Admob's new rule:Do not place interstitial ads on app load and when exiting apps as i

Please read new Admob rule: https://support.google.com/admob/answer/6201362?hl=en&ref_topic=2745287

and read the folowing link: Google Ads Developer Blog: How to Create a Google Mobile Ads Splash Screen Interstitial on Android

I am considering to change all my applications because the new rule of Admob. Do you have any ideas for interstitials ads? For the game, I could show interstitial ad when user switches to new level or game over. Nonetheless, for application, it is quite tricky because possibly I could annoy user if the interstitial ad affects user experience.

Any advice? Thanks in advance

when did this come out? how long do they usually give us to change all of our apps ? :frowning:

I do not know. It seems that is was updated at March 24, 2015. Please see the link Google Ads Developer Blog: How to Create a Google Mobile Ads Splash Screen Interstitial on Android

Only for admob? Strange - should be applied for every ad network. Probably they will check it during updates of apps.

I think that right now Google will not suspend or remove applications which violate this rule because there are a lot of applications which have been loading interstitial ads at app load. Nevertheless, we should prepare to implement this rule to avoid any consequences in some months to come.

I emailed my account manager for admob. Will inform you about response.

Thanks a lot

Well, I normally load ad 4-5 seconds after the app launch, I don’t know if it is still app launch (4-5 seconds + ad load time). Anyway, the rules that they are putting starts to get annoying… really…
One new app is ready, waiting for icon, now I have to change it (as the ad was on app launch).

but here Google Ads Developer Blog: How to Create a Google Mobile Ads Splash Screen Interstitial on Android it says:

Update (March 24, 2015): Per recent policy updates, interstitial ads on app-load are not recommended. See the AdMob help center for the latest interstitial policy guidance.

if it is just recommendation, lets just thank them and keep doing what we did…

Interesting what are they doing when you update an app with interestitials on launch… Reject?

Exit Ads and Splash screen like in Startapp will be done ? :(((

Last week I was updating my app and got it rejected 7! times before I understood the reason. I was getting the standard email saying that my update is violating some copyrights infrigenments and it had deceptive behaviour. I went on changing all the screens, the description, icon, but still was getting the update rejected.

So my last hope was to try to remove the interstitial on app launch, and guess what? It got approved…although the initial version of the app had the interstitial on app launch and it got approved, so I think they changed their policy in the last few weeks.

p.s. this is also might be an unique case that happened to me, please don’t take this as a general rule…try it yourself.

I worried that I had right. So putting new version (better one) could be shot in the foot - caused by huge drop in revenue…

Is it written in Google Developer Policy? Because recommendation couldn’t give reject. If your apps was rejected interstitials on app launch are forbidden.

I have no idea, but I’m 99% sure that the verification was made by a bot which saw in my app this scenario: splash screen=> interstitial=> main activity, so showing an interstitial before main activity might be the reason it raised a red flag.

There are certain types of apps which are going to be impossible to monetize now, maybe that’s what they want who knows. Free apps for everyone and no money for developers who take the time to build and provide them to their market ecosystem. Think about the flow of an app that has a single function where banners or other ad types wouldn’t be appropriate, like a flashlight app for example or something that requires as much screen real estate as possible during usage. If you can’t load an interstitial at start or exit, are you supposed to interrupt the user’s experience in the middle of the app usage? Ugh…I predict a mass exodus away from admob in the near future.

Hi I raise this in their forums before. For developers focusing on utility and productivity apps, you are pretty not allowed interstitial due to the nature of the app function. Most of such app categories consist of data setup in the beginning and then the user let the app to do the job in the background. User interaction with the app is minimal although user tend to keep the app installed longer as it serves their daily life needs. Once a while they will go into the app to see the collected result by the app. Apps functions that are pretty the norm for corporate users within company.

With such rules, it spell the impending doom of such app categories development from indie developers. And viola commercial companies will glee over the exodus of such indie app developers competing with them on monies. I have been in development of such corporate systems for 16 years so I know apps of such nature are frequently built by commercial companies for clients although at a grander scale due to clients big budgets. I was leveraging on Android emergence to offer app of such nature built by corporate companies into the hands of normal end users in your own private Android phones and tablets albeit at a much lower scale.

I guess maybe for indie developers we should start developing Android games instead.

You can just use other network than adMob until Google modifies the developer agreement to suit AdMob again.

Is this Android only ruling or for iOS + WP8 also?

It’s interesting whether you will get better CTR either;

1. Having interstital on startup
  2. Having interstitial after clicking ‘play’ (or similar)

I suppose it MAY overall lead to better revenue, hitting a user with full screen ads on startup maybe doesn’t bring the best $ overall?

I receive a email from admob. And now my APP cannot show interstitial AD.
How about yours ??? ( I don’t have income from this APP now :~~ I want to cry. )

My APP is a camera APP. I just don’t want to disturb user. So I put interstitial AD after APP exit. (I also have other 2 camera APP. I think that they will quickly be disabled.)

Below is the email I receive from Admob (After receive this email few hours, interstitial AD cannot display.)… I still don’t know how to do.

Could anyone give me suggestion? Or you also receive this email ???
Please share information with me.

Hello,
This email is to alert you that one of your applications is not currently in compliance with our AdMob program policies and as a result, ad serving has been disabled to your application.

Issue ID#: XXXXXXXX

Ad serving has been disabled to: Mirror Camera (com.jkfantasy.camera.jkpmirrorcamera)

Action required: Check all other remaining applications in your account for compliance.

Current account status: Active

Violation explanation

LAYOUT ENCOURAGES ACCIDENTAL CLICKS - INTERSTITIAL ADS: Publishers are not permitted to encourage users to click AdMob interstitial ads in any way. This includes any implementation that may encourage accidental clicks, such as placing an interstitial ad in a way that prevents viewing the app’s core content or placing an interstitial ad in a way that interferes with navigating or interacting with the app’s core content and functionality.

Please review how you’ve implemented interstitial ads and be mindful of the following common examples of non-compliant implementations:

Interstitial ads that appear before the app has opened or after the app has closed.
Interstitial ads that are triggered after a user closes another interstitial ad.
Interstitial ads loading unexpectedly while a user is viewing the app’s content. Remember to only serve interstitials between pages of content.
Interstitial ads that trigger after every user click.
Interstitial ads that appear during periods of game play or heavy user interaction.
For more information about our policies and tips for how to comply please read the following:

AdMob ad placement policy
AdMob interstitial ad guidance

Action required: Check account for compliance
While ad serving has been disabled to the above app, your AdMob account remains active. We suggest that you take the time to review the rest of your applications to ensure that they’re in compliance with our policies, and to monitor your apps accordingly to reduce the likelihood of future policy emails from us. Additionally, please note that our team reserves the right to disable accounts at any time if we continue to see violations occurring.

Appeals
If you wish to appeal this disabling then you can do so by using our appeal form.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

The Google AdMob Team

I will upload an app today, where I start loading an interstitial ad 2-3 seconds after launch, I will let you know what happens…