sharing apk file is against Google policy?

instead of sharing link of my app,i want to share its APK file.

when user will click “Share” button.within my app,it will share the APK file with user rather than its market link.
is it against Google policy?

In my opinion, from the moment your provided apk requires the user to disable the play store-only apps protection setting, google may consider it a security breach. That’s why I would say it’s against the policies

i too have a feeling that Google might dislike it in either way.

Though its not mentioned in their policies.

But the option of “3rd party apps” install enable/disable shoild not be a problem for them. this is just a setting and settings could be anything as long as user is knowing what he is doing.
we all use that option.

moreover apps which says taking backup of applications also deal with similar stuff. any idea how ot is different than them? i have an app which takes backup of apps and then can be installed in another phones.

anyone else would like to discuss on this or anything to share?

I guess you need to look at intent.

1. Backup app: intent is legit and user has full control
    …vs…
  2. Asking users to install an APK that Google won’t allow (eg: due to invasive ads)… probably not a great idea…

I don’t think it’s not fine by google, since there are other app stores like the amazon app store that allows you to download apks while it is in the google play.

It is against Google policy. @samueli - there are, but you have to download them from their website - Amazon app was suspended for allowing to download apps from Amazon AppStore.

Well didn’t know they were banned, only couple of years ago it was allowed.