Should OPs be able to close/delete threads?

G’day all,

Lately I’ve noticed quite a few people have been starting threads, and then later requesting for them to be deleted for one reason or another.

At the moment, people are only able to edit or delete their own posts - but not delete entire threads (even if they are the OP [Original Poster]). Only a moderator can delete threads as it stands right now.

Just wanted to raise this as a question to everyone here. What do you think should be the policy on this? Allowing everyone to delete their own threads could potentially lose some valuable discussion if others have also contributed replies. On the other hand, if there’s a thread which is only relevant for a short period of time perhaps people would rather delete it, instead of having an old discussion hanging around.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

Cheers,
David (yes, I’m still alive! :slight_smile:)

Nice to see you on this forum:p

No I don’t think so they should not be allowed to delete even their own threads because

1. Someone can scam people here and then delete it so there won’t be any proof
  2. As you just said some threads contain some very valuable information so if the OP[Original poster] gets into a fight after sometime in his thread he will delete
    the whole thread at any time and with that all the replies with some valuable info will also be deleted

Hi David. Thank you for creating this forum. I lean towards no. Closing a thread doesn’t really help hide anything. If anything, maybe the downtime that comes daily at GMT 0:00 (And lasts hours at times) could be addressed. IMO, that is a more pressing issue.

I agree with taimur97, don’t let the OP delete their own thread, the reason is like he had said.

After getting published, a thread becomes a public property and author should double check every thing before hitting the post button. Such exclusive rights are not justifiable, especially for threads with comments and an ongoing discussion

After getting published, a thread becomes a public property and author should double check every thing before hitting the post button. Such exclusive rights are not justifiable, especially for threads with comments and an ongoing discussion

i agree with you and we should close to get space

What wrong

Nice post , thank you for sharing

Happy to see you here and thanks for this information.

Not delete, but OPs should allowed to close the thread. If necessary!

YourSweeps - Dominos Gift Card - SOI (US)
http://lnkclik.com/86Q5