AdMob October Newsletter

This newsletter should go out to all Google Play developers, not only AdMob users, since it gives information about GP itself.

For example, some nice info:

Top 8 Tips for App Developers
We are in constant touch with developers and learn new things every day from them. Here are their answers to big questions you may have about…

1. App name length - descriptive app names rank higher
  2. Keywords vs. phrases - using a comma within your phrase will index you for both the phrases & the words i.e. “Super, cats”
  3. Value of descriptions - relavant (sic) descriptions help with ranking
  4. Impact of star ratings - high star ratings help rankings
  5. In-app tweets/shares - word-of-mouth helps distribution
  6. Keyword stuffing - this does not help as stores are aware of the practice and may reject your app because of it
  7. Download velocity - fast downloads = better ranking, better ranking = fast downloads
  8. Ad spend multiplier - advertising boosts download and an increase in downloads helps ranking

#2 was something I didnt know.

Yes, saw that - and the #2 is highly odd. Where would you use “Angry, Birds” in your description to actually mean “Angry Birds” ? How does use of comma as indicative of a “phrase” even make sense ?

#8 is clearest indication (for those who have asked this question - i.e. is buying ads for pay-for-install ads - is that legal by Google policy ?) - and the answer is yes, Google actually WANTS people to advertise their apps.

One interesting thing in the admob video (that some may have wondered about but is clarified in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6lzICDMmhw
Google AdMob Policies
David McDonough
Streamed live on Sep 26, 2013

Is that they say you should NOT use two ads on the same screen - and this applies to use of other ad networks also. So basically if you are already showing an admob banner ad - then you should NOT show another banner ad (even if it is not admob). You can obviously do this (at least according to admob - though I don’t know if Google Play would have it’s own issues with it) - if you are using other ad networks.

Alsom if you did ad placement as they described in the video you would get almost no revenue from ads. (For example only showing ads on title screen, WTF) I’d understand such recommendations if they offered very high eCPM, but they don’t.

Upgrade today by importing your apps and campaigns into a new AdMob account.

• if this upgrade button is not available within your account yet, it will appear in the next launch in a number of weeks.

I care about this, because in my country it’s still on old Admob. Does Google force everyone upgrade to new Admob? Because if Paypal payment not available, i will stay with old Admob.

1. Keywords vs. phrases - using a comma within your phrase will index you for both the phrases & the words i.e. “Super, cats”

I didn’t understand that part

someone could please explain it to me

Maybe it’s for iOS? iOS has keywords list.

That #2 point explains a bit about how the engine indexes the GP description: the words before and after the comma will also appear together when searching for a phrase with those words (besides appearing individually).

My understanding of this is: the engine will simply ignore the commas.

I just recieved a payment from paypal , and even mine hasnt been upgraded… so business as usual :smiley:

when did you guys recieve this email? I didnt get any…

I got it the day I posted here (last Friday)