Is it possible to get downloads without marketing?

Hello all.

Is it possible to get any downloads at all without marketing?

I’m working on an app and I’m wondering whether it will get downloads or not from the google play and apple store once it’s uploaded. Do you have to pay for marketing etc or will some people download your app via the listing/searching on the sites?

Do people search apps and try new apps even though they don’t know the app?

Can you upload a new app for a price like 1$. Will some people buy it if it is an unknown app? What do you think are the statistics of this? How many purchases per week do you think is expected of a new unknown app on google play and apple store?

Best regards, Elias

It is possible in the past. For now, it may works with good keyword, but competition is higher now, and difficulties to find keyword is also higher.

If you want to get downloads without costing through APP store and Google Play, you need to do App Store Optimization. That’s related to app title, keywords, description, icon and other things.

The main issue when showcasing anything, is that you require a decent item. Without it, you essentially require a wonder for your battle to succeed. I think we are ready in here.

best woocommerce plugins

I am afraid it is not. So many choices confuse the user to choose from. Hence, only the ones that appear on the front are downloaded more. You cannot expect the people to come to your app but you will have to reach out to them initially.

i use to have 100 install a day without spending anything. but now its harder to do unless you have a niche app that people wants.

i have an app that have almost 200 4* reviews (via review exchange) but the download is crawling slow.
if i have some money maybe i’ll spend a little on ads.

Yes but you will only get like 1 downloads a day at best. That is what my app gets and I don’t know how they found out about it.

you can try share your apps in groubs facebook and pages facebook for free

We have published an article about how we ranked one of our previous apps on Google Play without marketing:
How to rank on Google Play without Marketing

The article is by far not finished and we will continuosly update it, so stay tuned.

Your case study was at 2013/2014, things changed a lot in 2016.

In our article we tried to concentrate on the basic principles of marketing without paid advertisments. Speaking from experience, they haven’t changed a bit. To this day we are succesfully publishing apps with the same techniques that we tried back then in 2014.

What things do you think have changed (beside the immense growth of competition)?

beside? lol :wink: it’s the most important factor, market is saturated, you have 50-100 competitors on every keyword and every idea, more common ideas like music player have 1000s competitors :wink:
Problem is also top200 ranking in Google play, except top new(what is not promoted in store, its just hidden category). What is in top200? From last 2 years, the same apps and the same companies who are getting 90% android traffic. Users don’t need apps, 70% of android devices where never connected to Google Play, 30% are connected and 5% of them have added credit card. Still it’s huge database but mostly, people downloads apps to daily use like weather. Apps not in top200 are not visible for most of users.

Backed in 2013, many countries still not supporting IAP/paid app.

Push & icon ads still works.

Video ads is paying good amount per view.

Buying installs and reviews isn’t popular that time.

Many big publishers still haven’t publish much apps.

Mobile phones sale are declining this year.

The list goes on, things are very different now.

It’s not like the market is saturated since yesterday. The app markets are actually saturated since like forever.

The music player is a good example about what most developers just don’t get. They see that there are 1000 competitors out there, many of them very successfull. They go on and create their own music players, without offering ANYTHING new, having at best the same, but mostly less, quality of existing music players and then they expect to make big money.

Think about it: Why would anyone try your app if there are hundreds of other apps that are proven to work.

And this problem has nothing to do with market saturation, it’s the developers lack of innovation. That’s just it.

First of all, of course users need apps. Most developers I’m talking with say that keywords are the most important factor if you want to get downloads on Google Play (if you are not promoting your app of course). Given the fact that they are found by keywords, this proofs that there are a lot of people out there actively searching for new apps.

And second, where did you get these numbers from?

This has nothing to do with ranking on Google Play or getting downloads but monetization only.

Of course many things have changed, but I’m not worried about declining phone sales. This just means that most people have a phone already and they are not buying a new one, but this won’t affect the app market because there are as many Android users as there were last year.

More countries having IAP or paid apps mean big company in those countries are interested in play store. It means more quality apps in the market, and they got more budget in marketing.

Push ads and icon ads are excellent tool for cross promotion, if you know how.

Monetisation and marketing got close relation, if your average revenue per user is high, your CPI budget is high too.

It was you asking what is changed, but why saying “of course many things have changed”