Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Latest Google Play Policy Update wrt Advertising

Usage of Android advertising ID

Google Play Services version 4.0 introduced new APIs and an ID for use by advertising and analytics providers. Terms for the use of these APIs and ID are below.

Usage. The Android advertising identifier must only be used for advertising and user analytics. The status of the “Opt out of Interest-based Advertising” setting must be verified on each access of the ID.
    Association with personally-identifiable information or other identifiers. The advertising identifier must not be connected to personally-identifiable information or associated with any persistent device identifier (for example: SSAID, MAC address, IMEI, etc.,) without the explicit consent of the user.
    Respecting users' selections. Upon reset, a new advertising identifier must not be connected to a previous advertising identifier or data derived from a previous advertising identifier without the explicit consent of the user. Furthermore, you must abide by a user’s “opt out of interest-based advertising” setting. If a user has enabled this setting, you may not use the advertising identifier for creating user profiles for advertising purposes or for targeting users with interest-based advertising. Allowed activities include contextual advertising, frequency capping, conversion tracking, reporting and security and fraud detection.
    Transparency to users. The collection and use of the advertising identifier and commitment to these terms must be disclosed to users in a legally adequate privacy notification.
    Abiding by the terms of use. The advertising identifier may only be used in accordance with these terms, including by any party that you may share it with in the course of your business. Beginning August 1st 2014, all updates and new apps uploaded to the Play Store must use the advertising ID (when available on a device) in lieu of any other device identifiers for any advertising purposes.

More work for analytic companies, ad companies and of course developers.
    My referral link for MobileCore
    My referral link for AppFlood

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that Google is hammering down on user profiles, when their entire company's business model revolves around invading privacy to better target ads?

3. Likes Magnesus, Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
    Google's business model revolves around invading privacy to better target ads
    And the funny thing is whenever i browse a site with google ads i am always shown ads about ANDROID AD NETWORKS....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    How will we check if the ad networks SDKs abide this policy? :|

Also:
    The collection and use of the advertising identifier and commitment to these terms must be disclosed to users in a legally adequate privacy notification.
    Will including privacy policy on Google Play be enough for this? Or will every free app on Google Play will annoy us now with accept EULA dialog on start?
    Last edited by Magnesus; 2013-10-31 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    New user control over advertising identifier

To give users better controls and to provide you with a simple, standard system to continue to monetize your apps, this update contains a new, anonymous identifier for advertising purposes (to be used in place of Android ID). Google Settings now includes user controls that enable users to reset this identifier, or opt out of interest-based ads for Google Play app
    Android Developers Blog

Google will allow user DISABLE the ads. I think this is the BIG problem with us

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hackformore View Post
    Android Developers Blog

Google will allow user DISABLE the ads. I think this is the BIG problem with us
    I dont think so , opt out of intrest based ads is only applicable to google ads , opting out actually means they will show random ads instead of targeted ads, thats what was happening till now , and i dont see why google would let users switch off ads , its worth millions and billions for huge companies,and google thrives only on ad revenue...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    can someone explain to me what i have to do to comply by this new policy?

my main advertising methods are admob banner/interstatial. i have a few "adult" apps that use airpush banner/interstitial .

can someone explain to me what changed in the new policy? because i am completely confused, to me it seems like Google just said "you can only use our own advertising network starting aug 2014"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    bump,

can anyone answer my question?

thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    In short just stick to ad networks for showing:

- banner ads
    - interstitial ads (these too preferably ones which you can prefetch - which was always a good idea since without prefetch these ads can make user wait and they can easily press Back button to exit an ad even before it has shown some graphic etc. - but esp. true for interstitial-on-exit where you DO NOT want ad to show up after your app has SEEMINGLY exited and home screen is visible on screen)

- avoid push networks
    - avoid home screen shortcuts
    - avoid browser bookmarks / home page updates (startapp)

Maybe some of the avoid list could become usable later - but for now is probably safer to avoid.

- I would also be suspect about the overlaid-tab type of ad networks which are appearing (as that IS intrusive - and may also interfere with some new Google features which ALSO do something similar i.e.a contextual tab) - though others may be able to shed more light on this type of ad network ..

Basically avoid anything that seems to happen OUTSIDE the app. And this includes using push ads to advertise even your other apps (let alone an ad network's choice of apps etc.). HOWEVER you CAN use push notifications to advertise some new feature in your app or say the award of some coins or some feature become unlocked for the user - i.e. basically if it is something RELATED to the app and which maybe hopefully adds real value to the user so they would want to open your app again.

Having some ad appear on home screen of phone is MAJORLY prohibited by Google - for example if your app has a service which wakes up and does something - but you happen to show an ad occasionally there - that ad will have NO CONTEXT (from the view of the user) - and they will be confused - so this type of ad is ALSO PROHIBITED by Google.

In fact interstitial-on-exit ads should be examined carefully that you can be SURE the ad will be shown very fast (and there is no delay or something and then ad appears) - for this reason AppBrain-type "Do you wish to see more apps ?" type screen (before the actual ads are shown) are probably a good way to show interstitial-on-exit also ..

I think this basically covers it - as far as I have understood it.

11. Likes A1ka1inE, Lockdown, Magnesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adforandroidapps View Post
    In short just stick to ad networks for showing:

- banner ads
    - interstitial ads (these too preferably ones which you can prefetch - which was always a good idea since without prefetch these ads can make user wait and they can easily press Back button to exit an ad even before it has shown some graphic etc. - but esp. true for interstitial-on-exit where you DO NOT want ad to show up after your app has SEEMINGLY exited and home screen is visible on screen)

- avoid push networks
    - avoid home screen shortcuts
    - avoid browser bookmarks / home page updates (startapp)

Maybe some of the avoid list could become usable later - but for now is probably safer to avoid.

- I would also be suspect about the overlaid-tab type of ad networks which are appearing (as that IS intrusive - and may also interfere with some new Google features which ALSO do something similar i.e.a contextual tab) - though others may be able to shed more light on this type of ad network ..

Basically avoid anything that seems to happen OUTSIDE the app. And this includes using push ads to advertise even your other apps (let alone an ad network's choice of apps etc.). HOWEVER you CAN use push notifications to advertise some new feature in your app or say the award of some coins or some feature become unlocked for the user - i.e. basically if it is something RELATED to the app and which maybe hopefully adds real value to the user so they would want to open your app again.

Having some ad appear on home screen of phone is MAJORLY prohibited by Google - for example if your app has a service which wakes up and does something - but you happen to show an ad occasionally there - that ad will have NO CONTEXT (from the view of the user) - and they will be confused - so this type of ad is ALSO PROHIBITED by Google.

In fact interstitial-on-exit ads should be examined carefully that you can be SURE the ad will be shown very fast (and there is no delay or something and then ad appears) - for this reason AppBrain-type "Do you wish to see more apps ?" type screen (before the actual ads are shown) are probably a good way to show interstitial-on-exit also ..

I think this basically covers it - as far as I have understood it.
    Fantastic summary and explanation as usual and I fully agree.