Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Exit 4 Games

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Exit 4 Games

    Interesting little blog you have here.

    As an introduction, I am a small developer who has made three games for android and is working on his fourth. I am doing this part time, so it means a lot of late nights and Red Bull.

    Anyway, if you want to check out my apps, here they are:

    Rebound
    Lava Ball
    Tap Crazy

    ..and coming soon a breakout like game called "Break This!"

    Monetizing android applications is a pain in the butt and something worthy of more discussion! Currently, my revenue is about 4 bucks a day on ads and a trickle of sales. Biggest problem with the market is visibility. Without visibility, it doesn't matter how good your games are. And now, with the 'just in' category gone, things are looking even bleaker.

    Thanks,
    Charlie

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    Visibility seems to be a big problem.
    Maybe the users of this forum can help each other by making a special list that would be shown in an menu option. Like "recommendations" something like that.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    Visibility seems to be a big problem.
    Maybe the users of this forum can help each other by making a special list that would be shown in an menu option. Like "recommendations" something like that.
    I have thought of that idea before. Advertising is expensive. But, a private ad network of indie developers, where everybody includes each others ads would be a great way for startup developers to build visibility to each other. As a developer in the network, you would include the ad framework in your app, and this would give you privileges to upload an ad to the network.

    Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise or I would have started something already. Seems like there would need to be a web presence, an online database, and a common SDK for the members to use.

    I am not sure how you would balance ads for the network against ads for revenue in your apps either.

    Also, I think some sort of review panel would be necessary, where membership into the private network was restricted to only "quality" apps, whatever that means

    Unfortunately this would probably eventually fail as some apps would get really popular and others would not, creating animosity between members. Even scoreloop has its other games recommendations, but those are dominated by the popular games.

    Regards


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    Well we could start small by just making a simple list.
    You can include the app you want.

    If you want you could create a webservice and a simple library. However that would be a lot more work, and who will pay for the webserver bandwidth.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    I desided that I wanted to check out the option of a webservice.
    I have allready made a database and a xml feed in asp.net.
    I will try to get it up and running on my domain tomorrow.
    Then I will make a simple sample app that will show the feed in a list.

    Now I was thinking. How about a private ring of developers, from this forum only. You will get a publisher key, apps that get more requests are more likely to show up higher in the list.

    Running costs of the server can be done with donations.

    What do you think?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    I desided that I wanted to check out the option of a webservice.
    I have allready made a database and a xml feed in asp.net.
    I will try to get it up and running on my domain tomorrow.
    Then I will make a simple sample app that will show the feed in a list.

    Now I was thinking. How about a private ring of developers, from this forum only. You will get a publisher key, apps that get more requests are more likely to show up higher in the list.

    Running costs of the server can be done with donations.

    What do you think?
    Sounds like a cool idea!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    I made a new topic for discussions about the in app promotion.
    Let's keep this topic clean for only discussions about the app's from the opening post.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    Ball characters is same in your all games
    So next time please change game characters it's benefit for you
    Because games like creative characters like angry bird, fantasy town, world of goo, Spy Mouse and much more..
    On android market

  9. #9
    Administrator david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    Quote Originally Posted by seedload
    Anyway, if you want to check out my apps, here they are:

    Rebound
    Lava Ball
    Tap Crazy

    ..and coming soon a breakout like game called "Break This!"

    Monetizing android applications is a pain in the butt and something worthy of more discussion! Currently, my revenue is about 4 bucks a day on ads and a trickle of sales. Biggest problem with the market is visibility. Without visibility, it doesn't matter how good your games are. And now, with the 'just in' category gone, things are looking even bleaker.

    Thanks,
    Charlie
    I like your games. The 3D graphics are pretty neat, and your menus have a distinctive style. For the most part I found the games quite intuitive and fun right from the beginning. One minor issue I have though - when I first opened the high scores leaderboard for Rebound, it was showing the scores for Easy mode. But the default starting difficulty is Normal, so my score didn't show up in the list. It took me a while to realize I had to change to the Normal leaderboard to display my score.

    Rebound also crashed a few times when I opened the leaderboards. Not sure why, but I submitted an error report.

    Apart from that, great work! I agree with you completely about app visibility being an issue though. I don't think it was a good idea to remove the Just In section from the Market, as it was the starting point for many developers to get their app discovered (myself included). I guess now we've got to focus more on work of mouth, and SEO style marketing. Honestly not what I'd like to be doing as an indie developer -I'd rather be writing code for frequent updates.
    This post represents my own views, and does not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of my employer.

    My Websites:

    Making Money With Android Blog
    | Forums | Wiki | Live IRC Chat | My Apps on Google Play

    Ad Networks I Use: (use these referral links to get a bonus!)
    Supersonic ($120 bonus) | MobileCore ($100 bonus) | StartApp ($25 bonus) | AppNext | AppBrain | AppFlood

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    RE: Exit 4 Games

    I got motivated last night and did a major graphics update to Rebound.

    Check it out and let me know what you think.

Similar Threads

  1. My top 5 games for Android
    By Martin in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2015-09-18, 08:09 AM
  2. Airpush no close/exit button will cause problem?
    By drhu00 in forum Advertising Networks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2012-08-31, 08:03 PM
  3. Using OpenGL in 2D games
    By Spudgun in forum Android Development
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2012-08-17, 09:04 AM
  4. [FREE APP] Sex Games
    By ajkelley in forum Promote Your Android App
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2012-07-27, 08:43 PM
  5. Games for iOS
    By PonyLAB in forum Android Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2012-01-06, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •