Increase downloads

I started app development earlier this year. However most of my apps are only downloaded by a couple hundred people at most. Any advice on how to market my apps to increase my number of downloads

Please provide the application URL if possible.

You should public your game in this forums, on facebook, create your own website to promote it!
Ton of ways! :cool:

Here’s my application

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playaway.orb

Your game looks very bad, looks like it was created by an amateur with no taste and experience in graphics design. I haven’t played it yet but it looks very simple and not challenging.

I suggest you create more challenging games and with graphics way better!

Good luck with your other games, this one won’t be a hit!

Sorry I came from a PHP and MySQL background so I’m fairly new with programming games.

But honestly, could you at least try it once before talking crap about it and give me actual criticism rather than just saying this sucks

I guess the other guy was too straightforward. But the graphics is really bad and that shows up in the screenshot which most users use to decide to download or not to download.
Here’s some suggestions:

1. Better name for the app (orb is too generic, you’re up against a lot of other players)
  2. Better app description
  3. Video (just use youtube to create a slideshow of the screenshots)
  4. Better icon
  5. Better graphics
  • If you’re not good at graphics design or even colors, try to refer to other popular games’ color scheme
    I have seen a few holo-themed game that does well on app store. Like this Holo Snake
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nickeyre.snake

• You could also make use of free public domain / creative common material online. Give these orbs characters with just static images. Perhaps some bird and pigs :wink:

Would you share with us what you have tried so far? This way we can all learn from one another.

I tried your game and I don’t find it challenging.

If I saw it on Google Play for the first time I wouldn’t install it because:

1. The name doesn’t attract me;
  2. The description doesn’t say a lot of things about the game;
  3. The screenshots show the game has very low quality graphics and I like games with at least decent graphics.

That is the reason your game only has a few hundred downloads. I suggest you don’t try to market this game and spend your time better: developing more quality games.

After playing your game I can say the following:

1. the idea is good but it’s way too simple. You need to make it more complex because doing the same thing over and over again is not challenging, you need more diversity;
  2. the graphics are not good at all, you need way better graphics. Think colorful, think playful, think 3d, think challenging;
  3. don’t use dots and circles! Use animals, insects, soldiers, cannons, etc. We’re not in the 80’s anymore, games with dots and circles are not popular anymore.

I hope this information helps and I advise you to start creating quality games. Have a look at the current competition, check out the first hundred of the most popular games and learn from them!

Good luck!

Not necessarily, the success of many games is based on its simplicity, i.e. Flow Free

Yes, there are some simple games that had great success. But they were released a long time ago when there wasn’t a lot of competition on the Android market. Try releasing a new game like Flow Free now and see what happens. And Flow Free has tons of levels and variations and each of them is a new challenge.

My point is that the trend these days is to play challenging games with great graphics. Yes, we’ve all seen games on the market that are very simple and some have great success, but what are the chances any of us will succeed with such a game?

Logo quiz imo is the most successful simple game. I wish I jumped on the bandwagon early. I tried something similar almost a year after logo quiz and it got around 10,000 downloads in 2months then died slowly. If it was 6 months earlier I think that I could have got a lot more downloads and ad clicks

What the guys have mentioned before is really good advice, not many people leave their stuff aside to give advice and help the others.

I would also suggest not naming the users that rate you app badly “losers”. If I would see this, I would definitely not try the app. :frowning:

lsr.jpg

That’s hilarious. Developers are getting younger these days

I don’t understand how these logo quizes can even be on the market. They are using copyrighted trademark logos for the basis of the game. I don’t know how they get away with it.

Also Google can ban your developer account for hate speech like this, especially directed to your users.

Thanks for the advice!

To increase app downloads, the first step is to attract them by your app name, icon and so on. Then try any methods to promote your app. Lastly, app quality is the key to get longer retention on the users’ devices.

It is a long journey to promote the app. I would like to share you some methods. Hope some ones may help you.

Free ones

Exchange installs & reviews

There are many groups on networks where publishers can exchange installs and reviews each other. However, generating installs or reviews from users will take much longer time.

Social media networks

Having a Facebook Page for your app is a must-have where you can ask them how they like your app designs and features and any get feedbacks. Also, you can share any news about your app, etc. However, remember not to make your posts only about your app, though. That is boring. It’s like talking to someone at a party who only talks about themselves.

Paid ones

Buy app rating & reviews

One app can get reviews, it must get installs firstly. Reviews provider like Reviewapp4u will guide real users to install app, play and reviews it with ratings. This method will rank app top in a short period. At the same time, the traffic is from real users which is organic. It will Not have bad impact on apps.

Paid advertisements

Run advertisements on some Android forums, Google ads or social media, it is one common method for publishers to promote app. But you know, there are many people browsing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. There are less targeted audience for your app.

Generate installs

Higher ranking is extremely helpful for app visibility. App can get installs from users directly via download link. Or drive install via keyword search. The former method is straight forward install amounts singly. While latter one aims at helping app ranking in App Store search results. Keyword optimization also will guide real users to install the app via targeted keywords relevant to your app.

LOL also google can suspend your account for it if that guy reports your comment.

its december 2013 !?!

Some of the ways to increase the number of app downloads:

1. Use a catchy icon
  2. Ask your users to review your app
  3. Build a quality back links from the relevant pages
  4. Update some new features regularly
  5. Make your app free at launch
  6. Optimize your app screenshot and a video

For more information please visit us here