Anyone here who has started in the last three months and is experiencing success?

Just wondering how is it to start nowadays. Many of my friends are coming in this business for the past few months, but no one had any kind of success so far. They are only getting a few installs per day.

Is anyone here, who has started recently, and has some nice downloads or earnings?

Its true that now a days competition is the market has increased exponentially, still people are getting success. One way is to redefine your marketing strategy. That can have huge effect.

Yes, but how do you do that? Paid ads are extremely expensive, and not worth for indie devs with small apps, in my opinion. I used AdWords in the past, but it’s way beyond what I’m ready to spend. You really need Clash of Clans like app to make the ads worth it.

Chime in everyone, who is new on the Google Play market, and is experience some success. :slight_smile: A have several accounts, the newest is about 1 month old (I niche them down) and compared to my other accounts, I too am experiencing a lack of users (I only have one app on it so far).

Not only new developers, even many old developers are having issues on getting success.

I started at the end of August, and making about $55-60 per month with my apps.

Thanks for sharing, @asd. I’m currently at 35 USD/month with 2 apps (on my new account). I’ve just published the third app and I’m working on the 4th.

Yes, its no longer easy to publish spam on GooglePlay and make money, if thats what you’re asking. But newcomers still try to recreate flappy bird copies to this day and then complain on the forums that they don’t make any money.

I’ve released a well made app about two months ago, which is even better than the original, but I used a very similar name. The original has over 1 million downloads with very little competition and I’m stuck at 30-50 DL’s per day. I’m not sure but I think that using similar names to the originals now actually has a negative effect! Before, it helped with disoverability, but now I think that Google looks for originality only. That’s probably because the re-skinning business and spamming of GP went way out control.

They’re starting to really crack down on descriptions and keyword spam. I had an app that went live about 8 months ago get yanked. So I removed the keyword spam and resubmitted but they responded by suspending it b/c I forgot to remove the names of similar apps in the description too. So now I can’t even resubmit. But that’s ok. Because I was only getting 30-50 downloads a day and only making maybe $1 a month. So I don’t care. Blackberry, Amazon and iTunes are all making significantly more money than Google Play. Despite getting far fewer downloads. Folks with Androids don’t like paying money.

That´s a wrong assumption most of newbies make (including us). There could be dozens of reasons why a particular app succeed and that does not mean yours will, i.e. Invested in promotion, was popular when the app was less crowded, right timing, plain luck, bots, etc etc. 99% of the cases “original” will do better.

it does not matter if the app is spam or the best app in the world you will still get those ridiculous downloads… GP is overcrowded and the only way to get downloads is a combination of factors which ‘luck’ is one of the strongest.

This is really turning into a lottery game, for sure. The competitiveness is extreme nowadays. For me, even heavy advertising didn’t help a lot, but maybe I was doing something wrong.

You should aim some popular keywords and for reaching these you should also aim less popular ones. And of course you should promote your app either by paid or free advertising (social media, app review sites etc., or some share functions inside the app)

For example; let’s say you’re developing a wallpaper app. Your ultimate goal should be very popular keywords such as “wallpapers, live wallpapers, or something like that”. But this is very hard for a new app so first you should aim for less competitive keywords such as “nature wallpapers, 3d wallpaper etc.”

When you promote your app, it will get some downloads and will take a place in these keywords which will cause more visibility and downloads. By getting more downloads it will also take a place in more popular keywords and this virality will continue like this.

In addition to this it will probably be listed in the new popular apps categories which should generate a significant boost.

i have been started and just feeling success that is not too bad but we can take a start as very good.

That’s awesome to hear! :slight_smile: In what category do you publish apps?