Introduce Yourself

Well folks, here’s a thread where you can get to know each other. For new members, feel free to post a bit about yourself - where you come from, what you like to do, what makes you awesome :slight_smile:

To start things off, I’m David Webb from Queensland, Australia. You may know me from my blog, http://makingmoneywithandroid.com/. Apart from Android though, I’ve got a lot of other interests including music (I play piano), photography & reading old-fashioned physical books (action, mystery & classical literature mainly). My most recent read was “Ghost In The Wires” by Kevin Mitnick - an entertaining & enlightening book about the most wanted hacker in the world.

My gear consists of a Samsung Galaxy S II, Apple iPad 2 (soon to be joined by the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime), an Asus laptop (Core i7, 12GB RAM), and the old HTC Magic.

If you’re interested in my Android apps, check them out on the Android Market.
For a full bio of my computer related activities, check out the blog.
If you’d like to stay in touch, sign up to this forum :wink: or find me on Google+.

Now, what about you?

Alright, I’ll go. I’m Oli Wright, currently based in London, England. I’m an ex-dev turned project manager who’s periodically playing with Android development in his spare time. Unfortunately the latter is in short supply, but I’m trying to at least keep my eye on what’s going on. Outside of Android and work I enjoy playing the guitar, videogames (I admin over at UK-TF) and picking up whatever random skills I can through Groupon (most recently, sushi making …). Have recently been reading some classic Sci-Fi (the Ender’s Game series) but am currently getting into The Future of The Internet and How To Stop It as it’s been sitting on my bookshelf for 3 years …

I wield a HTC Desire HD and iPod touch on the move, with a backup Samsung Galaxy Europa at home. I have a custom built desktop for gaming et al, and then a Macbook Air for portability.

Apps on the market
Blog infrequently updated
Findable on Google+

Hello David, Oli and the others,

I’m Johannes Borchardt from Munich, Germany. I have been an Android fan and developer since the beginning of 2009. Since then I’ve published some apps (see here and here) and founded ANDLABS, a company specialized in Android development. I was blessed to work with some of the most talented Android developers out there and am blogging on some Android related topics on droid-blog.net.
I’m a passionate practitioner of the martial art Aikido and love training.

My current equipment is a Exo PC running Honneycomb X86, a Nexus One, a Galaxy Nexus and some older Vaio laptop which I connect to a 40" Samsung smart TV.
You can find me here on Google+

Hi @ everyone

My name is Eike aka Zet and I am living in Hamburg, Germany. I am working for a browser game company and am developing my own stuff in my free time (which is pretty short). I started looking into the Android SDK just about six months ago. I have now released my first game on the market and am absolutely not impressed with my download stats (not gonna mention income). I therefore try to figure out now why this is the case (I think I am better at coding), hence stumbling on this forum :slight_smile:

My Android market stuff is here.

I am also on Google+

I call two Android devices my own, a G1 and a Nexus S.

My passion is coding and drawing.

Your game is really really cool. Very nice! Added a good comment to the market. Hope it catches on.

Nice to meet you.

Charlie

[hr]
Hey guys,

My name is Charlie.

I am a software engineer out of New Jersey who is making Android games in his spare time for fun mostly, with a dribble of income. Currently I am working for a major telecommunications company during the day and making games by night.

As a history, I first got into coding for games by making a mod for the original version of quake called Headhunters. It was pretty popular and has been ripped off for many games since, including the most recent version of Halo.

Since then, I have dabbled in learning 3D graphics programming but only as a part time effort for fun. No real education.

When I got my original Droid, I figured I would give programming for Android a try. I taught myself Java which I didn’t know and OpenGL which I only had a little experience in and cracked open my old high school Trig textbooks and made a game called Lava Ball. Problem is that I spent too much time on the technology of the game and very little time on actually making the game fun. As it stands, it is still a pretty cool tech demo and has made a little money with about 400 paid downloads.

Rebound was my next game which was really simple to code and is a fun game. I am making about 5 bucks a day off of that one mainly because of its very high CTR. It has about 40K downloads but only 7K actives.

Tap Crazy is my latest effort. It has about 15K downloads and 3 K actives and is making a few bucks a day for me.

My latest is a brick breaker/breakout style game that is not released. It is pretty cool.

Gonna try to churn out a bunch of low end advertised games with cross referenced ads to each other (papi marketing style) after that to try to increase revenue.

Anyway, that is my story. Nice to meet you all.

Regards

FYI, currently using a Droid Razr.

Let me introduce myself too.

I’m Martin from the Netherlands, 30 years old and working as a developer for the last 10 years.
Got into programming when I was about 12 years old and never stopped since.

