AdMob banners alternative ?

UN-Pick Up Lines:

Have you used Revmob interstitials - any idea on their per app install revenue ?

If you were talking banner ads - then are their fill rates and eCPM comparable to Admob ?

Thanks.

Pharoah:

I have used banner ads from:

• Admob
  • Millennial Media
  • AppBrain
  • Greystripe

Greystripe banner ads do not seem to work - they don’t have inventory or something.

Millennial Media seems to perform as well as Admob - so they maybe a good alternative - I only scaled them back because they seemed to be identical to Admob and I chosen not to split the revenue between the two needlessly. I tested Millennial Media again when Admob eCPMs were going down - and Millennial Media seemed to have similar (lower) eCPM - so I again decided not to bother using it. But it seems like a good option for you if Admob isn’t an option.

AppBrain banner will give good revenue even if you give it low visibility i.e. 25% of the views using Admob mediation etc. - so you probably should include 25% views for AppBrain banner ads.

Admob eCPMs are going down.

For that matter I am seeing AppBrain banner ad + AppBrain interstitial downloads go down also (in both cases they pay per app install i.e. about $0.18 per install or slightly lower now maybe). However since I added Leadbolt AppWall HTML ads - perhaps that has started cannibalizing the AppBrain “More Apps” novelty to the user. So AppBrain revenue has gone down to half or less (perhaps I am overpresenting the Leadbolt AppWall - which is saturating the user tolerance for “More Apps”).

Overall I have seen that Admob gives good eCPMs for banner ads - but eCPMs are down currently perhaps due to seasonal post-Christmas season.

A word of caution on the Millenial Media banner ads - you need to set the right proguard settings for it to work - else you will NOT register any clicks from the users.

It is appalling that Millennial has not updated their FAQs that talk about proguard even after having that issue and their FAQ link suggestion being wrong pointed out to them !!

What would cause such behavior from a company which otherwise seems quite reasonable ?

Basically if you follow their directives your banner ads will NOT register any clicks i.e. get 0 clicks.

need this for Millennial Media SDK …

as suggested by them …

Android - MMwiki

ProGuard

#-keep public class com.millennialmedia.android.* {

<init>(…);

public void *(…);

public com.millennialmedia.android.MMJSResponse *(…);

#}

however that will not work - and you need to use the following:

cover com.google.ads.mediation.millennial

ok, is done ALREADY below for admob …

-keep public class com.google.ads.**

use without the public

#-keep public class com.millennialmedia.android.**
#-keep class com.millennialmedia.android.**

while a user suggests that this works

-keep class com.millennialmedia.android.** {*;}

do need these ?

-keep public class com.adwhirl.**

There are similar stability issues with their full screen interstitials - and the odd thing is their customer support responds very slowly to these types of questions.

Makes one wonder what is going on technically at these companies (they’ve scaled back on all technical staff after their systems are up ?).

LOL, oops. I remember when I was incorporating their video ads, I kept getting Toast messages saying “Whoops! Looks like you forgot to declare the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in your manifest file.” Their documentation makes it look like that permission is always required (for caching?), so I didn’t think to test removing them for image only interstitials.

Millenial is at $0.18 (dropped recently too) for me right now while admob still at $0.11. Still worth it to push some ads for Millenial, but if admob recovers it might not be so clear.

Yikes, I just checked and Millennial is at $0.12 for me this past week.

admob is more about volume, if you get 1million+ ad impressions daily then only you can get an income to buy a jaguar :slight_smile:
@Pharaoh you can also try airpush, I have seen many apps. now on play store which are serving airpush and they seem to have good fill rate (I tested them in India so definitely airpush will have good fill rate in Europe, US and Australia). The only problem with airpush is that the antivirus will ask the user not to use the app as it contains malware. But again users are getting aware that it is the airpush thing which is causing this. You mention about airpush in the description text field when publishing on google play.

At the end of the day, you get dependent on the ad network you are choosing. If your app is of high quality and really serves the lacking need of users, better make it as paid than free and get rid of dependency on ad networks else keep searching. there is no fixed shortcut to which ad network is best. ad mediation is the best thing we as publishers can use.

AdMob sucks. I only get 0.01-0.02 eCPM. I have about 4 million views per day. I am not sure what other AD place I can use. I have the app world wide. So not sure if other Ad program support other worlds. Any help would be helpful to increase the revenue. Thanks in advance. I tried mellinum ad not much success.

Experiment with placement and refresh rate?

You are getting traffic from countries that are not valued as paying customers to the businesses that are showing ads. If you have US and Canada you would get $10 eCPM as I actually have on one of my games, but the impressions are way lower because I dont have many users.

you mean $10 ecpm for interstials, not for banners :wink: @Mayavi , do you have a country breakdown for us to tell you more about optimization?!

@Mayavi eCPM is not the actual price. It is an estimated number calculated by using your clickrate and the cost of each click. If I set the refresh rate to “every second” I can also generate multiple millions of impressions per day, but because the CTR is so low, the eCPM will drop significantly.

The cost for each click is not set by admob - behind all that stuff is an automatic bidding system. If there is not much inventory for your audience, the click price will be at the minimum. It’s a simple question of Supply vs Demand.

The quality of an ad space (and therefore a high eCPM) is defined by how worthy your audience is. This can be measured by looking at the CTR. A healthy CTR will be considered as a more valueable ad space than a very low ctr ad space. Compare this with print advertisement. The ad space at a popular location will be more expensive than the ad space in the basement of your neighbour :slight_smile: