Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    1) No iPhone is required, you can also purchase iPod 5th gen which is much cheaper
    2) I was going to buy Macbook Air but not @adforandroidapps has created confusion for me. In Indian currency, there is a difference of $333 between the base models of the two
    3) People can always copy your app, its title, artwork, description etc. Don't step back from outsourcing. You never know if you get an super honest ios developer whom you pay good amount.
    4) Unity is best for going cross platform games but for ios utility apps/tools, you need to know Objective-C and xCode
    5) The screening of ios apps is not that strict, when similar and re-skinned apps are available on apple store too as on play store.

2. Likes adforandroidapps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    You don't have to buy an apple mac to develope for ios. You can build a hackintosh. Basically buying (cheaper) parts and installing ios on them. It used to be very hard to get ios running on non apple hardware, but it's gotten a lot easier. http://lifehacker.com/5919132/build-...apple-released
    This is what I'm going to do when my next libgdx game is ready. Except I'll buy even cheaper hardware than is listed in that article. I'll only be using it to build my ios versions. Apple can keep their trash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XdebugX View Post
    You don't have to buy an apple mac to develope for ios. You can build a hackintosh.
    I just triple boot Windows 8.1, 10.9.2. Mavericks and Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop. With a GSM USB stick I can build and upload apps wherever I am and for any smartphone.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- Android: Starfighter Galaxy Defender VR -- P-51 Mustang Aerial VR Sim

5. Likes adforandroidapps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    why do you need windows when you have mac installed on the laptop. probably windows is in our blood now.
    Anyways I know there options to use mac without purchasing it and I am doing it using VMWare but it really sucks. Going to purchase mac book air 13 inch in a day or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javaexp View Post
    why do you need windows when you have mac installed on the laptop. probably windows is in our blood now.
    Anyways I know there options to use mac without purchasing it and I am doing it using VMWare but it really sucks. Going to purchase mac book air 13 inch in a day or two.
    I need Visual Studio for Windows Phone 8 Apps. Also for tons of other coding. I could switch things like PHP and MySQL to Mac but I still need Visual Studio for C# and SQL Server for databases.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- Android: Starfighter Galaxy Defender VR -- P-51 Mustang Aerial VR Sim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javaexp View Post
    I think one other disadvantage with the macbook air is that it maybe difficult to add more memory.

If you get a 4GB Mac Pro - you can add 4GB more to make it 8GB - which should be enough for most tasks.

However, the MacBook Air advantage is that the SSD is definitely faster than the hard drive. Although a subtle disadvantage with the SSD is that it is difficult to use it in another machine to transfer your data if the laptop fails - evidently the SSD drives in the MacBook Air vary from year to year.

I was using a MacBook Air (used) that failed - and I wound up buying a MacBook Pro as replacement (added memory to make it 8GB). Though initially I could sense that it was not much faster than the MacBook Air - and some startup times may have been slightly sluggish (since MacBook Pro uses a hard drive) - but over time I see it as not much worse than the MacBook Air. At least I have the sense of security that if this machine fails, I can recover my data by taking out the (traditional) hard drive.

Maybe newer models may have differences - i.e. maybe now the MacBook Pro has an SSD option also or something .. don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Are there issues with hackintoshes - regarding Apple App Store - and Apple checking some hardware key for validity etc. ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    @Crichton333 yes its like what is more important for you. If windows phone dev is more important and you want to spend lot of time on it then working on VM will be pain. Likewise if you want to go full blown into mac/ios dev world then its better to have mac. Its just a matter of priorities. For me, managing VM's and multiple OS sucks big time.
    Last edited by javaexp; 2014-04-22 at 07:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adforandroidapps View Post
    I think one other disadvantage with the macbook air is that it maybe difficult to add more memory.

If you get a 4GB Mac Pro - you can add 4GB more to make it 8GB - which should be enough for most tasks.

However, the MacBook Air advantage is that the SSD is definitely faster than the hard drive. Although a subtle disadvantage with the SSD is that it is difficult to use it in another machine to transfer your data if the laptop fails - evidently the SSD drives in the MacBook Air vary from year to year.

I was using a MacBook Air (used) that failed - and I wound up buying a MacBook Pro as replacement (added memory to make it 8GB). Though initially I could sense that it was not much faster than the MacBook Air - and some startup times may have been slightly sluggish (since MacBook Pro uses a hard drive) - but over time I see it as not much worse than the MacBook Air. At least I have the sense of security that if this machine fails, I can recover my data by taking out the (traditional) hard drive.

Maybe newer models may have differences - i.e. maybe now the MacBook Pro has an SSD option also or something .. don't know.
    I have purchased an external WD 1TB HDD. Taking my backups all the time on it. Just visited apple store yesterday and macbook air is super light + they are giving $200 off on iphone/ipod. I would probably get an ipod and save some money as I don't want iPhone for my regular use.

gcc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Did you purchase macbook air 13 inch as well?
    I will go for the same if it does not heat up with eclipse dev work.

iPod will have bigger screen size i guess. how you gonna estimate the layout stuff for smaller screens?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast