Investing in a YouTube star to play your game/app

Me and pixel had a discussion about this a while ago. It seems like whenever PewDiePie,MarkPlier and others play an indie game, it just gets very popular and starts making money. Example:Flappy Bird(PewDiePie), Fight Nights At Freddys(MarkPlier)

Now, I’m sure those guys are asking for a lot of money to play some games on their channel.

Would it be a wise idea, to make a good looking game, save some money and get one of those youtube stars to play it?

Its all about the price they ask… does it worth it for $1000? For sure. What about $10.000? (which is probably less than what they ask for) Hmmmm, not sure

I think they ask for more than 10k lol

Another way is just to have your game get very popular and those guys will have no choice but to play it since their followers will demand it.

Well yeah, the snowball effect is every devs dream :wink: The shear power of going viral is pretty scary in the big picture mind.
Sure, everyone wants as many downloads as possible, but when you think about what happened to the Flappy Bird developer it can actually turn into something uncontrollable and undesirable.

Did the option come to your mind that youtubers play those games, because they are already popular?

Yeah,I read about how the creator of flappy bird got depressed because of the fame/success.

I don’t think he expected that game to go viral. Maybe a few hundred installs.

Yes, that too but also there is a business side to it as well. They constantly get offers from developers to play their games. I am pretty sure that they also play popular games because of popular demand.

I see. Well, one of our games got reviewed by a popular brazilian or portuguese youtuber without asking him. The video got 300.000 views and we got about 2000 downloads from brazil out of it.

Wow thats awesome man. Now your game just needs to get even more popular for these other guys to review it.

What I rather wanted to say with this is that this feature was completely worthless. In the last months before we already had 600 downloads a day from brazil and got a small peak for 3 days. After this downloads where at exactly 600 again.

Ok there has been plenty of instances were a youtube star played a game before it was popular and then it got popular. Also many times a game was popular already but usually it would be a console game and not mobile that they are playing. But if you want to go the youtube route you need to negotiate these things

1. Guarantee view count- for example you pay for a video thats supposed to reach 200,000 views and the video they did only got 150,000 views. Either they have to give you game an 2 nd video probably featuring another game but showing some of your game in it or refund the difference.

2. Social Media - Also included in a package should be facebook post and retweets one a day for a week for continued exposure.

3. Share Insight - Ask them to try the game 1st before and ask them their opinion. If they sound over optimistic or just talk generally , then your game might not be good. If they point to something specific about the game they liked , then chances are your game is at least decent.

Personally buying installs seems like a safe bet if you know for sure your target audience will like your game. Youtube can give you a boost too but its a bit more risky but rewards are higher. Good luck my friend!!

@Pixelpower: At the moment you only hype something you’ve never tried out for yourself before. Provide us with some of those apps that got popular from youtubers alone and stats about them.

I am trying to hype something up??? Your reading skills need help if you call that hype , when I did say I rather do pay per install . Also the 1st post gave you 2 examples , so go look up the stats yourself most developers here already know how well the games did by name recognition alone. But the truth is your an a$$ looking for trouble , tell us your words of wisdom? Sorry I forgot you don’t have wisdom, carry on!!

Oh yeah look up the word risky while your at it, so you know what it means in the future idiot.

@Pixelpower , u are too bad to people. Looks like google has banned you and you can’t figure out some way to come out of it.

Play nice guys :slight_smile:

Actually, I tried contacting pewdiepye, It never got anywhere, I guess my game wasn’t good enough for it to come through to him. I am sure someone is filtering requests to him.

I did try something else though, and the technique is quite good with good ROI, I’ve been wanting to launch a “promotion service” for other developer around it. Just didnt get around to it yet, but hopefully soon.

@toxic, could you share the general idea?

Wow, whats wrong with you? The only one looking for trouble is you right now. The 2 examples are wrong. I have no idea how you and GameLover came up with those. Pewdiepie published the first Flappy Bird video on January 27. That was 12 days after it already reached rank 1 in US. Five Nights at Freddys was released on August 8 and already received a lot of press and reviews at launch and ranked up at desura. 4 days later Markiplier uploaded the video on August 12. Do your research properly before you spread false information, both of you.
If a Youtuber plays your game the effect is absolutely the same effect you get if your game gets press, depending on how popular the site/youtuber is and how many other sites copy the article. Getting press is easier though. This is were you should start, not on Youtube. Youtubers want clicks, so they review popular and well received games for free.

I was speculating about a conversion of 1 download per 200 views, nice to have some real figures

What the hell is your problem? I’m not spreading any false information. It’s obvious that by those guys making a review of those games, the number of installs jumped and they became successful because of it. I never implied that the developers of flappy bird and fight nights contacted pewdiepie or markplier to review their games.

I even said on an earlier post that you a game can be popular and force those guys to review it based on popular demand.

They have their own business email to contact them for that very reason.

You’ve been a negative nancy for a long time being critical too all developers on this forum, lighten up.

Me and pixel had a discussion about this a while ago. It seems like whenever PewDiePie,MarkPlier and others play an indie game, it just gets very popular and starts making money. Example:Flappy Bird(PewDiePie), Fight Nights At Freddys(MarkPlier)

@GameLover: Did you even read your own post? What you posted is a lie. And a lie is false information. Those games were already succesful and they also would have been successful without Youtube. What those games got from Youtubers was an increase of sales and downloads of only a few percent. It’s just an extra piece of press, as I already mentioned.