Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

WordHero income report

First revenue report I have done.

Game profile: multiplayer (realtime) Boggle type word finding game first published on 19 Aug 2011. Available on Google Play, BB Playbook, Amazon, Slideme, Appia, etc.

User profile: 5k downloads on Google Play (1k installed), 18k downloads on Amazon, 1k Slideme, misc on other platforms. Most users are Kindle Fire users due to being one of the few Kindle compatible apps around Christmas when everyone got a Kindle as a present.

Almost exclusively 5 star reviews. The game is HIGHLY addictive. Every day around 60 days worth of playtime is played by users (ie: 86400 minutes of play every day!)

Advertising: 320x50 banner ads only.

This is from last month (March 2012) for WordHero (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhs.wordhero)

Prior to March, I was using Mobclix. However, I got sick of them changing numbers (eg: 20k impressions @ > 100 clicks to no impressions, no clicks 3 weeks later!). Sometimes I would see my revenue for a particular day more than halved. I had a lot of great & friendly discussions about this with them, but they don't seem to be able to control the problem. Also dating adverts, which are not appropriate for my family rated app. Sorry Adam !

So, I pushed an update to change to Mopub.

Millennial Media:
    CTR: 0.30%
    Fill rate: 40%
    eCPM $0.20
    Income: $6.54

Admob:
    CTR: 0.14%
    Fill rate: 78%
    eCPM: $0.04
    Income: $3.64

Mobclix (long tail... people not upgrading):
    CTR: 0.22%
    Fill rate: ??
    eCPM: $0.12
    Income: $60.27

Mopub marketplace:
    CTR: ??
    Fill rate: ??
    eCPM: $0.11
    Income: $48.59

Jumptap:
    CTR: 0.27%
    Fill rate: 83%
    eCPM: $0.13
    Income: $142.09

Tapit:
    CTR: 0.17%
    Fill rate: 82%
    eCPM: $0.06
    Income: $19.23

Total for March: $ 280
    Total impressions: 2.28 million on 90 sec timer.

Due to the $100 limit before anyone actually pays me, the only one who will pay me is Jumptap, and then only in 3 months time.

This is pretty much the first month I have gone over $100 and will get paid.
    Average users in a game since the beginning of the year:

Since the game talks to Google's Appengine as a Cloud server for all login's, leaderboards and game results for each game, we also have ongoing costs (around $50/month).

If anyone knows how to get better than 0.11 eCPM for millions of impressions on just banner ads... lets chat (unless you suggest push or notification ads).
    SVEN Studios Corp
    WordHero - realtime multiplayer 4x4 grid word game
    Anagram Hero - realtime multiplayer Anagram finding word game
    WordSearch Hero - realtime multiplayer Wordsearch word game
    Math Hero - realtime multiplayer Math game
    Avatar Hero - Create your own Avatar

2. Likes sisyphus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

RE: WordHero income report

Added Swappit and pushed all the adverts to them on a 30 second cycle. Doing 185k adverts/day atm. Swappit points to the android market page for WordHero, but I don't see the number of downloads increasing significantly.
    SVEN Studios Corp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

So many impressions, so little clicks.
    I suggest that you check how to improve those numbers, because this way you won't get high paying ads. 1M impressions should get much more money.

Your must try to get your ctr to 1.5% minimal, better would be 2%+

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yep... that is what everyone says... and NOBODY can tell me how. Except "change your refresh so you get less impression.... that will increase your CTR" ... well, DUH, but that masks/hides the problem, it does not fix it!
    SVEN Studios Corp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I know its frustrating but keep in mind that the people here want to help you. With that said I have downloaded your game and took a look.
    Here are some things that might help.
    Your refresh rate in game seem too high for me, you have a fast phased game where time counts. I think you should try to keep the refresh rate in game at 1 refresh per game. Give people the time to read the ad. Note that in game ads are hard for people to give attention because their focused on the game. You might get less impressions, but a better ctr is worth more.

My second advise would be to try out other placements of your banner. Maybe you will get more clicks if the banner in the scoreboard is placed at tfhe bottom.

Try to get banners at a place where people have the time to read them. Maybe a banner at the start screen or a game over dialog showing your score with a ok button to click before sending the users to the scoreboard.

There mightt be some more good tips on this forum to increase your ctr and eventually increase your income.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the comments. To address them:
    1) Refresh was reset to 30 seconds this weekend to get max impressions (185k/day) because they were coming from swappit.com ... I was trying them out. You swap adverts with other apps. I did not see any increase in installs though. I filed a support request with them asking wtf?
    2) Refresh rate prior to this weekend was 90 seconds (game is 2min30secs). CTR is around 0.2%
    3) Moving banner to the bottom. Good point ! Does anyone have metrics for banner at top vs banner at bottom ?
    4) There is no 'game over'. All game clients and the server are synchronized. This is part of why my app is HORRIBLY addictive (trade secret here )

Thanks for the feedback! It is very much appreciated !
    SVEN Studios Corp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Moving banners is mostly a try error thing. It really depends on the content of the screen. In your case I notished my eyes where drawn to the lower part of the screen on the results page thats why I mentioned it, so maybe it will do better at the bottom. Lets hope so

Keep us posted on the results of swappit, its very interesting to see if it will have any effect in the next weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Well, I paused all traffic to swappit (pending a email reply) and reset the refresh timer from 30 seconds to 180 seconds.....

What I will do (since my game is server/client), is to add code to allow the server to configure if each advert is on the top or bottom..... then load the appropriate XML. This way I can modify layout in the clients directly from the server.

Initially, I was going to have two different advert ID's, so I could get CTR's for each, but the mopub guys recommended against it. I don't remember why.

I contend though that because my app is so addictive and fast paced, that users spend their entire time looking at the game board to the exclusion of everything else. ie: the game is well designed as an addictive platform (which I spent a lot of time on), but poorly designed as a advert CTR platform. Zynga seems to do this a lot better.
    SVEN Studios Corp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Hmm... so, this evening I implemented all banners as configurable top or bottom based on server side data. It is interesting to note that the game tends to draw your eye to a particular position (eg: game timer... how much time is left).... and I had the banners on the opposite side of the screen in 2 of 3 cases.

I will release an update tomorrow night and see how it goes... could just be my imagination.
    SVEN Studios Corp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Another comment I have: If your advertising is sending users to your Android Market page, but nobody is installing.... well, it means your landing page on the Android Market sucks. Could be screenshots, could be the text. Whatever it is, it is not working. Fix it!
    SVEN Studios Corp