How to market apps in India?

I plan to release the Indian version of our game, British Logo Quiz in two weeks.

My marketing efforts for BLQ were not too good. Paid £25 (+£75 bonus) for Google Adwords, but by the time we could spend the money and the game was picked up, the 30 days were passed by and the app was dropped from Top New Free category.

I plan to spend £100+ for Indian Logo Quiz but more wisely. Where can I spend this money quickly and effectively? Should I split it between two or more options?

Are there other cheap marketing methods specific to the Indian market?

I’m also keen to hear recommendations about monetization on the Indian market. I expect more downloads than with BLQ, but smaller eCPM. For now I only plan banners. So far I only used AdMob and I would probably stick to that, but with mediation. Being Indian is InMobi a good alternative?

I’ve had the best results with AppBrain. You could get downloads there for $0.20 per download, and you can target only India if you want to.

Does appbrain create banner creatives automatically?

Totally agree! I have made it to the top 100 new games in brains & puzzles after my advertising campaign with them.

Maybe someone from India can confirm if this is true in the google play store, my app being here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitaltreegames.quizgame

i believe they do. I did not submit anything except the link to my app and the text I wanted to add.

Appannie is showing it as “not ranked” - which would suggest it is not in top 500 apps anywhere ?

Quiz Champion - Daily Ranks | App Annie

Additionally, it seems to suggest it was NEVER in the top rankings ever ??

EDIT: ok, I missed that the original poster was talking about “Top New Free” (as pointed out by posts below)

Well,this is what I have on my Developer Tools Dashboard:

Interestingly, my AppAnnie account shows that my stats have not been updated since November 11th. :slight_smile:

That’s interesting - and confusing. Anyway, thanks.

Well, I wish I knew what is the truth, hence would appreciate if someone from India could verify if its true. :slight_smile:

I don’t believe app annie daily ranks shows the top new categories. But if you look at the store stats you can see top new. Quiz champion is showing #87 for India in the Brain and Puzzle category, in top new. See screenshot below:

Yes, they do, I believe they use your play store icon. You cannot submit any creatives for the ad.

Thanks, then appbrain is working!

Nice Move, well surprisingly email-marketing and other things worked wonders for me in India. I guess you could save a few bucks with that.

Thanks. Do you have a link to the service you used?

I want to spend this £100 in one week on low rates. Is this possible on AppBrain or should I split my efforts? I f yes, where?
What about InMobi? Should I add it to AdMob mediation?

I’ve heard people get mixed results with AppBrain. For me it always spends pretty fast, but I’ve heard some people say they can’t get many downloads very fast. I would not waste my money on banner ads.

My app is now 307 in Brain & Puzzle games in India (according to App Brain… ). So, I believe they are doing something right. :slight_smile:

I have indian users and startapp and admob look steady to say the least, i’ve got no experience with inmobi , but i do know indian users are the most difficult to monetize, forget paid apps, users will turn off the internet to stop ads… so use home ads as well as interstitials otherwise there’s not much monetization opportunity as such. Implement what you feel is good and share the experience back :slight_smile:

@dbest : your app is in Top 500. It is positioned at 232 as of today
App Annie App Store Data | Google Play Top Charts India - Brain & Puzzle (Games) - Nov 19, 2013

Thanks @sisusisu :slight_smile: Its good but not good enough! I will be stopping my appbrain campaign from tomorrow. Not because I dont like what they have helped me with, but because I would like to invest the same money in a new/better app.

I believe I missed a trick in that I should have promoted the app from Day 1. I started my appbrain promotion after around 15 days of launch.