Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mind View Post
    As an Indie, you need to figure out how to take just enough from each to make your app successful. Also, you might need some luck
    That is what I am trying to do. I hired a designer, I hired a sound editor, I am promoting with appbrain, social media and forums and I am trying to figure what to do with this damn description. I even hired someone to rewrite my description (supposedly he knows some stuff about ASO).

    So I am trying to understand some things on my own about how this works to see if I made the right choice.
    The best jigsaw puzzles game on the market and it's all free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ania.game.free

  2. Likes adforandroidapps liked this post
  3. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I did the same (hired professional guys) and also promoted heavily in WordHero..... Still Anagram Hero (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.rhs.anagram) only has 10k downloads
    SVEN Studios Corp
    WordHero - realtime multiplayer 4x4 grid word game
    Anagram Hero - realtime multiplayer Anagram finding word game
    WordSearch Hero - realtime multiplayer Wordsearch word game
    Math Hero - realtime multiplayer Math game
    Avatar Hero - Create your own Avatar

  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mind View Post
    I did the same (hired professional guys) and also promoted heavily in WordHero..... Still Anagram Hero (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.rhs.anagram) only has 10k downloads
    The graphics for Anagram Hero look great. With such a large database of users from Word Hero I find it very difficult to understand why Anagram Hero is not downloaded more.

    I've seen so many crappy games reaching the top lists in the top months... I usually try to understand why crappy games have such success and I try to implement those findings into my game. Guess what: they don't have the same effect for me!
    The best jigsaw puzzles game on the market and it's all free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ania.game.free

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avradu1984 View Post
    The graphics for Anagram Hero look great. With such a large database of users from Word Hero I find it very difficult to understand why Anagram Hero is not downloaded more.
    They are too Addicted to WordHero

    Quote Originally Posted by avradu1984 View Post
    I've seen so many crappy games reaching the top lists in the top months... I usually try to understand why crappy games have such success and I try to implement those findings into my game. Guess what: they don't have the same effect for me!
    You and me both....
    SVEN Studios Corp
    WordHero - realtime multiplayer 4x4 grid word game
    Anagram Hero - realtime multiplayer Anagram finding word game
    WordSearch Hero - realtime multiplayer Wordsearch word game
    Math Hero - realtime multiplayer Math game
    Avatar Hero - Create your own Avatar

  6. Likes adforandroidapps liked this post
  7. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mind View Post
    I did the same (hired professional guys) and also promoted heavily in WordHero..... Still Anagram Hero (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.rhs.anagram) only has 10k downloads
    Damn! That really sucks! Since your first game got 1 million downloads i assume is getting good daily downloads, why you donīt try to cross promote your old app with the new one? Itīs also very frustrating seeing so excellent games/apps having no success and then you check that fart like apps that get 2 rating stars average get to tops with more then 5 million downloads it just doesnīt make sense and proves that Google ranking algorithm is plagued with faults.

  8. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Damn! That really sucks! Since your first game got 1 million downloads i assume is getting good daily downloads, why you donīt try to cross promote your old app with the new one? Itīs also very frustrating seeing so excellent games/apps having no success and then you check that fart like apps that get 2 rating stars average get to tops with more then 5 million downloads it just doesnīt make sense and proves that Google ranking algorithm is plagued with faults.
    WordHero downloads are about 700/day. Uninstalls are higher due to large installed user base this installed it ages ago.

    As for fart apps being popular... it just proves:
    a) Google provides apps that users like and download (ie: their search tool 'works')
    b) Users know what they want better than you do

    More about #2: you probably think those users are dumb for downloading a fart app. This shows there is a miss-match between what you think the users want (you probably think they "need" certain apps too!) and what they think they ACTUALLY want as evidenced by what they download.

    You can do either:
    A) start making fart apps/etc
    B) stick to your ideas/principles and target the older audience
    SVEN Studios Corp
    WordHero - realtime multiplayer 4x4 grid word game
    Anagram Hero - realtime multiplayer Anagram finding word game
    WordSearch Hero - realtime multiplayer Wordsearch word game
    Math Hero - realtime multiplayer Math game
    Avatar Hero - Create your own Avatar

  9. Likes adforandroidapps, Magnesus liked this post
  10. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Damn! That really sucks! Since your first game got 1 million downloads i assume is getting good daily downloads, why you donīt try to cross promote your old app with the new one? Itīs also very frustrating seeing so excellent games/apps having no success and then you check that fart like apps that get 2 rating stars average get to tops with more then 5 million downloads it just doesnīt make sense and proves that Google ranking algorithm is plagued with faults.
    I think those fart apps have such a success because of the society we live in. People these days are getting more and more stupid and they don't even want to stop doing it. I don't know how it is in your country, but here most TV channels are flooded with stupid shows created for stupid people. People like gossip, they like reading about a movie star that got drunk and pissed in a park or about who has the biggest ass in the showbiz.

    I presented my game to several friends and they all said it's too much to think in my game. They don't like to think, they want to keep pressing on the screen to pop stuff, destroy it without any difficult logic.
    The best jigsaw puzzles game on the market and it's all free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ania.game.free

  11. Likes MobileVisuals, adforandroidapps liked this post
  12. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mind View Post
    WordHero downloads are about 700/day. Uninstalls are higher due to large installed user base this installed it ages ago.

    As for fart apps being popular... it just proves:
    a) Google provides apps that users like and download (ie: their search tool 'works')
    b) Users know what they want better than you do

    More about #2: you probably think those users are dumb for downloading a fart app. This shows there is a miss-match between what you think the users want (you probably think they "need" certain apps too!) and what they think they ACTUALLY want as evidenced by what they download.

    You can do either:
    A) start making fart apps/etc
    B) stick to your ideas/principles and target the older audience
    I mostly agree with your point. However, I can't understand how users bombard said fart apps with very low ratings (I assume they're looking for high-quality fart apps ), yet Google's search tool continues to place it at/near the top of search queries. Surely if the average rating is 2 stars, it can't be an app that deserves to be that visible?


    Quote Originally Posted by avradu1984 View Post
    I think those fart apps have such a success because of the society we live in. People these days are getting more and more stupid and they don't even want to stop doing it. I don't know how it is in your country, but here most TV channels are flooded with stupid shows created for stupid people. People like gossip, they like reading about a movie star that got drunk and pissed in a park or about who has the biggest ass in the showbiz.

    I presented my game to several friends and they all said it's too much to think in my game. They don't like to think, they want to keep pressing on the screen to pop stuff, destroy it without any difficult logic.
    This is sadly the truth, quite a weird turn that society seems to be taking.

  13. Likes adforandroidapps liked this post
  14. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
    I can't understand how users bombard said fart apps with very low ratings (I assume they're looking for high-quality fart apps ), yet Google's search tool continues to place it at/near the top of search queries. Surely if the average rating is 2 stars, it can't be an app that deserves to be that visible?
    That is just an indication that their algorithm CURRENTLY tends to favor 'install velocity' over review quality.

    Personally, I assume this was caused by the 4pics1word fiasco which showed that an app could game the system and have 100k 5star reviews.

    But yes, I think they should include a greater bias towards reviews but this time take into account the number of reviews. Apps with a 'wrong' distribution of reviews should be investigated by hand... or just rely on the reddit community to report them
    SVEN Studios Corp
    WordHero - realtime multiplayer 4x4 grid word game
    Anagram Hero - realtime multiplayer Anagram finding word game
    WordSearch Hero - realtime multiplayer Wordsearch word game
    Math Hero - realtime multiplayer Math game
    Avatar Hero - Create your own Avatar

  15. Likes adforandroidapps, Lockdown liked this post
  16. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avradu1984 View Post
    I couldn't find a game like mine on Google Play so I don't know the competition. Maybe the competition is the other apps that use similar keywords to mine then, even if some of them are apps, not games?

    The name of my game is "Fire Ball Escape" (released 48 hours ago). Searching for "fire ball" or "fireball" returns my game in the first 15 positions. However, it doesn't look like there are a lot of searches for these words because so far I have only seen downloads that are driven by my campaign with appbrain. So I couldn't spot any organic downloads.

    Maybe going up in rankings for "fire", "ball" or "escape" will help but my game description is already optimized for those words (or so I think).

    Some problems:

    - there are variants of your apps name - Fire Ball Escape and Fireball Escape - any "word of mouth" will lose 50% of users as they will type Fireball and not find your app. Just typing "Fireball Escape" in Google Play did NOT make me convinced that one of the apps WAS the one I was looking for. So even if user ARE looking for your app specifically they will have trouble finding it. So the name is not unique enough - you "it's only 48 hours old" was the clincher

    - I would have expected your title to be "Fireball Escape" (at least english-speaking audiences would - and not "Fire Ball").

    - your icon is not special enough or indicative enough of the type of game you have - if it is a board game, maybe put a background of a board there .. and make the fireball smaller by 25% (not a graphic artist so I don't know what I'm talking about :-) )

    - since you have space, try changing title of your app to "Fireball Run Escape" or "Escape Fireball Run" - this will give you added traffic from those searching for "Temple Run" and that class of games (though your game is probably not of same genre - so you may not get much conversion there - plus as "mind" said listing in 100th position for "run" may not get you much traffic). But you can try adding "Run" somewhere in title for a week and see it's impact.

    - reading some of the reviews there it seems users were NOT expecting the experience - this means your app is not conveying the real gameplay. Another said that the levels get challenging - perhaps you can change title to "Fireball Escape Challenge" (don't know what the traffic for Challenge would be). You can use the Google Adsense keyword tool (don't have link here - search Google) or try:
    run - Straply
    which suggests run might be better ..

    - put a youtube video up of your app being played - this is a major tool users use to evaluate your app. Edit it to show early stage, and later stage play (don't know what I am talking here - just what I am guessing maybe useful - though OFTEN with app optimization what YOU want may not be what 50% of users want - often as a developer you will have different sensibility than the 90% of public - public does not code, think logically etc. etc. or sit for hours at a computer NOT doing facebook)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2016-08-20, 04:23 PM
  2. How to use Google+ to connect with users who liked an app on Google Play
    By adforandroidapps in forum Marketing Methods
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2013-07-23, 03:46 PM
  3. [Galaxy S4] [Tool] Quick Flasher Tool for I9500/I9001
    By nickmoi451 in forum Android Devices
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2013-04-12, 07:49 AM
  4. Google has removed Ad-Blockers from the Google Play Store
    By A1ka1inE in forum Advertising Networks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2013-04-08, 04:09 AM
  5. Searching marketing partner
    By mapiko in forum Marketing Methods
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2013-03-27, 08:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •