My new app is in trending. Here might be the reason.

Okay guys,so my new app which is a calculator app

has 4500 downloads. and is in the trending position in India.

It came into trending app on 19th of this month(june)
The app was launched on 5th (june).
Although it is at a very low position on trending ,but I think it is worth to talk about it on how it got there.

Now ,the only source of downloads for my app has been facebook groups.
I posted in a lot of groups and some of those posts got a lot of attention.
Some posts even getting 100+ likes and comments.
The retention rate has been more than 50%(although currently it doesn’t matter)

Now facebook banned me so I wont be able to test if posting more and getting attention causes any more change in the trending ranks .
But I think facebook might be the reason for trending and it can be easily decoded and repeated.
I think this might be the reason.

Link of the app being created at many places.

People installing my app from many places on facebook.(it can be easily tracked by google have u checked that when u click on a link in facebook,it is redirected first)

The posts containing the link of my app getting a lot of upvotes and comments.

These all factors might have kicked in for google’s algorithm to pick up my app and place it in the trending.
I don’t think the number of downloads has much to play here because if it was so,apps with big banners would have been able to easily achieve it and ultimately would have raised the barrier higher.

If you have questions contact me on twitter: twitter.com/AnkitS93

Screenshot 2015-06-20 02.40.28.jpg

Screenshot 2015-06-20 02.43.59.jpg

Why did u get banned? Nothing wrong with advertising on facebook.

facebook banned me for some days for spamming.

Oh sorry, I read that wrong. I thought google banned you. Anyway, I’ll do this tonight too, only, maybe not as heavily lol :slight_smile:

What was banned on Facebook - your facebook account or the app’s URL? If its the first - well get a new account :slight_smile:

Account.
new accounts are banned quickly

Were you spamming the links to the app and its URL in Facebook, or was your app posting to Facebook for your users (with/without user help) ?

Trending lists consider the difference in downloads from the last 24 hrs in comparison to the previous 24 hrs. You appeared trending because of the spike on downloads you had with the facebook posts, not because of the posts are considered in the algorithm.

Apps with big banners normally don’t appear there because the were also showing the banner the day before, hence the difference in downloads is not large

Of it was that easy to decode,don’t you think big companies would be fluctuating their budget to appear in the trending list ?

It really is that easy, test it!

They don’t need to appear on the trending list. They’re featured right there on the main page. They have twitter accounts with millions of followers and gigantic email list. Hell, I just got an email from King about AlphaBetty and I don’t remember signing up for their newsletter.

cool, very nice job

First of all congrats about your success and sorry about my english :P.

So how many groups did you manage to post your app before getting banned? You were banned from Facebook because of posting the same link in too many groups or because you were reported by users of any group? How many days were you banned? Did you tried to keep posting your app in groups after ban expired? How you think you can keep promoting your app in fb groups without falling into ban again? Maybe limiting number of groups you spam per day?

These are a lot of questions, please answer as much as you want. I agree facebook groups are a poweful way to promote for free but I don’t want to be banned from FB, I need my account in good standing. Thanks!

Nice, but since the app is free, and I couldn’t find any ads, how do you make money off this app?

The amount of downloads they could get by being trending is too small for them to care about it. And the cost of fluctuating their budget would be way way higher.
From 0 to 500 downloads in a day and you are Top 1 trending in Finland :wink:

Well when my app was trending in top 20(music player not this one)
it was getting 30k downloads a day(from 12k to 30k difference of 18k) so i think it is worth it,even for them

Trending on the list is a matter of download momentum and happens mostly for new apps in Google Play that are not saturated yet; however, the story is different for big apps or games with large number of downloads. This is because their trend has already stabilized and downloads are mainly due to search.
A new app can be easily placed on the trending list by any incentive means such as buying downloads, ASO, etc, but the case is different for big names bcause they have already used these strategies long time before and are now stable in terms of downloads.

It was trending in which country?

was top 1 trending in germany and many other countries but got no more than around 100 organic user from the trending charts.

I am here to share my experience with all. I stumble upon happy miner coupon and the payment thrills me. $10 for sign up which you can withdraw immediately. Google it and see how easiest it is to make money