Number of downloads for Top New Free list?

Hello new Android developer here (porting my game over from iOS). My app is getting way less downloads on Android so I am thinking of doing some marketing on the assumption that download rates are an important part of the search rankings.

My question is: does anyone know approximately how many downloads you need to make it into the top new free list?

I think there is no static number … but in my area if i get 5,000 downloads on the first three days it goes up to the top of the top new free .

could you pls. confirm my following estimation:

so for tier2 countries, $0.2 campaign on appbrain with a budget of $1000 should bring the game to top new free of that specific country. For tier1, we can estimate a budget of $1500.

The rating, uninstall ratio, and number of +1’s also go into their ranking algorithm. One of my apps got 350k installs in the first 3 weeks but was never featured on the top new free list. One of my other apps got on the US list with 5k installs

This doesn’t sound possible. Maybe there was a bug?

USA has ~300M people, UK has ~60M people and Australia has ~20M. They are all Tier1 but number of devices/competition is very different. So $1500 spent on installs in Australia can mean a lot more than spent in USA.

And it depends a lot on the top list position. Going from #10 to #1 is a lot harder than getting to #10.

yea thats about right but as you know this should go in the first 2 - 3 days …

With a $0.2 bid you cannot reach a top free list and I seriously don’t think AppBrain can give you enough traffic for a single country to get in a Top New Free list.

$0.2 gives you about 70-120 installs worldwide per day, without country filtering.

Let’s say Germany is Tier 2 (not sure if Tier 1 might fit better though):
To get at least 100 installs per day (which won’t rank your app in DE) your bid per install has to be around $0.8-$1.2.

The installs required per day depend on category and country - games are much harder to rank in Top New Free lists than utility apps.

Hint: AppBrain is offering non-incentivized installs, so it might not be your best source for downloads if you just try to rank your apps.

Regards,

I used appbrain for several games and for the latest I was spending around $200 daily (targeting around 15 countries). That was giving me around 1000 downloads each day and helped me rank top new free lists for my category in all the countries I was targeting (#17 in USA, #12 in UK, #6 in Netherlands).

PS: This happened in January, don’t know if competition is higher now.

That’s funny, we’ve promoted some apps on AppBrain for the past months and never got above 10-15 US installs per day with a $0.2 bid.

How was your offerwall ranking in the US with a $0.2 bid for the successfull apps?

IF any one want to increase your download Direct from google ply just ping me on skype for more details kaushal.wankhede1

I don’t know how high I was on the offerwall. I was targeting around 15 countries and around 50% of installs came from the USA. So I was getting around 500 daily installs from USA.

About 3k installs a day put me in top 5 in November. I did appbrain and facebook

Number of downloads is not the only factor, there are other factors like active users, number of Google Plus Ones +1, I got to number 1 of top new free for more than a week, the downloads were massive at that point, all countries were tier 3 (not sure if 2 or 3), what you can do is to promote your app using Facebook or admob (sometimes getting clicks is cheaper than paying for downloads ie:appbrain ) and market your app in ONE country at a time, so if you are willing to pay $300 for example, spend the first $100 on one country, and check the results, if you got on the top charts check if the position that you’re in is getting you more downloads, if not spend more on marketing until you get to that point, after that start with another country, and so on.