.

I lose users (requests sinking), I have currently no time for improving my app, my ctr drops, my eCPM drops (now 0.27) I’m going to get out of that business. If it goes one more week like that, I will fill up my apps with push-notifications and all that stuff and get my last $50.

Had a good time with it, but obviously I am not good/creative enough :confused:

wow thanks for answering :smiley:

wow so i guess i’ll stick with push notification then o.o

for number 3, so there is a CPA type. CPA is the same like CPM right?
they pay for ‘impression’ too. which ads network use this type of banner?
Admob? RevMob?

No problem :slight_smile:

Well if you can sacrifice screen space in your app, banners can be worth it too. Don’t be afraid to have more than one type of ad unit in an app. You could multiply your income without much of a negative consequence in most cases.

I’m not certain about all the terms, but I think you are mixing up CPA and CPM?
CPA = Cost per acquisition, which means you are paid for every ad impression.
CPM = Cost per mille, which is just a measure of how much you will make per 1k impressions for said ad unit (e.g banner, push, icon etc). CPM is eCPM with the “e” (estimated).

I couldn’t say which banner networks pay CPA as I only use Admob, AppBrain and Millennial Media and haven’t moved my inventory around for ages. I do believe that Adsene ads (these fill Admob ad requests that can’t be filled) are working on CPA now, although I might be wrong.

haha my apps mainly a live wallpaper, so i can’t use banner :smiley:
but some of non live wallpaper maybe i want to use banner :smiley:

yeah i have airpush + startap until now :3
but just thinking if i should change push notification to banner ads

oooooooooh okay i understant now :smiley:
so all my ads is CPA i guess :smiley:

mmm i’m interested in revmob though :3
actually i want to use admob too, but google will cut the ads if the apps got banned right?

Yeah they will. Admob are good, but only use them in apps you know meet Google’s policy.