I've Joined Google

Yep, that’s right. I’m now officially working at Google, in the Corporate Engineering team. I’ll be providing front-line support for all kinds of systems within Google, including Mac, Linux and Windows machines (plus Android and Chrome OS devices of course!). In my spare time, I’ll also be having fun playing the piano, dabbling in photography, or building robots and programming them to take over the world fetch me hot chocolate.

Of course, when I’m not fixing computers at Google or dabbling in robotics at home, I’ll still be here at MMWA keeping things interesting. The Android developer community is growing rapidly, and I’m totally committed to making this site a great resource for people to share their knowledge and experience. There might be a few changes - but rest assured, I’m not going anywhere! :slight_smile:

I’m super-excited about this opportunity - obviously I’ve been following Google for some time, and I couldn’t think of a better company to work for. I’m looking forward to learning a lot in my new role, as well as keeping in touch with all of you here. I may have been a little quiet lately - that’s because I moved to Sydney (about 1,000km South) to take the job. It’s taken a while to get settled in and start living in a new city. But now things have settled down, you can expect to see a lot more activity.

Full Disclosure: In case you didn’t read this post, and just skipped to the fun part, you should probably know: I work at Google. All my posts (including this one) are my own words, and do not necessarily represent the views or beliefs of my employer. kthxbai.

Congrats man , wish you all the best ,
So it is nothing to do with your apps or this site !

Congrats David! Awesome move there!

now, can you place all my apps at the top of their categories?

:smiley:

have fun!

Congratulations mate. Good luck with the move.

congrats dude

All the best. Really happy to know that.

Note: I see a conflict of interest. Have you told them that you are running this android forum where google’s competitor ad networks advertise and you earning from it?

Congratulations.

Good for the disclosure as well. Now we can start self-censoring our posts - since our privacy is now in the hands of a Google employee (!)

Some arm-twisting and a problematic developer/poster’s id will be easier to track!

I suspect this will get rid of a lot of frank discussion by some of the shadier folks here - and will cause a lot of the others to shut up as well.

By the way - I wonder if you will inform us if Google ever asks you for the identity of a poster on this forum - i.e. does your employment bleed over to your previous “personal” life (and relationship with developers).

And on which side will you err - if you are asked to choose between personal vs. job compulsions ?

Will the privacy data from the website be available to assuage some Google need (if required by Google).

On an unrelated note - but regarding the performance of the website …

I suspect this is because of cloudflare (the caching solution for the website) using some CPU intensive scripting. The problem goes away considerably if you use NoScript plugin with Firefox - and not allow cloudflare.com (but then you cannot like a post - as I tried to do just now - I allowed cloudflare.com scripting - and immediately the Firefox browser in Mac OS X became unresponsive with a dialog box appearing later that a script from “ajax.cloudflare.com” is not responding).

When this happens Firefox on Mac OS X takes up a lot of CPU cycles - and have to stop it using Activity Monitor etc.

So I’ve been keeping “cloudflare.com” disallowed - and reading posts is much faster. But to like etc. one seems to require that permission.

@jonathon, @startapp, @Notifymob, @mobileCore your views on this update. Any changes you think will be happening from your side on this forum as you are competitor of admob.

Good luck! What a wonderful news!

People, david is working as front-line support - nothing related to Google Play or ads. So there is no conflict of interest I think.

Wow mind blown.

Awesome news I am glad you got the job you earned it. This site has giving me the marketing tools to make side money and enjoy myself. I thank you for making this forum I have met some really great people here.

Cool. Congrats to you!

Wow, congrats dude

I don’t know you but
Congrats :smiley:

Congratulations man on your career

Hey @david I hope you are still working at Google :slight_smile: Where I can find your threads about some of their classified information :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations! Best wishes to you! I like this forum, especially the Android developer community.