Startapp in-app sdk needs new permissions !!

The following are the permissions shown currently in the documentation in their site

<uses-permission android:name =“android.permission.INTERNET” />
<uses-permission android:name =“android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE” />
<uses-permission android:name =“android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE” />
<uses-permission android:name= “android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE” />
<uses-permission android:name =“android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW” />
<uses-permission android:name= “android.permission.GET_TASKS” />

the last two are recently added…Are these two compulsory? because I am pretty sure some app stores will ask reasons for these two…

SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW:-“Allows an application to open windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other applications. Very few applications should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.” -http://developer.android.com/

I think sooner or later they will suspend apps over this…

I haven’t seen anything about this, but you are right!

Ariel if you read this could we please get some clarification on this? Are these permissions optional and what are they for?

I think these permissions are for “home button ads” :slight_smile: But maybe Ariel will tell us more

Hey All,

Hope everyone is good!

You’re right about those new permissions, they are indeed needed to allow the ExitAd to appear when the user clicks the home button.

It’s our bad that we didn’t give you the option whether to use this or not, as clearly these are non-standard permissions.

So to make things clear - the Home Button is an optional addition to the ExitAd unit.

It should not damage the performance, but the overall number of impressions will decrease, naturally.

So, if you don’t want to use the Home Button, simply remove the piece of code and permissions (implement the onBack part only) and you are good to go.

Hope this clears things up, we’ll modify the integration and portal to convey the optional part of this new addition.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention amalvj123.

Ariel.

Taking over the home button is frowned on by Google, btw. I don’t know if they will ban your app for this, but I know they don’t like it.

What do you mean? Could you elaborate?

The home button is there to provide immediate “HOME” access on a device. The user has that right and it’s highly inconvenient if the user has to interact with different elements before being able to access the “HOME” screen.
Google has it documented somewhere that you’re not meant to interfere with the Home button, but I can’t find it atm.