Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Creating an Admob House Ad campaign - SUCCESSFUL

Given all the talk about cross-promotion among developers, I tried to create a "House Ad" on admob.

Here is the sequence of events ..

So promoting own app in the banner ad space of another of your apps.

In admob - clicked on Sites & Apps - House Ads.

Created a "campaign" - which had a running time (default was for a week or so - with a start and end date/time). If you change it to something shorter like 2 days it shows a red mark on the end date - don't know what that means.

Give it a "campaign name", then an "adgroup name" (I guess this is different varieties of ads all under the same "campaign").

Chose an ad type - there was a choice of "banner and text" and "android app download" (chose this). If you choose the android app option - the Ad URL becomes a "market://" link i.e. as you would give for an app on Google Play.

You can choose to provide an image, but I chose the text ads - and just wrote down a text line.

Entered the market:// link for the app that was requiring promotion.

There was a box for "display URL" which only has space for 32 characters or something - in the end just typed play.google.com in there - that seemed to get accepted.

There were checkboxes next to the apps you have on admob - and checked the app that was going to display the banner ads.

Then there was a "impression goal" - I checked "full allocate" - which I am guessing refers to the "House Ads" i.e. this campaign gets 100% allocation of the House Ad stream.

Apart from this - decided to add "Admob House Ads" as another "advertiser" to the banner ad mediation for the app that is showing banner ads.

I went into admob mediation for the app showing the banner ads - and while I had currently setup to:

Admob 75%
    AppBrain 23%
    Greystripe 1%
    mmedia 1$

I changed that to (i.e. shifted some Admob traffic to house ads):

Admob House Ads 100%
    Admob 0%
    AppBrain 0%
    Greystripe 0%
    mmedia 0%

Then I may have "run" the House Ads just to make sure they were running.

After some rebooting of the phone and waiting around for no ads appearing for some time - maybe about 10 minutes later started seeing the banner ads.

Here is the format of the banner ad as it appeared on screen:

In addition to the demo shown when you entered the text - the banner ad ALSO includes the title of the app and the rating stars and the number of reviews ! - so you really need to make sure your text fits in the first line (though admob warns you if you go over into the second line) - I suspect this won't be the case for the banner and text ads.

Perhaps if one really wants to tailor the banner to exclude the display of ratings etc. - one can use the "banner and text" option instead of "android app download" option (discussed above).

This may then have just the text you enter.

I suppose one COULD setup a between-developer setup - where instead of a market:// link one would use a redirection URL - which maybe a redirect by the developer website - this way they can count how many redirects they are getting from another developer.

Of course there could be a central website which does this redirection for developers - and that would provide stats that developers could quote as definitive etc.

CONCLUSION - Admob House Ads - for the banner ads using simple text - and pointing to Google Play app download - are working. Now to see how impactful this is for downloads. Of course much will depend on the text copy and the relatedness of the other app to the app running the banner ad.

2. Likes amalvj123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Now that I know the House ads are working:

- the only House Ad campaign I have is being given "full allocation" i.e. 100% of the stream from House Ads I am guessing is what it means ..

- "Admob House Ads" as an "advertiser" in the admob mediation is being given 100% - so I was sure to see their ad first ..

Now to scale back the admob mediation so that "Admob House Ads" shares the ad space with the other ad networks I had before ..

So the admob mediation situation goes from:

Admob House Ads 100%
    Admob 0%
    AppBrain 0%
    Greystripe 0%
    mmedia 0%

to:

Admob House Ads 50%
    Admob 25%
    AppBrain 23%
    Greystripe 1%
    mmedia 1$

Effectively I have gone from 75% Admob originally to 25% to Admob - this will surely cut Admob revenue - now to see how much it impacts downloads of the other app I am promoting ..

I would be able to see the redirects in House Ad webpage - but perhaps would only be able to guess at any impact if there is an anomalous rise in the downloads for the promoted app.

This being the weekend there is going to be a bump anyway, so it maybe difficult to separate out the effects.

Let's see what happens ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Here is admob help page for House Ads (which I read after doing the above):

https://support.google.com/admob/answer/1619751?hl=en

Select the ad type you want to create in this group.
    - iOS App Download: A banner or text plus tile ad that drives a download of an iOS application.
    - Android App Download: A banner or text plus tile ad that drives a download of an Android application.
    - Crossfade Banner: A banner ad that fades between 10 different images and leads users to a website you specify.
    - Banner or Text: A banner or text ad that leads to a website you specify.

Fully allocate: 100% of all ad requests will be allocated to this ad group during the campaign period. No paid ads will be served during this time. If you have multiple ad groups with this option set, all ad requests will be allocated evenly between those groups.

The Crossfade banner maybe used to animate the banner.

In the blog post below, the author points out that using "fully allocate" for two different campaigns which were targeting different apps (so you don't promote the same app in the banner ad) behaved as expected.

His blog post also points out how he set up Google Play and Amazon Kindle setups - he also used "fully allocate" for his House Ads.

Stupid Admob Tricks | Gushiku Studios
    Stupid Admob Tricks
    Submitted by gushikuadmin on Sat, 09/01/2012 - 11:35

And some conflicting info from google on this (from 2012 I think) - since my use case is similar to the case examined in the blog post above, I am assuming it should work ok by just using "fully allocate" for all House Ad campaigns - and control their percentages with Admob mediation percentages (or if you are using eCPM etc. perhaps):

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...dk/BVEW7Ix-_Cs
    Google AdMob Ads Developers
    Fully Allocated House Ads? + Mediation
    3 posts by 2 authors
    The recommendation here is to create a separate AdMob publisher ID that is fully allocated to house ads. Then when you set up AdMob Mediation, you can use your main publisher ID for the AdMob network, and your house ads publisher ID for the AdMob House Ads network.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Deleting this post which pointed to problems setting up Admob mediation (but which turned out to be my mistake - and is documented in the post below).
    Last edited by adforandroidapps; 2013-06-22 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Problem seems to be SOLVED - by making sure the Admob House Ads for your mediation are set to the correct app (from Sites & Apps list).

The mistake I made was in not scrolling down to see that when I added Admob House Ads as an option, that it was also giving me a choice of which app to associate with.

CONCLUSION: you can setup your Admob House Ads for each app you promote to show up in the app of your choice (so app1 ads don't appear in app1). When you set up your mediation - make sure the Admob House Ads options (which are at the bottom) are set to point to the appropriate app (this is similar to what happens when you add Admob as one of the ad networks to show in mediation).

This was somewhat helpful in pointing/reminding of that - PLUS it seems to suggest (as in the google groups link above) that Google recommends you create a new publisher ID (perhaps "Your App House Ads") and then "fully allocate" House Ads to that new publisher ID - then in your admob mediation you set "Admob House Ads" to point to that new publisher ID. Meanwhile your Admob ad network can continue to be associated with your old apps (as listed in Sites & Apps currently):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ion-on-android
    ----
    Create a new publisher ID.
    Create a House Ad campaign that fully allocates traffic - assign campaign to newly created publisher ID.
    On your mediation placement, configure "AdMob Network" with your regular publisher ID.
    On your mediation placement, configure "AdMob House Ads" with this newly created publisher ID configured to serve house ads every time.
    Allocate your mediation placement by percentages. Assign 95% to the AdMob network, and 5% to AdMob house ads.
    ----
    Last edited by adforandroidapps; 2013-06-22 at 04:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I have a pretty good experience with admob house ads..But I just can't sacrifice my revenue for boosting downloads now...
    GET PAID FOR NO. OF App INSTALLS..Sign up using this link to get $15 bonus on 1000th app install or $15 bonus on 250,000th ad imp----> ( http://startapp.com/rf4fsd1 ).....
    My Apps

8. Likes A1ka1inE, adforandroidapps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I am getting 2.14% click-through rate - so with say 10K impressions from one app's banner ad space - that's 200 clicks. Out of those how many would actually be downloading the other app ?

The CTR is much higher than for typical Admob ads - perhaps because you can choose which app is most like another to do House Ads in ..

However, as you say, for these same 10K impressions you may earn maybe $5 from Admob banner ads.

So it is in effect like paying (opportunity cost) of showing House Ads.

However, what has been your experience of using House Ads for say advertising your own newly released app ?

I also switched to doing things as Google suggests i.e. set up a separate "app" in Sites & Apps:

"App1 for House Ads"

And when creating House Ads - pointed to that as the "app" it should appear in ...

Then in mediation list - when adding "Admob House Ads" - made sure that it points to this new "app" as well.

Meanwhile Admob continues to point to the old app (in Sites & Apps list).

Also switched to 100% share for House Ads in mediation - this is to ensure that every user does see the banner ads.

I have seen that the ads do not appear immediately sometimes, but after a minute or so.

The same situation exists for admob.

Compare to this that AppBrain banner ads are the quickest to appear (perhaps because they are text and don't require downloading from AppBrain servers).
    Last edited by adforandroidapps; 2013-06-23 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    While running Admob House Ads at 100% of mediation - I have added another network "Admob eCPM floor beta" (which allows you to set minimum).

What I am going to do is - while running 100% House Ads (advertising my other app) - I will allow Admob ads IF they have very high eCPM.

I am getting eCPM of $0.53 and $0.34 for two of my apps - so I chose $1.00 eCPM as the "floor" - i.e. if admob has such high paying ad then I'm willing to have it be shown even during House Ad campaign period.

To add a "Admob eCPM floor beta" - Google advises you create a new app in Sites & Apps list - and then goto mediation list and add one more ad network (i.e. Admob eCPM floor beta) - in it's options you point it to the newly created app.

You could name the new app you created as something like:
    "app1 for Admob eCPM floor beta"

So it's name explains it's purpose.

Then in mediation, since I was giving percentages before (which are deprecated now in Admob but will continue to work for pre-existing mediation entries), switched to the $ option for setting eCPMs instead.

Turned off all other networks - i.e. mmedia, AppBrain. Just kept:

Admob eCPM floor beta - $1.00 eCPM (I figure this is double the usual eCPM so maybe good floor to use)
    Admob House Ads - $0.00 eCPM (lower paying than the Admob eCPM floor beta)

Now let's see if I can benefit from House Ads AND also earn some Admob revenue (i.e. greater revenue from fewer banner ad space sacrifice).

11. Likes amalvj123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Are any other banner ad networks doing something similar to Admob eCPM floor beta - i.e. is it possible to restrict banner ads from mmedia.com, or leadbolt or greystripe or appbrain if their eCPM is below a certain amount.

Note that even the eCPM "floor" used by Admob is an "estimate" - probably based on the performacnce of that banner ad so far - so Admob knows that this banner ad generally earns so much per 1000 impressions. Such an ascertainment would be difficult for a new ad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    One thing to report - with Admob House Ads - their stats do not seem to be updated for how many impressions have been generated for the House Ads.

House Ads are being served but remain stuck at the levels they were on the first day.

It turns out the date range was not changing (and was stuck to the range I used yesterday) - even when I clicked on the House Ads tab.

The CTR is nearly 2% (since this is a related House Ad - perhaps that's the reason) - vs. the CTR for general Admob ads before - which was 0.3 to 0.75%.

So clearly choosing the right app to advertise in can make 2x to 4x difference - and is an area which really needs to be explored.

I think with mmedia.com - and perhaps some other networks - you can choose the ads which show ?