I had tree windows phones before I got my first Android phone at the beginning of 2011. And I liked the idea of an open OS so I started looking into programming for Android in November this year. So basicly I just started. I’m planning of making a couple of apps in 2012, till then I am just working at simple concepts and learning the Android framework.

I also write a blog at http://martin.cubeactive.com I try to give helpfull posts about the programming languages I use. The last two months I mainly blogged about Android.

I stumbled upon this blog and it is fun to see a developer passionate about his apps. I hope you reach your goal soon David.

Currently I own a Desire-Z and of course a Windows laptop.

Hello,

I’m Brian and I’m from the southern US. I work as a SQL database developer and started writting apps as a hobby.

I preordered the original HTC Dream (G1) and have been a huge android fan ever since. I always wanted to get into coding apps for it but never did until earlier this year. I could kick myself for that because if I would have started back then I could have gotten my aps noticed alot quicker since the market was tiny then.

I have a couple of apps released so far and working on my third which I hope to release in the next month. I’ve gotten an ok number of downloads (almost 5k) but my income is really small. I’m learning that banner ads alone don’t cut it unless you can get a huge audience or an app that people spend a lot of time in.

Here is a link to my blog. I have a couple of income reports there. fiveHellions Development

Hi I’m Tim from the Netherlands,

I’m 37 and own a bar restaurant in Amsterdam.

I’ve recently started doing my bachelor in Software Engineering (HBO Informatica) and for one of the modules I have to do a, small, desk research about a subject I can choose myself.

I chose to write a piece about the different ways to make money on the Android market so I ended up here right at the start of the forum.

One of the things I plan to do with the skills I learn in my study is do some app developing so my stay here will hopefully not be limited to just the duration of my assignment. Seems like I’ve found a place with great potential and already people with quite some experience under their belts are showing up.

I guess I’ll take the role as the one who asks all the beginner questions so the rest of you can feel good about yourselves! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all , my name is hasan agh , i am 15 years old ,
I used to be a hacker but got bored , and started making websites , i started with a blogspot website , but know i have 7 regular domain .
Focusing on internet marketinh and affliate marketting , i loved this blog and forum so much , really david you are so creative and informative proud to know you , hope i get to know android dev soon thx 4 this awesome forum
Ammm i have an htc chacha , hp laptop and lenovo notebook

Hello,

My name is Jüri, Im from Estonia. Have been practicing android development and java programming in general for a few months now and finally I’m getting somewhere. Maybe in a month or so my app will be ready. I own Samsung Galaxy GT-I55500 and Archos 7ob e-book reader, also runs android. Love to read books and etc.

Hello from Boston everyone!

Great place David! Its good to see a forum where people discuss their market experiences here as well. I’ve been doing android for about 2 years now and have always wanted to have apps on the android market. So, I am here for ideas, interests, tech discussions, getting help and just for the fun of discussing android. :slight_smile:

Going by the template, I find myself reading a lot of astronomy and physics related articles (but do not have the patience of reading a book).

• Keep coding!

Hi Everyone,

I am Meet from India and am new to Android Development.
I am currently an engineering student and plan to learn android development in my spare time.

You have a great place going on here.
There is some excellent advice available for newbies like me.

Please keep going :slight_smile:

I’m from the US, Kansas to be exact. I can tell I’m the most total newbie here. I started out as a computer science major years ago & changed to business mgt because I didn’t want to sit behind a computer all day - well, I sit behind one anyway, just not doing what I really like doing. When my kids were young I used to install Linux on our computers… I’m talking 12-14 years ago; my daughter hated the penguin. Now she’s in college & taking CS101; she calls me and asks how Android came about & to tell me the computer lab computers run on Linux. That darn penguins come a long ways I tell her. Through the years I’ve done warranty work for Dell & HP… Ya, that really paid well…it was just in m my spare time…kind of how I got my computer fix. my original rooted moto Droid was what got me interested in Android development, & a half price Lenovo k1 tablet has just added to the fascination.

Found your site this morning & mybringback on YouTube to help me get the sdk’s installed & start learning java, so I’m probably St for some late, frustrating nights

Hello Fellow Android Developers/Users!

My name is Yolanda and I’m currently living in Los Angeles, CA. I have an ongoing ecommerce business selling children’s formal wear (PinkPrincess.com) but have left the daily operations of the company and started an Android and iOS game and app development company.

I’m passionate a entrepreneur, blogger, photographer, actor, filmmaker, hiker, and home cooker!

