Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I use libGDX but converting to iOS is still too much work for me - mostly because I hate using Mac, even keyboard shorcuts are wrong. I develop Android apps on Ubuntu. All else was already well explained by adforandroidapps, nothing to add.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dav800 View Post
    The freelancer can simply reskin both apps and upload them as his own. Then you'll have a competitor that you have paid for and who is more knowledgeable than you about both the app and the platform. This is what's stopping me porting to ios
    That is probably true on Android - however, on iOS the impression is that there is closer screening of whether your app is similar to another i.e. to the extent that you maybe able to stop a very similar app. However, maybe in reality the iOS screening process is not that efficient - I have no experience with iOS yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnalogPresent View Post
    i far as i know converting a LibGdx Project to IOS (using RoboVM) seems to be a big pain in the ass and the 'end result' is unstable and battery eating!
    Maybe its has improved since i tested it, but some month ago it didn't look like a real opinion.
    I don't have direct knowledge - but my understanding is that maybe truer for some other game engines - like Unity etc. - where essentially it seems the whole setup is a canned process which dumps out the platform-specific stuff. Perhaps there are areas where one would need to do some tinkering in the code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I had one or two simple app ideas which I thought I could probably get working on iOS without too much trouble.

But if it is something that has to have facebook integration and all that kind of stuff - assuming it is as time-consuming as on Android - then that is a lot of work (which for programmers tends to get easier over time since they develop their own libraries for doing it simply etc.).

So just as for android, one starts to understand how to do certain things - and those things are reused in the next app - in a way it tends to get easier. Thinking about iOS one feels that if it is a simple tool app or something then perhaps that could be done and make it a paid app or something - but if it is something that needs to be integrated with iOS or the facebook/twitter etc. type of thing - it just seems (maybe I am wrong) that each of those things will require time.

Also android has some advantages in the intent model - i.e. you can offload some of the stuff to other apps - I have a feeling this would require explicit programming on iOS to do each of the things which in android we take for granted as being easy.

Please tell me I am wrong about this stuff.

5. Likes gcc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
    I use libGDX but converting to iOS is still too much work for me - mostly because I hate using Mac, even keyboard shorcuts are wrong. I develop Android apps on Ubuntu. All else was already well explained by adforandroidapps, nothing to add.
    This reminds me of one more observation - if you start using the Mac for any length of time, it completely screws up your Windows hand movement memory.

That is - when you switch to a Windows machine to do some simple thing you will feel like a complete idiot - because you will be reaching for different keys.

However, perhaps if one is using BOTH platforms on a daily basis - then it probably IS possible to develop an instant mental switch when you switch machines.

But whenever I move to Windows to something, I wind up clicking all the wrong things - command-w on Mac to close window - compared to ctrl-w on Windows - keys are in completely different places. That sort of thing.

Perhaps same thing happens with Ubuntu - which is closer in terms of those keyword shortcut behavior to Windows (since Linux grew up on the Intel architecture - which was most easily found on Windows machines).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Yes, Ubuntu has practically the same shortcuts as Windows. It's easy to switch between them.

gcc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=[/QUOTE]

Nice info.
    Someone mentioned here that hiring someone for IOS porting is risk taking. i am agree with that.
    I have 1 whole week in my hand and i will purchase the Mac-Pro and will start playing with it to download the necessary tools.

Do i need to purchase the iPhone as well or IOS Simulator is available there?
    What language i need to use in IOS development? i think basic java part should be the same and can be re-used.
    I need to find out the IOS equivalent of android SDK related calls and then build it.
    Tell me if i am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcc View Post
    I have 1 whole week in my hand and i will purchase the Mac-Pro and will start playing with it to download the necessary tools.

Do i need to purchase the iPhone as well or IOS Simulator is available there?
    What language i need to use in IOS development? i think basic java part should be the same and can be re-used.
    I need to find out the IOS equivalent of android SDK related calls and then build it.
    Tell me if i am wrong.

The Android (Eclipse) stuff is similar - similar way to download off Google websites etc.
    The Mac stuff is Xcode - available on their Mac App Store - I forget if it was paid or not - I'd downloaded it (but never used it yet !!).

I think the Xcode has an emulator also - but common sense would suggest that one should get an iPhone (some may suggest getting a used older model if you don't care about battery life etc. - maybe others would say to get the latest so you build for the latest screen sizes or something - maybe others can comment on that).

But the greatest reason for getting the iPhone - is as suggested in earlier post above - that I can't see how you will motivate yourself to start to feel "in the zone" with the "Mac way" or whatever. Or get ideas about how to improve things for users - if you don't yourself use it a lot.

A lot of times developers get ideas for apps after seeing their own frustration with doing something on that platform - I assume that something similar may operate in the iOS space as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Xcode has an emulator. Should be enough but I heard it has some weird differences, so some things might work differently on emulator and device. I bought iPad Mini - it's cheaper than iPhone - and it's completely useless. I have like a dozen of tablets and iPad is the only one gathering dust in my home (I even found a use for Blackberry Playbook - as a desk clock). I just can't get myself into Apple world I think. Maybe in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
    Xcode has an emulator.
    Actually you can emulate any iOS device. Wasting money on all iOS devices of all sizes for testing is just bananas unless your app/game is making crazy money.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- Android: Starfighter Galaxy Defender VR -- P-51 Mustang Aerial VR Sim

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast