Using celebrities in apps

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been answered. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything. When somebody tries searching the same question hopefully they find this thread.

I just started getting into developing mobile games and just recently launched my 2nd game which is currently in top 10 in UK in the strategy category and now working on my 3rd game.

My question is are we allowed to use celebrities in games? My next game will have unlockable characters so am I allowed to base some of these unlockable characters on famous people? What about fictional characters?

If the fictional characters already exists and some company has copyrights of it then you have to take their permission and also you can’t use celebs pics without their permission they can sue you if they want…

You’re allowed to use copyrighted material and celebrities for comment, parody etc. under the parody law. Google and celeb’s law companies might threaten you and then it’s up to you if you’re gonna cave in or fight.

No you are not allowed ,
If you use celebrities photos , your game will rejected during the automated review after you publish it

Actually you are allowed to use any public figure under the parody law. That means you can use their photos (free photos), names, biographies… for comments, parody, comedy etc. It’s Google’s/Apple’s choice not to publish your app.
I am speaking from first-hand experience. I have an app which in the first 3 versions used celebs without any problems after contacting the distributors (Apple and Google) and quoting the parody law in 2 countries. I decided to remove the celeb characters afterwards when I had enough money to invest into custom character graphics.

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been answered. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything. When somebody tries searching the same question hopefully they find this thread.

I just started getting into developing mobile games and just recently launched my 2nd game which is currently in top 10 in UK in the strategy category and now working on my 3rd game.

My question is are we allowed to use celebrities in games? My next game will have unlockable characters so am I allowed to base some of these unlockable characters on famous people? What about fictional characters?

Hi Jaynesh

Really great questions you have hear. I actually had this very same question at a time when I only started developing and thought that adding celebrities to my games would make them more popular and interesting - I mean people will be more interested in playing a game or using an app with someone they know in. It’s just easier that way, rather than trying to warm people up to a new character.

Now - while it depends on what exactly you would like to do with the celebrity images, illustrations or videos, sometimes only the specific character / celebrity would work in order to achieve a certain goal in your app or game. At these times, is good to read through all the laws governing this, or even get in touch with the company that represents the celebrity. If you tell them what you are planning there MIGHT be a VERY VERY SMALL change that they’ll get back to you - the chances are even smaller if you are thinking of including some of the bigger celebrities.

A great alternative is to take the time and put in the effort to create a whole new character that you can introduce to your audience and make them warm up to the character. Try to make the character as unique as possible and give the character some “spirit” or “feeling” so people can connect to it.

If all else fails and you cannot create your own character, here’s a few links that could help you with the laws:

Fair use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parody copyright laws set to come into effect - BBC News
parody legal definition of parody
What Is Fair Use? - Copyright Overview by Rich Stim - Stanford Copyright and Fair Use Center
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/375953/Guidance_for_creators_and_copyright_owners.pdf

These are all excellent documents detailing the laws and how to use copyrighted material on your website, apps and publications.

I really hope this helps you. If you have more questions, do let me know :slight_smile:

Hello,

Hi Jaynesh

Really great questions you have hear. I actually had this very same question at a time when I only started developing and thought that adding celebrities to my games would make them more popular and interesting - I mean people will be more interested in playing a game or using an app with someone they know in. It’s just easier that way, rather than trying to warm people up to a new character.

Now - while it depends on what exactly you would like to do with the celebrity images, illustrations or videos, sometimes only the specific character / celebrity would work in order to achieve a certain goal in your app or game. At these times, is good to read through all the laws governing this, or even get in touch with the company that represents the celebrity. If you tell them what you are planning there MIGHT be a VERY VERY SMALL change that they’ll get back to you - the chances are even smaller if you are thinking of including some of the bigger celebrities.

A great alternative is to take the time and put in the effort to create a whole new character that you can introduce to your audience and make them warm up to the character. Try to make the character as unique as possible and give the character some “spirit” or “feeling” so people can connect to it.

If all else fails and you cannot create your own character, here’s a few links that could help you with the laws:

Fair use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parody copyright laws set to come into effect - BBC News
parody legal definition of parody
What Is Fair Use? - Copyright Overview by Rich Stim - Stanford Copyright and Fair Use Center
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/375953/Guidance_for_creators_and_copyright_owners.pdf

These are all excellent documents detailing the laws and how to use copyrighted material on your website, apps and publications.

I really hope this helps you. If you have more questions, do let me know :slight_smile: