What is wrong with my app?

Hi,
I made a game about 2-3 moths ago. It made barely 40 downloads. I post it on several app announcement forums, social media and my blog. Sometimes no one install my game whole week. It has worst stats ever among my apps. I want to know that is my game really horrible or has some promotion mistakes.

Here it is : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grid.master

Thank you.

I can suggest you to translate the app description in other languages, it usually helps
Good luck!

Sounds good! I will try it.
Thank you

To be frank, the description is pretty bad and much too short. Hire someone on fiverr to re-write it.

Really nice game bro! Thats work over there!
Downloading and ratin 5* now.

I wonder - maybe you could make the icon stand out more? It looks a bit bland (more saturation of colors could do wonders). A white background and no rounded border make it look amateurish a little too.
The simplest solution would be to make those boxes bigger and make the white background transparent, max out the saturation and consider adding a standard rounded-border rectangle below (but check what looks better).

Also your video doesn’t show what is the goal of the game - it looks like random moves doing random things. You might look into that too.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will fix the icon ; )

I guess that you use some autotranslate system for translating the descriptions.

I’ll suggest you how to translate well your game to spanish (that’s a lot of public).

First; Don’t translate the name of the game “Rejilla Master” is just VERY silly xD. Let it Grid Master (I assume is the original name of the game).

The description could be this:

"Grid Master es un puzzle en 3d, fácil de jugar. Gira los grupos de bloques 90 grados para que encajen bien; Es más dificil de lo que parece!
Simple, pero estrategico juego estilo rubik. Completa todos los puzzles de Conway por separado; Son dificiles pero no imposibles.

Entretenido juego de calculo geometrico con perspectiva 3d."

Apart from that, the description seems too short. But a video is a good marketing option; I’ve not made a video for my game, but have good screenshots (is more visual), but have a large description, check it here if you want! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sevenyearsentertainment.hotlander

(Just a silly game for checking how works google analytics, ads, and diverse sdk before publishing a real game)

You might have to increase the maturity level by at least one before Google gives you a warning

Thought to do it some weeks ago and forget, done, Thanks! :wink:

Thank you very much for translation Alarconte. I replaced Spanish description with yours :slight_smile:

I think its the icon overall. It is to complicated. I have the strategy to use humanoid images (face, or a mouth) ie. my game Voice Paint Party. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.robertloeberdevelopment.voicepaint&hl=en
A lot of people do not understand the game, but they download it, try it and deinstall it. May be the game does not appeal to them, but the icon does. Make your icon more simple, use only two or three colors and a very simple hard-edge picture.

Actually, your game looks surprisingly good and I think you should try contacting various Android game review websites. That could push things forward for you. Announcement forums are generally useless (or I just haven’t found one with some engagement) and social media works if you have or promote to a big and organic community.

You might look for some advice with your game description. No need to spam keywords, but you could expand it to add more “food” for Google Play search engine.

Announcement forums are working mainly passive - in the end the following is always true: You just have to show it to the right ppl - whereever they are :slight_smile:

Ok, I had some time and tried your game and and actually its not all that bad. Gave you 5 stars, G+ and a review.

You put in the work and people who like this type of games will download it. I really cant tell off the top of my head why you dont have the normal download rate.

First off all - if you do not promote the app, no one will find it. That is pretty normal. If this is you first app, you will need to get some exposure to it, submit it to different other stores as well (amazon, samsung, slideme, getjar), this gives you more attention.

1. The game is 10 mb … this can be a reason, ppl are not downloading it

2. From the screenshots it is not telling what the game is about - that’s a general problem with many apps - it can hinder ppl downloading it. Ideally someone can see the goal of the game on a screenshot. This can be hard in some games actually.

3. Not sure if it is currently possible to use analytics with your store page? If yes do so and look how your conversion rate is - if conversion is ok, it is more a matter of traffic not the app itself.

4. Most apps are not downloaded very often - just truth. They disappear in the meaningless deeps of the market being not ranked at all. You have some million competitors :slight_smile:

How is 10MB an issue for a game? That’s very low! Other than that, your post is quite useful to me. Will try to publish my game to Samsung store.

It’s more a psychological issue with 10 mb (I have not looked if you have enabled app2sd) not a technical. I’ve heard of people even complaining about 4mb :slight_smile:

I’m not an OP, but my Crisp Bacon game (11MB) does have install location set to “auto”. Still, 10 might have been a lot 3 years ago, now it’s rare to see a decent game with lower size.

auto works perfectly … I still wonder why this is not the default value somehow … :slight_smile: