Holiday season eCPM, truth or myth?

The holiday season is here and with it there could be a surge in ad revenue, both due to more clicks and due to more money per click. It would be interesting to hear from other developers what your general trend is, especially if your trend is negative! It would be interesting to find out if it’s true or if it’s mostly a myth.

Without going into details about ad networks, eCPM:s, DAU:s, etc, what has your holiday season trend been so far?

I noticed a drop in eCPM during late October and early November. About five days ago my eCPM went back to normal and the last three days have been significantly above normal. It could be a coincidence, but I think I might be seeing the beginning of the holiday surge.

I have friends who really boosted their ads income lately but I can’t say if it’s because the holidays are coming.

It’s a really interesting question for me as I’m struggling to complete and release my first app right now.

I’ve asked myself: Should I wait so I have time to create more levels or is it more important to release it in early december and upgrade it later?

What do you guys think? :confused:

As far as i know, it is true that the ad income increases in the holiday season, especially December. I observed with my admob account for the past two years and i can say that the ad income increases by 20 to 50%. With other ad networks, i’m not very sure.

I noticed a drop in eCPM during late October and early November. About five days ago my eCPM went back to normal and the last three days have been significantly above normal. It could be a coincidence, but I think I might be seeing the beginning of the holiday surge.

Isn’t the 15th of November very early for the holiday season?

Always notice a substantial, but gradual increase. Peaks on Christmas day as you’d expect with about 2x-3x my usual revenues and then a huge drop off in January :frowning:

That’s also because people are getting new toys for Christmas from the Santa Claus, so they spend time trying new apps too, and thus impression number is much higher.

That’s dead on @A1ka1inE…I generally see a boost starting around thanksgiving and ending the middle of January. Last year between Christmas day and New Years day, my Amazon Kindle paid app sales blew GP completely out of the water. No contest…I thought that was very odd, but it may be something to consider if you have paid apps and don’t use amazon already…

Not really… Online shopping is taking over these days, and black friday/cyber monday advertising is huge. It’s all cranking up right now, I’m ready this year. :slight_smile:

from being an affiliate for 6 years…yes…whenever xmas comes…leads/traffic goes up…mainly because people are more in a buying attitude

Yes holiday surge is about 2x regular revenue which is soooo gooooooooood :smiley:

My last 7 days have been 30% above average in terms of eCPM. Looks like it has begun. :slight_smile:

I have a paid app , how different is publishing on amazon compared to gp ? Also what % of money do they take from you on each sale?

It’s not much different at all except it’s a little more strict on accepted content and it requires 1 or 2 extra icon sizes. You get 70% of each sale just like GP. Many more kindle users are willing to pay for apps on amazon, that’s the biggest difference. Amazon is of equal importance to me as a distribution source, it performs very well in my experience. One of my paid games on amazon consistently earns more or equal to it’s freemium counterpart on GP per day. It definitely worth it at Christmas.

Thanks , I was looking for someone with amazon experience , I’ll upload there , even though they ask 99$ :mad:

Amazon account is now free. No need of 99$.:slight_smile:

what the…! really? you made my day man! free virtual beer for you :smiley:

Anyways does admob and google analytics work with it? my app has libraries which use play services…

Having AdMob and Google Analytics is fine, but I don’t think you can add Play Services, they won’t accept such apps I think.