In 2009, my co-founder Gary Suyemoto of Mad Mochi (www.madmochi.com) and I decided to combine our shared passion in fun and simple games to create new, fulfilling experiences for today’s gamers.
Our goal is to create and combine casual, social, and hard core gaming all into one for the iPhone, iPad, Android, Flash, and much more.

We started off publishing our first Android game now on the Android Market (Tip Tap Tile Ultimate Edition) and am now continuing to make more apps as well.

If anyone has any questions I can help with, I am more than happy to try my best. Cheers!

Hi everyone

I’m from Switzerland, 25 years old and into computers since the age of 7. I’m currently finishing my bachelor and working part time in a major telco. I started with android apps in april 2011 and got a pretty great start with 3 soundboards with over 100k downloads each.

I’ve made the Achmed , Portal 2, Hangover Part 2 and Walter Soundboards which were all disabled by google without any specific reason after 3-6 months (but obviously because of copyright problems :wink: )

So I then started with my new app called Facr which is a Face Recognition app, but sadly it’s more like a tech demo. I definately missed the business case with this app.

Anyway some nice app ideas are ghosting around my head and you can expect them to appear soon :smiley:

I should probably put something in here. My name’s Matt, I live in a little place called Kenley and work in Croydon. I work with Pensions, although luckily I’m out of pension admin now - I’m one of the people they call in when it’s discovered that a mistake has been made. I work out the impact and tell them how to fix it. It can be interesting, but mostly not. In March I’ll be moving to a new company and a different job, and I have no real idea what it involves except that there will be lots of spreadsheets. I can’t wait.

I have a beautiful wife, a lovely little dog and a cute cat at home, and they’re what prompted me to start working with Android. I’ve always been interested in programming, but mostly limited to hobby-work. A few php websites for friends and forums, the occasional VB macro to make work a bit easier. When I got my HTC Desire, I was very keen to have a play with Android, but I’ve never done anything with Java. I had a play with App Inventor, and released a couple of things (mostly tying in to php webpages) but never really had a good enough grasp to try monetising.

I’ve been following the MakingMoneyWithAndroid blog almost from the beginning, and it’s been a real inspiration. Part of my new year’s resolutions this year was to spend more time with Java and learn how to use it - and I finally found a little time. My first proper Java app has been released to the market yesterday (although I’m going to make a separate post about it in the promote your app bit of the store rather than put links here).

I hope to make a few pennies so that I can eventually work from home on apps. That’s a long way off though…

Hi Everyone,

Guess it’s my turn. My name is Dustin Hansen, I’m from Idaho, in the US. I’m 31 (ancient, right?) and I’ve been programming in one capacity or another for 13 years. My first Android phone was the G1, and I’ve loved it just as much as it seems you guys have ever since.

I’ve got two kids, and I actually started programming a game specifically for my daughter that just entered first grade this year. A couple of friends saw the game while she was playing it, and they wanted a copy too, so I figured, wtf, why not throw it up on the Android market.

I’ve got two apps up now, and the first one is near 3,000+ downloads, and the most recent one is gaining about 100+ new users a day, it’s pretty cool to see how quickly a good game can gain traction in the marketplace.

I’m primarily using PhoneGap/Cordova as I really like the aspect of using HTML5, CSS3, and canvas for building nice cross-platform games that finally have hardware acceleration!

Nice to meet you all. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!

My name is Stan, I’m currently living in Australia.
I’m a beginner developer for Android. So far I’ve only released one game called Doptrix
Seems like I managed to make it unique and interesting, it already has ~15.000 downloads and 4.7 rating, which is good, right? :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, monetization is not going very well. I hope to find some valuable tips on this forum.

good luck hope its big!!

Hi all,

I’ve been reading the blog and forums for a while, but probably time I interact now :wink:

I live Cape Town, South Africa.

I’ve been in the IT industry for over 10 years doing mostly support, but after working my way from fixing pcs to fixing servers to fixing linux, pabx system and firewalls and getting bored, I’ve slowly started moving over to software development. Like most others here, my personal time to work on apps is quite limited, especially since I do software development (web-based business software) at work all day I don’t always want to code at night.

I’m developing apps with a friend, he does design, graphics and testing while I do the coding. We’ve got a basic website running currently - www.ambrosia-designs.co.za which we use for the apps we make as well as our gaming addictions (mmos).

We actually started with Blackberry development (my work phone is a blackberry so was a good place to start), and I’m hoping to find time soon to actually produce an income report for everyone to see regarding the blackberry app side of things.

I’ve shifted to android as there’s a much bigger market and more ways to monetize.

The plan is to slowly but surely generate enough income to work on it full time.