uses-feature in eclipse, need help!

Hi all, i’m new to eclipse, also new to java and everything related to Android, I’m having problem here, or may be i did something wrong?

I’m reading the book “beginning android games” from Apress, by following it, i’ve installed…

• The Java Development Kit (JDK) 7u3
  • The Android Software Development Kit
  • Eclipse for Java EE Developers
  • The Android Development Tools (ADT) plug-in for Eclipse
  • Updated all Android SDK from 1.5 to 4.0.3

And I’m stuck in somewhere when it comes to uses-feature, it ask to me add…

<uses-feature android:name=“android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch”
android:required=“true”/>

So i did, and end up there’s error…

No resource identifier found for attribute ‘required’ in package ‘android’

Also, most of the info in the book they are teaching in code format instead of GUI, its so confusing for a beginner, it takes a lot of time for me to figure out where to find where is the code listed in GUI :frowning:

Like example I mentioned above, I couldn’t find where is the uses-feature in GUI, so wasted my 1 hour time to figure out copy and paste the code in to .xml. :dodgy:

Any help will highly appreciated.

Thanks.

if they only teach in code, they should name thair book “beginning java games” … because android development consists heavily on knowing how it works, if you don’t want to deliver an app full of bugs.

Your error looks like you are using the wrong SDK Version (maybe to old) where this specific attribute does not exist yet.

Also, use the Editor of eclipse, do not edit the manifest manually.

For GUI I’ve found it more practical for ME to make it in code for various reasons. If your app highly depends on a android GUI, than go for the specific docs - it is a wide subject, if you want to use it properly.

If you are solely working with openGL - you should mention to make your gui in opengl too … I like that approach, so I have no true dependency to android :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Seriously the book is bringing me to insane mode, making me so blur, the book comes with exercises file, when its time to import the chapter exercise file, it don’t ask you to do, it will just continue… bla bla bla… until i figure out all the sources are from exercise file, when i import to Eclipse, there are massive error in most of the .java, from here i couldn’t really continue learning, i keep on stucking at so many place.

I only use Eclipse editor to edit the manifest.xml, but I cant add “uses-feature” from Eclipse GUI editor, i have to copy and paste or type it manually.

I think this is a wrong book for me, where should i start actually? i really want to learn how to develop games in Android platform.

Thanks.

Have you any experience in developing? I am a professional software developer so it was quite easy for me to learn everything I need from the public android docs or some tutorials on the web.

Sadly, I cannot help you very much with sources how you can start. You may consider using some framework which handles most of the internals for you.

check out libgdx ( http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/ ) - it has the benefit that you can develop and test your game on desktop which is very helpful.

I have no experience at all, but I have coding basic in Adobe Flash, does it helps?

or I must learn Java Essential before i start?

Thanks.

Check: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4275461/uses-feature-required-false-in-manifest-xml-not-compiling-on-android-1-6

Seems you are using the wrong api level: <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion=“5” />

It would definitely help to learn some Java before you try to figure out the Android framework. When I started, I was familiar with a few programming languages including VB .NET and C#, which definitely helped get off to a quick start. Things will be a lot easier if you learn the programming language first, and then learn how it applies to Android apps.

That said, there’s no reason you can’t learn them both together, if you’re committed enough. I’d recommend taking a look at the YouTube tutorial series by NewBoston, which walks you through what’s required to get started with Android development. It’s got 200 lessons all on YouTube, for free!

i Agree with David, if you are completely new to programming than it might be a bit hard to learn Java and the Android framework all at once. But if you know your basic language like C++ or C# the learning curve to Java is not that hard.

Hi David, thank you very much for the tutorial links, I’m gonna watch and learn all, btw, do i still need to learn Java Essential??

I’m not sure what you’re talking about with “Java Essential”. If you learn plain, ordinary Java, you should be pretty right with Android programming.

What I mean is do I have learn very basic of Java first before I jump into Android programming?

Anyway, your reply already answer me, thank you.