Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mind View Post
    Given that it is a competitive game on a 3 minute game loop, the options are:
    1) one interstitial per game
    2) 3-4 banners per game

.... assuming a $0.50 eCPM for USA banners, I would need $1.50 to $2 eCPM for the single interstitial per game. Also, if there is a missed fill on the interstitial, it is the same as 3-4 missed impressions with banners.

AND you piss off the players with a interruption AND provide a break ... which allows them to exit the game. My games are SO ADDICTIVE, because they don't encourage the players to exit the app.

Now that you know all that.... do you still prefer interstitials ? Or are you just repeating what everyone else says 'because interstitials have a higher eCPM, therefore they must be better!"

@johna : I check a server and can force the user to upgrade, or just display a message. However, I only use this functionality when I introduce a backwards incompatible change (which I have managed to avoid doing so far!) from one version to another.
    Ads are bad and you are right! I know it, you know it and this is why I use less intrusive ads and I pick the location where they are shown very carefully.
    Do not interrupt the user or he/she will quit the game/app.

What I try to say with the old version - I have App ver 1.xx and after few months I did write complete new version 2.00. I did add a button with a market link to the start screen of the old version which is telling a new version of the App is there but the users are not switching to the new version. The new version is not compatible with the old one.

In your case, you have big user base from WordHero and Anagram Hero. Did you try to move this user base to WordSearch Hero? Even 20% from them may be better than promoting with paid Ads?

I think better will be with big user base and IAP. The Ads may bring nothing.. 0 income.. Fill and Impression may be OK, but do they make money?
    To keep developing games/app the developer needs income :-)
    Last edited by johna; 2015-02-02 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Since WordSearch Hero is not doing that great, you could probably experiment with it a bit - different ads, different IAPs. Unless you don't want to spend more time on it, which would be understandable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Mind, I was going to write the same thing as Magnesus, but I decided you probably know about it...

On the other hand I have a different suggestion: maybe you should run more house-ads in your other apps to direct people to WordSearch Hero? The eCPM is low, but you get decent revenue with IAP, so the game has big potential, just needs the users. Is it monetising better (per DAU of course) than your other games? Maybe its worth it to direct people to this game instead of monetising them right away? The conversion could be higher than usual as its the right niche. I think you should compare the revenue per daily active users, and try it out if its better in WordSearch Hero.

[edit]
    One more idea. You could show interstitials on exit (not every time, just sometimes), and every 3 - 5 games (count the games played by the player and don't show it more often than once per 3 games, and not less often than every 5 games). That could boost your gross revenue from ads by ~20%. While with WordSearch Hero you get nice cash with IAPs, it could be nice for your games that monetise their users less. And I don't think the users will leave your app due to some rare interstitials. Sure, nobody likes ads, but majority of the users will accept them.
    Last edited by allagainstyou; 2015-02-02 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mind View Post
    I was signed up with fbstart (Facebook's startup program). That got my $3k in free advertizing. I put in another $2k. It was heavily targeted to users of other word games. Average price was around $0.80.

It was kinda interesting.... I got 'charged' for $5k of installs over a few days. Almost ZERO of those installs actually played the game. The installs look legit. Real devices/etc. But they never actually played the game. Since there were only 5k total installs prior to advertizing and about 3k players per day at peak.... you would think that adding an additional 5k installs would show on the number of games played, however there is NOTHING on the graphs. For all I know, Facebook is running an Android bot farm so their advert network has installs (NB: conjecture only!)

So I had a short chat with my Facebook rep and asked "WTF ?" .... he asked me for the traffic graphs/etc (which I supplied) ... said he could see my issue.... and promised to investigate and get back to me. He never did.
    I got signed up with fbstart too recently. Any advice for the tools and services available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shuiwo View Post
    I got signed up with fbstart too recently. Any advice for the tools and services available?
    they have many tools to separate a fool from his money sorry, couldn't hold it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johna View Post
    they have many tools to separate a fool from his money sorry, couldn't hold it
    all tools and services from fbstart is free afaik. never intend to buy any extra ad credits from fb.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011