Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Is publishing a No-ad version(paid) of my app worth it?

I've got free app on the play store ~90k downloads, generating about $5 a day..

I've received around 4-5 requests for a No-Ads version(paid).. But given the nature of my app, I'm not sure whether it's really worth it.

Two things.
    I update like twice a month so I'll have to keep two projects updated with identical changes.. (see the link above to know why :-)
    Second, I don't want my paid app's apk to pop up on torrents. I know that's probably way too paranoid for someone with just a 100k downloads, but still..

So, is it worth making a paid No-ads version of my app?
    I'm looking for figures. Numbers that will compel me to do it :-)

Regards,
    Xeus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Why not have an In-App Purchase that removes ads for $1.00? Personally, I did not make much money off of IAP, but it probably depends on the app.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clever_trevor View Post
    Why not have an In-App Purchase that removes ads for $1.00? Personally, I did not make much money off of IAP, but it probably depends on the app.
    Did you have direct payment or used something like Tapjoy's incentivized traffic method?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You can use Googles In-App Billing to prompt the user to purchase ad-removal. Here is a link to it: In-app Billing Overview | Android Developers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    People wants to make you rich, but you need to give them a way to give you money!

Definitely go with in-app purchase. This way you'll only need to maintain one project.

Also I feel like you can do much better than $5 a day with the ads. Check out the threads in this forum for ways to squeeze the most out of your app.

Mac
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I ave both: free apps + paid apps published (2different apks) and free app with IAP to remove ads.
    Although it's more work to keep both apks updated, there is an interest in publishing a free apk AND a paid APK: you show up twice more in the search results.
    So it depends on your acquisition strategy I guess: if you rely mostly on search engine, you might want to try publishing 2 apks.
    If you rely on paid advertising & review sites, only 1 apk with iap to remove ads might be better.

7. Likes moneymike55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh yes! 2 apk's = Twice the exposure in the play store :-O
    That's quite appealing..
    But in-app billing is a bit more neat .... I think I'm going to go with this only, considering the ongoing piracy of android apps.

Any more related suggestions would be much appreciated :-)

Mac
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    That's totally up to you of course. Just for the sake of curiosity, is piracy such a big problem for your apps?
    Unless your price is high like 5 bucks, it seems to me you don't lose much sales, since people getting them with a torrent would not buy them on the playstore anyway... Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well not really, my app isn't even that popular. Bit of a grey area, both methods will probably be just fine.

Actually I might go the incentive traffic way. I'm thinking of doing in-app billing only with an option to pay directly or complete some offers like those from Tapjoy.
    This way I won't have to keep two APKs. Plus, I'll even be able to subtly put in a "Remove Ads" option on every single page (given the nature of content of my app), so it'll always be in front of users..
    More exposure = more interaction (I hope)
    "Hacking Tutorials".

A link can change your world. (Example: See above line)

nr1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I ave both: free apps + paid apps published (2different apks) and free app with IAP to remove ads.
    This is exactly the same question i just worked on.
    Currently i'm implementing in app billings in all of my free apps (to remove the ads).
    As my 'full' versions are all ranked a lot worse than the free one's i guess unpublishing them from app store wouldn't really matter.
    However there will always be some guys not knowing that there's also a free version, so they'll probably buy directly the full one.

Is your price for removing ads the same as for purchasing the full version?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast