Finding the right marketing strategy for puzzle game

Hi,

I’m trying to find the right marketing strategy for my puzzle game “Copu - Best Color Puzzle Game” https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.color.puzzle

Some infos about the game. The main part is a puzzle mode with currently 400+ free levels and 500+ IAP levels. Besides that it has a time challenge mode and several reward mechanisms. I integrated Admob banner ads in the puzzle screens and I show Admob/Adbuddiz interstitials between puzzles (not too often) and on app exit. Language is english.

My budget is around 1000$ + x. I would like to target single countries to achieve a rank as high as possible. I want to get visible and to finally get organic downloads.

1. Which countries to target?
Should I target smaller contries like india?
Or is it worth it to target the US since I heard the US gamers like puzzles.

2. Best marketing method?
Until now I used appbrain. Should I stay with it. Or should I try incentivized cpi offers.
Instagram shoutouts? Bought reviews?
Or a completely other approach? What can you recommend me?

3. Something else I should consider?

Any hint would be great.
Thanks, Terence

It looks like a good game. Check out your icon, something is wrong with it. You sure thats how its supposed to look? The perspective of the frame doesn’t quite work… it looks flat and strange. Maybe its better to make it just flat, without this perspective, and keep the rest of the icon?
The paid promotion works best in first 30 days, I’m not sure if it will be any good now. I think you should work on ASO.
Maybe it would be best to change some design and release another puzzle game, and try to promote it?

I sent you a p.m

@Terence I don’t think your budget is sufficient enough to target US, but I would try Facebook for cheaper/smaller countries like NZ

Thanks for your advice. I will rework the icon. I am not satisfied with it too.
Do you think a complete relaunch is necessary? No other chance after 30 days?

Thanks. I will have a look at Facebook marketing, I have never used it before.
Should I concentrate on one single country like NZ or should I target several small countries?
Do you know how much installs a day I would need to get visible in the NZ rankings?

You always have some chances, I just think your chances are smaller after the first 30 days. And I still think you should utilise ASO as much as you can. Register on Appannie and track keyword rankings for your game and how it changes when you modify description. I would also get a bit more positive reviews with your keywords, by review exchange for example. Maybe toxic will give you some more hints, he’s more experienced than me.

I would concentrate on one country, small country, preferably 1-st tier country with good eCPM/CPI rates. https://www.chartboost.com/insights/ - good tool to find one

I don’t know how much NZ installs you need to rank in specific category but I would say 1000 downloads per day per country is good enough for a top 50 app in most categories of smaller countries :slight_smile:

You know as much if not more already :smiley:

nz is not cheaper for fb. if u dont know what u r doing, fb could eat your budget in flash without getting u any rewards. it takes tons of testing and optimization on fb tolower cost per conversion an clicks. if u r planning to invest even $100 on fb, i would suggest u to first invest time in learning fb. if u got budget, higher someone to do it for you

Thanks allagainstyou. I guess I still need to read and learn a lot about ASO. I tried to use good and repetitive keywords in my description.

I will have a look at chartboost. But I am not sure if I read the maps correctly. For “Google Play Average CPI” it says US 1.40$ and NZ 2.16$. Doesn’t that mean it is more expensive to get one install from NZ than from US?
I guess it is not easy to select the right country. It should be one where I can reach visibility with my budget and provide a good eCPM. And also they should like puzzle games. Phew.

And thanks @ragnar for your warning.

Hey Terence,

I don’t know if you are aware but if you are using AdBuddiz as your main ad solution (and that our review team likes your game), you might be able to get a free featuring on Giftiz
This app features the best games on Google Play.

If your game is featured, you should gain thousands of free installs.
If you want to get more info, feel free to reach jerome : [email protected]
You can contact him on my behalf.

I hope it helps :slight_smile: