Amazon Developer Select program?

Hi,

I understand the part with the 500000 page impressions for an advertisement, and I like it. But could somebody please explain the 500000 Amazon coins thing? I guess I can’t just cash them in, but what else can I do with those coins?

Thank’s in advance,
Thomas.

I believe you give them to your users. I heard this whole promotion lead to situation where developers where getting 1 star reviews for their apps because they… weren’t giving away coins. I am considering Amazon Developer Select but for now it’s too much work.

Magnesus, true. It was a lot of signing up and then the different sice of all the images. And the real highlight, my video file was to big for the webfrontend, they have a sftp access and the file appears 20 min later in the developer console.
I hope I didn’t waste a whole day in that. The 500000 pageview thing sounds promising.
Thomas.

Magnesus, seems like you are right, I was just surfing their app store. A lot of paid apps are actually giving out these coins. And iff I understand this right, it is possible to buy apps for coins. If a developer who got paid in coins, will get real money, then this would mean, Amazon pays 5000 dollar for every new paid app in their App store. This sounds a lot… do I miss something?

You’re not getting the coins yourself. You can give them away to your customers.

You can create campaigns via the Promotions Console to give these Coins away to consumers purchasing any of your paid apps or in-app items.

But if someone who bought my app, and got some of the coins from me, pays another APP with those coins, Amazon will pay out real money to the other developer? If so, Amazon is paying 5000 USD for each paid app (of course not to the actual developers but in the big picture).

Basically, yes. It shows they are not to be ignored because they spend big on their Android line.

I wonder a little bit about the amount. Considering the fact that they pay this for almost every app. For example my app, I kind a doubt that they get anywhere near this amount. But hey, I like it. I am curious what comes out.

Hi,

I give you guys a quick status update:

1. I missunderstood the qualification rules for the 500000 points. In order to qualify for the 500000 points, a app needs to implement some Amazon Menu APIs. I personaly find that to much effort, so I only qualify for the 500000 ad impressions.
  2. The ad campain is running for 6 days now, and I must say, I am kind a disapointed. There is no measurable result at all. According to the Amazon reports, I had already 100000 Impressions on both of my apps, and on both of my apps, I see not more then 5 downloads.

Conclusion: To me it seems as if there is not realy a reason to publish in the amazon market at all. And considering the effort like signing up, different screen dumps and logos, extra tax statement, I would even say total fail. So unless you have some time to kill or some other good ideas, don’t even bother to publish in the Amazon Market.

Ciao, Tom.