Update timing

I’ve been working on some updates for the live wallpaper I have in the market. I have a fair bit of new stuff in the next release, and I heard somewhere that if you leave it at least a week between updates it can push you into the “just in” section in some marketplaces.

So what I’m wondering is whether it’s worth trickling out the updates, a bit at a time and just over a week apart in order to get a place in the “just in” sections where possible, or just put out all the improvements at once now and hope that the fact it’s a better app will increase sales?

Anyone have any thoughts?

The apps are currently on SlideMe (paid only - free will be submitted soon), Amazon and Android Market.

At the start I was updating very often to get rid of bugs - one user complained about it because there was no new features and he was thinking that it was senseless … well :slight_smile:

on slide me you get on the justin section instantly - no matter how often you update - I have not watched amazon, but it seems a update doesn’t have any impact on download numbers at all - they need around a week or so to approve the update so you dont need to wait before you publish anyway.

Android Market does not have a just-in section.

I’m still a little upset that the Android Market removed the Just In section… :wink:

I’d recommend just releasing updates as often as you need to for the users’ benefit. It doesn’t seem to have much impact on the Android Market whether you release updates, say, every 2 days or every 2 weeks. The main thing is - keep the updates coming. In my experience, whenever you don’t update an app for a long time, the downloads will slow down significantly. That’s even without a Just In section.

Maybe the update time has impact on search results …

Probably a bit like the main Google Search, where more recent pages are given higher relevancy for a given query.