Unusual high admob ecpm + clickrate

Hi,

I just released an App, which is just a copy of another app of mine. Basically I just replaced the graphics and changed the name a bit - but the differences are very small.

Let’s call the fist version of the app “App A” and the second version “App B”.

App A:
CTR 1.97%
ECPM 0.54$ - based on 1,7 Million impressions.

App B:
CTR of 7.24%
ECPM of 2.32$ - based on 10.000 impressions (3k downloads within first 2 days)

I know that this is not a very large samplesize for App B, but isn’t this just a CRAZY CTR and ECPM for an app?
Has anyone experienced similar clickrates for an app? I wonder especially, because app A, which is nearly the same as app B, is so different in terms of ctr and ecpm.

You could think that I’m happy about this, but I am worried about someone clicking on my banners by using a bot? Has this happened before? I’ve read reports of people getting banned by admob for such high CTRs, so how can I be sure that everything is ok with my app?

regards,
Mkay

You probably forgot to set refresh time. And new apps tend to get higher CTR (high percentage of new users who click on anything I suppose).
You App A also has very high eCPM - what is the refresh rate you have there? 120s? Or are the ads in really easy to click place or sth?

It’s 60 secs for both apps.
Could it just be reporting error?

EDIT:

Ok, I set refresh time for app B to 60s today. During the first 2 days it was set to “Use refresh rate set in client code”.
Does that mean that if you don’t set any refresh time withing the app’s code, banners do not refresh at all? Could this have caused the high rates?

No, you have crazy eCPM though. How do you achieve such high CTR? Easy to click places or sth? Your CPC seems to be the same as I have (but I have $0.11 eCPM and 0.41% CTR). Could your new app have ads that cover (or partially cover) some content or buttons so people click on them by accident or from frustration? Have you checked on tablets and most popular screen sizes?

Well, i think it’s a combination of the following facts:

1. The banner is always visible during game time
  2. You don’t have any disadvantages by clicking the banner during the game (and users know that) - game stops and can be continued easily
  3. The game is getting boring after some time (I think at this point users tend to click on ads), but you still want to come back to the game to complete it.

I’ve got lots of other games/apps on the market, but none of them is reaching clickrates much higher than 1%

Could you elaborate on point 2? How do you make sure people know they can get back? :slight_smile:

Hard to explain :slight_smile:
They just know it intuitively. It’s not a game with levels where you will “die” when you put the phone away or stop playing. So there is no ultimate goal to reach.
You can just place your phone on the desk and watch the screen, and after 5 mins you can continue playing at the point you stopped.

I think that players often pause playing and just watch the game background - and this is the time when they click the ads.

Thanks. .

Hi,

I have an app with CTR~10% and eCPM~5$

Why? because my ad is shown during all app cycle, also is an app for children and maybe also is the key

B.

I’m guessing this isn’t with Admob? I would be careful, since ad networks can often detect false clicking etc.
What network are you using?

What is your refresh rate? If you refresh and still have CTR 10%, you might get banned. Even without refresh time 10% is very high.

Seems not possible but yes, is Admob, and hopefully not fake clicks :slight_smile:

Well if its a baby app then you’re better off with different ad units. Admob have a track record of banning devs, so I wouldn’t risk it.