Admob revenue vs App quality

I heard that Admob prefers to serve high-paying ads to “high quality apps”.

The question is, how is “app quality” measured by Admob?

Where did you heard it from?

If there is a difference it’s not about quality but quantity - popular app that generates a lot of impressions AND has high CTR might get better paying ads (because AAA advertisers select such apps for their large campaigns). At least that is how it worked in web ads when I worked in that field. We don’t know if it works that way with AdMob or other mobile ads.

I used Admob for app promotion a few times. In ad campaign settings I could target by country, gender, age etc. But I couldn’t choose apps inside which my Ads will be shown.
Maybe this option is only available to premium advertisers?

If there is such option in adMob, then definitely it’s limited to those who have a manager for setting campaigns, or maybe even for real AAA companies, not for the small fish. But it’s all only speculation. I based the comment on my experience with smaller ad networks for www in my country.

If there is such option in adMob, then definitely it’s limited to those who have a manager for setting campaigns, or maybe even for real AAA companies, not for the small fish. But it’s all only speculation. I based the comment on my experience with smaller web ad networks in my country. The small players were setting their campaigns through the web panel, the medium players through phone and the big fish had a person assigned to deal with their demands and the networks were doing everything to make them happy.

If there is such an option in adMob, then definitely it is limited to those who at least have a manager but maybe even only for AAA companies with very large budgets, not for the small fish. But remember it’s all speculation. I based the comment on my experience with smaller web ad networks in my country. The small players were setting their campaigns through the web panel, the medium players through phone and the big fish had a person assigned to deal with their demands and the networks were doing everything to make them happy. Usually the ad campaigns of small players were shown on small sites, while the big player’s campaigns were limited to large and established sites (which could generate enough impression to satisfy the big player). The result was that owners of smaller sites saw lower eCPM than owners of big sites.

Keep in mind that for my games in adMob it’s sometimes the other way around - my games with large number of users have lower eCPM. And we all see even in small games ads from big players - so it might be that adMob doesn’t do such segregation. :slight_smile:

From my experience, it´s not the app´s quality that influences the ads you get, but much more the quality of traffic you generate.

Remember that the difference of eCPM between apps or games, is not connected with how big or small it’s traffic is. Even when you have big traffic, you need to A/B test the position of the ads, searching for the right moment to display it… Overall, how the user is engaged with the ads being displayed in your app.

But for sure, when you reach more than million of daily impressions, the ad networks get more interested in your traffic for campaigns with big budget… It happened once to me.

I can assure that you having millions of impressions per day DOES NOTHING FOR YOU. My banners have slightly below industry standard performance (because the game is too addictive and users don’t want to exit via a banner). I get the dregs of the ads. Like $0.30 eCPM and below for USA traffic on Admob. THAT is why they are last in my advert waterfall.

Ad companies only care about CTR and CPA. This is what they bill on. In order to reduce costs they will obviously send the highest paying inventory to the highest CTR/CPA properties. This brings in the most income ‘right now’.

As you said, if your conversion rate is not good, then I would say that having millions of impressions is worthless. But this situation is different in other cases.