[APP+Widget] Linear Clock

Pro version
Free version

After weeks of hard work my third app is finally ready and available in the Play store.

Make your phone more linear with these stylish widgets.

Linear Clock adds a whole new way of stylish time display to your phone. The unique linear timeline is a fun and nice variety of other digital or analog clocks which are available for Android.

Make your home screen a bit more linear with the various widgets which you can customize with various themes and scale options, the useful wizards will help you to achieve this without difficulty.

Any comments, suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

I just got the first review of any of my Android apps, it’s on a Dutch Android site:
http://www.androidplanet.nl/45805/linear-clock-een-aparte-klok-voor-je-android-homescreen/

I really like the idea here. It’s an interesting new way to look at the time - and it seems more fitting with the digital world we live in today. More like a progress bar for time, rather than a spinner (like the traditional clock) :slight_smile:

Noticed you’ve got 3 different app versions - I don’t remember seeing this sort of arrangement before. Normally it’s just free and pro. I’d be interested to hear how this goes for you.

One note about compatibility. The free version was compatible with my Galaxy S2 and Transformer Prime. But the Pro version said it was only compatible with the Transformer Prime (tablet). And the Lite version wasn’t compatible with either! Not sure if this is deliberate, but it was certainly confusing for me, trying to purchase an upgrade.

The free and pro version worked for me on my Droid Bionic and my Eee Pad Transformer. However, the lite version is not available in my country.

Strange thing about the compatibility, all the apps use the same base code. I have to check the manifests. Konja wich country are you from? I had a discussion about tax with David and some countries may still be unchecked on one of the lite version.
[hr]
Btw I really have to look the compatibility issue because the galaxy 2 is one of the most used devices out there.
[hr]
David can you tell me more about the compatibility issue, do you have a custom rom installed?
I’m confused because in my developers console it states the apps all have the exact same compatibility specs.

I have a sort of custom ROM installed. It’s a pre-release version of Android 4.0 for the Galaxy S2 (leaked from the official Samsung build still in testing). Have never had any problems with compatibility for other apps though.

Here’s a more detailed look at what I see on the Google Play listing for your apps:

• Linear clock Lite:

This app is incompatible with all of your devices.
Optus Samsung GT-I9100
This item cannot be installed in your device’s country.
Asus Transformer Prime TF201
This item cannot be installed in your device’s country.

-Linear clock Pro:

This app is compatible with some of your devices.
Optus Samsung GT-I9100
This item is not compatible with your device.
Asus Transformer Prime TF201
Compatible.

And as I mentioned, the Free version works on all my devices.

Maybe this is to do with price targeting, more than the manifest itself?

Really strange. I cannot see any reason why one app would be compatible and the other version is not.
About the installation of the lite version in your country. Australia was not checked in the lite version. I Guess thats the reason. So unchecking a country results in people in that country not able to buy your product. The pro version had Australia checked and a price filled in. If correct you should now be able to buy the lite version.
But that still does not give answer why it shows an incompatible message on your galaxy s2 device. Might it be because your galaxy s2 is rooted and I’ve checked the copysecurity option for my paid versions…
If that’s the case then it sucks because I do not want to uncheck that option. Maybe the new license system will fix this. But I would have to implement it.

I will send a question to Google about this problem.

For me it’s the same thing.
The free version is compatible with my ZTE Blade while the other two paid versions are both incompatible. This is what it says for me:
"This app is incompatible with your Telenor ZTE ZTE-BLADE.

Telenor ZTE ZTE-BLADE
This item is not compatible with your device."

I’m from Sweden and my device is not rooted, if that helps.

I got this in my email:

If your app no longer appears in Google Play after enabling Copy Protection, please note that our copy protection relies on being able to trust the build of Android that the app is installed on. Therefore, we only show copy-protected apps to known good builds of Android. If a specific port of Android is not a known good build (e.g. some “Custom ROMs”), Google Play will not display copy-protected apps to these devices. If the users switch to an official version of Android, they’ll be able to see your application again.

To avoid this issue in the future, we advise disabling copy-protection and using the Licensing Service instead.

So it seems some custom or unsupported builds will give this problem.
I will switch over to the new license service in the upcoming update.
It will take some time because the new license service takes more time to implement. I will post here as soon as the new update is available. Sadly I need to send my computer in for repair, so I do not have access to my development tools the coming days.

They have announced the deprecation of copy-protection long time ago, so maybe it is not longer supported and no-one at google does care for it - that could mean, that they do not maintain their list of “trusted devices” any more.

Licensing should solve your problem. I have used that in some of my non-popular apps and have not get any complains about it, so it seems to work well :slight_smile: But you lose the ability to publish at multiple stores.

Well I could create specific versions for other stores. But then they must have some copyprotection. I’m still in doubt how much a developer profits from copyprotection. If they want to crack your app they will succede even with the most advance protection. But on the other side, it would be nice if there is some barrier that delays spreading of illigal copies. But you are right, you might have to keep your app from some stores. How much will that cost vs the cost of people not buying because they can download the app illigal for free.

I’m in the US. Also the cost if the pro version is $1.06 usd, I would make it $.99. Even though its not that big of a difference I think you will get more downloads if you did change the price.

Yes, its a strange price thats because for this month the pro version has a discount. Next month the price will go up to a nice round number.

Ah yes, that’s probably it. I can purchase the Pro & Lite versions now, for my unrooted Transformer Prime. But my Galaxy S2 is rooted, and it still says incompatible with this device.

Might be worth looking at the LVL, if it will let you sell your app to rooted users too.

Update to 1.1:

• Added Dutch translation
  • Due to old copy protection there were compatibility problems with some devices.
    This is replaced with an Activate dialog, uses Google Play License. (Pro/Lite)
  • Changed the size of the preview images in the configuration wizards.

David can you verify that the Pro version is now available for your rooted device?

Update to 1.3:

Bug fix: On tablets with Android 3.0 or higher the menu could not be opened in fullscreen mode, therefor the configuration wizard was not accessable. In fullscreen mode you can now open the configuration wizard by tapping the clock once.

Linear clock update adds more styles

Today Linear clock got an update: version 1.4
This update adds the option to select a flat border for the small and large widgets and also adds a glass color scheme to the pro version.

Download at Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cubeactive.linearclockfree
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cubeactive.linearclockpro

Changelog:

• Added flat border option for widgets
  • Added glass color for widgets (Pro version only)
  • Performance optimization

Hi Martin,
here’s my review about your Linear clock:
Linear Clock : A different way to display the time on your Android device | Tech Cookies

It’s a really nice widget! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the review! :slight_smile: