How does AppBrain know keyword popularity?

It’s clear that Google doesn’t give away this kind of information, yet AppBrain’s “apptimizer” gives a lot of insight in search popularity and popularity in similar apps. It’s useful, but sadly they decide what keywords they’ll hand out information about based on the keywords you’re currently using. You’re stuck to that list and can’t instantly search up the whereabouts of other keywords that might work better.

How on Earth do they get this kind of information?

I don’t know if this is how they do it, but they have an app called AppBrain App Market which has a lot of users and they use it to find interesting apps. So a lot of their data might come from their millions of users for their app market app. If your looking for a tool in which you can get info on the specific keywords you choose, look at appannie.com They will let you add your own keywords.

Ah I guess that makes sense. So basically AppBrain base their information on what users put in their searches.

I already use AppAnnie by the way. Though it doesn’t provide info on search popularity, I use it daily to keep track of my keywords’ current ranks. I guess the best I can do is to look at AppBrain what is a popular search with low competition, and look at AppAnnie to see if the way I use them is successful.

They are using custom API to track market data like appanie and they are double full market data with descriptions/titles/icons/screens/promotional images, downloading to their servers and making operations via their algorithms.

There is even unofficial android market API in github(search google). Appbrain have custom and more advanced.